What is the WORST thing Nintendo has ever done?

#221gamebuyer22Posted 10/6/2013 1:06:49 AM
GuyFawkes5 posted...
gamebuyer22 posted...
Wii and Wii U. Atleast they were smart enough to abandon Virtual Boy.

why are u even on the U boards then?

The point of a message board is for discussing or stating opinions. A lot of people have agreed with what i said.
#222MetroidJunkiePosted 10/6/2013 1:47:08 AM(edited)
gamebuyer22 posted...
The point of a message board is for discussing or stating opinions. A lot of people have agreed with what i said.

It's your opinion but it's hard to claim that systems actually selling well are mistakes. You can say you don't like them but to call them a mistake is to imply Nintendo is losing money on them.
#223Edouard_kerooPosted 10/6/2013 1:41:11 AM
VeiledGenesis posted...
The Virtual Boy wasn't really that awful. The visuals, for the time, were quite good. It really just boils down to being poorly conceived. But, some of the games were rather fun.

The worst thing Nintendo has ever done is blatantly ignore various aspects of evolved technology, and the direction of the gaming community. For two generations Nintendo failed to understand that online integration was an important part of new era of gaming. I realize that apologists will say otherwise, but it's become almost necessary. There is also the complete lack of competitive hardware, and refusal to adopt a more partner-friendly mantra with 3rd party devs, but I digress.

I do think, however, this next generation will determine the fate of console gaming in a major way. Microsoft and Sony have done little to evolve their machines, and Nintendo is relying on generational gimmicks more than ever just to stay relevant.

It's really annoying when people pass on great games because there is no online.
Is online a cool ting ? Yes. Necessary ? no, we did fine for 30 years of gaming without it.

Online is the most random thing to rely on, so for me it's THE generational gimmick. People give a short attention span for a game these days so finding people online to play with is not really a matter that depends on you ultimately
---
WDIYShowcase:0134 0338 9685 3305.PSN:Omilun
DK3 OCRemix album :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzm5yJW1ZSY&hd=1
#224LvthnPosted 10/6/2013 9:59:26 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
gamebuyer22 posted...

It's your opinion but it's hard to claim that systems actually selling well are mistakes. You can say you don't like them but to call them a mistake is to imply Nintendo is losing money on them.

Disagree. N64 and GameCube both turned a profit if I'm not mistaken. N64 was a huge mistake - if we're judging solely by money made, they may have turned a profit, but they sacrificed much larger profits. Handing Sony market dominance on a silver platter was a dumb move. GameCube nearly put them out of the console market.

You could argue that Wii, as a whole, was a blunder. Yes, it sold fantastically well to people who don't buy video games. It also gave Nintendo the image of catering to non-gamers, being gimmicky, using inferior hardware, and mass producing shovelware. Note that I'm not saying that image is necessarily 100% accurate (though it's clearly not 100% inaccurate either), but once the fad wore off, we got...Wii U. So yeah, in the long term Wii may have been a bandaid at best and burned yet another bridge at worst.

I'd also say that selling well does not equate to being a good product. AOL was, at one time, very popular. It still sucked.
#225SplatterHouse55Posted 10/7/2013 1:51:13 AM
Lvthn posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
gamebuyer22 posted...

Disagree. N64 and GameCube both turned a profit if I'm not mistaken. N64 was a huge mistake - if we're judging solely by money made, they may have turned a profit, but they sacrificed much larger profits. Handing Sony market dominance on a silver platter was a dumb move. GameCube nearly put them out of the console market.

You could argue that Wii, as a whole, was a blunder. Yes, it sold fantastically well to people who don't buy video games. It also gave Nintendo the image of catering to non-gamers, being gimmicky, using inferior hardware, and mass producing shovelware. Note that I'm not saying that image is necessarily 100% accurate (though it's clearly not 100% inaccurate either), but once the fad wore off, we got...Wii U. So yeah, in the long term Wii may have been a bandaid at best and burned yet another bridge at worst.

I'd also say that selling well does not equate to being a good product. AOL was, at one time, very popular. It still sucked.

I couldn't agree with this more. The ripple effect (of going with carts instead of CDs on the N64) has undermined every Nintendo home console since. Many people seem to be unaware how close Nintendo was to calling it quits (on the home console front) when the GC didn't move units like they hoped it would. The Wii was, for all intents and purposes, a hail mary that would have surely ended Nintendo's interest in continuing to make home consoles if it didn't catch fire like it did.

It wasn't so differet with Sega and the Dreamcast. They practically knew from the begining that the Dreamcast was a last ditch effort, hoping that it would catch fire enough to fight another day. Of course, it didn't, but if the Dreamcast (like the Wii) sold 100 million consoles, there's a strong possibility that we'd still be talking about Sega in the hardware business today.

