Why did Nintendo start going back to 2D platformers recently?

#21iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 9/30/2013 10:52:41 AM
chris1001 the sequel posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Lordrv posted...
3d platformers sell like s***, so Nintendo responded to the market situation. It's that simple really.

Because Mario Galaxy only sold like 10 Million units right?

And New Super Mario Wii sold 26 million and was a lot less expensive to make.

It still sold well.

But in that same sense. I honestly don't get why people eat up 2D platformers. They aren't boring, but I've always thought they are fairly difficult, and again, very repetitive.
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#22chris1001 the sequelPosted 9/30/2013 10:58:26 AM
iKhan88 posted...
chris1001 the sequel posted...
iKhan88 posted...
Lordrv posted...
3d platformers sell like s***, so Nintendo responded to the market situation. It's that simple really.

Because Mario Galaxy only sold like 10 Million units right?

And New Super Mario Wii sold 26 million and was a lot less expensive to make.

It still sold well.

But in that same sense. I honestly don't get why people eat up 2D platformers. They aren't boring, but I've always thought they are fairly difficult, and again, very repetitive.

Different strokes. People who grew up on the challenge tend to prefer it. Also What's hard for one person is easy for another. You had trouble with Super Mario DS's first world? I thought the game overall was fairly easy.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#23Nin3DSFanPosted 9/30/2013 11:12:23 AM
According to VGChartz

2D Games:
Super Mario Bros. = 40.24 million
Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels = 2.65 million
Super Mario Bros. 2 = 7.88 million
Super Mario Bros. 3 = 22.47 million
Super Mario World = 26.07 million
Super Mario Land = 18.14 million
Super Mario Land 2 = 11.18 million
New Super Mario Bros. = 29.27 million
New Super Mario Bros. Wii = 27.12 million
New Super Mario Bros. 2 = 6.42 million
New Super Mario Bros. U = 2.09 million

3D Games:
Super Mario 64 = 21.92 million (including DS)
Super Mario Sunshine = 6.31 million
Super Mario Galaxy = 10.89 million
Super Mario Galaxy 2 = 7.07 million
Super Mario 3D Land = 8.67 million

Generally, 2D Mario games on average, sell a lot more than 3D games...
---
Gentlemen, we tnodah now!
#24csalvi42Posted 9/30/2013 11:14:07 AM
easier to make the games look graphically impressive, less developer resources, and a large market and sell rate on nintendo platforms, not to mention it is a genre that nintendo has always outpaced other developers until maybe rayman legends came out.
---
Animal Crossing NL Dream: 5399-2276-5180
White Version FC: 0991-1102-7167
#25Oni_TaedoPosted 9/30/2013 11:51:03 AM
Because 3D games are usually crap.
For every Maximo, Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, or Ninja Gaiden Black, we get a million pieces of trash like Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta.

Hell, if developers are especially generous, we can get "quality" games like Dante's Inferno, or GTA IV (though, GTA V is surprisingly good, I'd say it's the best in the series, which isn't that unfeasible, given the series' history of being tripe).

2D games are usually good, at worst.
Hell, even the worst Mario, NSMB2, isn't even THAT bad. Why? Because it's hard to screw up a 2D platformer. Once in a while, we'll get something similar to The Wizard of Oz for the SNES (watch AVGN's video on it, everything he says is fairly accurate. I used to own the game, and had Vietnam styled flashbacks while watching his review), but most sidescrollers are fairly good.

Case in point, Sonic Generations Classic Sonic.
Some of the best level design in the series. Hell, Modern Sonic's levels are pretty good, too. If they were entirely 2D, I'd say they were great.

So, it's something to do with quality.
2D games are easier to make, thus it's nigh impossible for them to be poo poo, like most 3D games are.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#26kingjam1Posted 9/30/2013 11:52:54 AM
They sell more and are easier to produce. Why make 3D platformers when the 2D ones cost less and make more?
---
Can't think of anything