If the N64 had been CD-based, many of the games that made the PSX a hit may have ended up on the N64 (possibly as exclusives), and would have continued popular perception (at the time) that Nintendo consoles are reliable consoles for strong 3rd party support AND fantastic 1st party output. This would have made the N64 much more successful in moving units, as well as made the GC a system that many more would have looked forward to.

If Nintendo was as successful with the N64 and GC as Sony was with the PSX and PS2 (trading places, if you will), I'd wager that the Wii (as it exists) doesnt't even see the light of day. I think Nintendo would have been enboldened enough to make a comparable HD system (to what we saw with the PS3 and 360) with, perhaps, the motion controls as an option to give the system a unique quality. Given those circumstances, I certainly don't think they would have built a GC with motion controls. With much more success under it's belt, and strong 3rd party support, it's hard to imagine they would have created the Wii as we know it.
---
Ever since I started working, every day has be worse than the last, so every time you see me it's the worst day of my life. - Office Space
#226StarBladeEdgePosted 10/7/2013 2:11:17 AM
originalhipster posted...
IMO the worst thing Nintendo ever did was backstab Sony when they were working on the Playstation together. It forced gamers to buy 2 consoles or miss out on every gen following the fiasco. If the deal would have worked out you would only have to spent half as much on consoles. Also MS would never have picked up any steam and then policies like "pay again for Internet you already paid for" would not have become industry standards.

attracting people like you here
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI
Sazh: ''Blasted ****ball !!''
#227LightningaIePosted 10/7/2013 4:56:21 AM
samus_arsch posted...
m0986-8 posted...
Region Lock and Downloads tied to the system instead of an account.

As much as Nintendo has paranoia for piracy, gamers have paranoia for this. What the **** is the problem with games being tied to a system? Do your console break all the time? I don't see the huge problem people are making out of it.
You gotta how Nintendo fanboys damage control objectively dumb ideas.

Electronics don't last forever and there's always a chance of something going wrong with them even if it isn't the owner's fault. Or what if somebody breaks into your house and steals your Wii U?

Yes, tying your account to the system is a dumbass, overly paranoid idea. Only the most desperate of fanboys would defend something that logically bankrupt.
#228PokejedservoPosted 10/7/2013 8:41:47 AM
Plenty of the subjects mentioned here are quite frankly rather petty reasons (and some of them are even based off of inaccurate information but I won't mention names). However the old N64 sticking with Cartridges/Nintendo and Sony's deal falling through is indeed a known issue in which even to this day Nintendo is still trying to fix some of the damage that the N64 brought in. While I am one of the people who believed that both Nintendo and Sony did some rather questionable deeds regarding the deal here but its not the only reason why I do believe this is very much a "grey" issue here. Here are a few other things to think about.

For starters if the deals for Sony and Phillips did not go through couldn't Nintendo just go with a different media company then? Actually during the time namely the late 80's no they couldn't keep in mind that Sony and Phillips were the folks who made the CD format so back then Nintendo couldn't go with anyone else. Could Nintendo have gone with someone else to help with the CD format during the 90s? It is rather uncertain since plenty of other companies have tried their hand in other video game systems at the time (like Panasonic and the 3DO for example).

Here is another thing a lot of people believed that if the Nintendo 64 was disc-based it would've been a perfect solution and Nintendo would've had all the 3rd party support. But the question is would that be true? Keep in mind that yes Sony Playstaton was indeed a CD-based system which made it a lot easier to develop for than the N64 but while PS1 was indeed CD-based so was the Sega Saturn and being CD-based didn't save Sega at all now did it? (Though yes I am well aware that the Saturn was a lot more successful in Japan than the US and I am aware of the various problematic mistakes that Sega of America did at the time but the point still stands.) Would 3rd parties have given the N64 more attention if it was CD-based? That is most likely true but would there be any 3rd parties that still would've jumped ship over to Sony even if the N64 was CD-based? Whose to say for sure but I do believe its highly plausible due to...

A. Nintendo's controlling methods during the NES and SNES eras, in which keep in mind that some of Nintendo's methods were deemed illegal over the course of the SNES era.

B. While yes the SNES had very good 3rd party support but the Sega Genesis wasn't exactly a slouch in this department as well.

These are some things to keep in mind here.
---
Behind The Voice- http://behindthevoiceactors.com/
My VA Resume Site: http://pokejedservovoiceactingresume.wetpaint.com/
#229BlindFanboyPosted 10/7/2013 8:44:40 AM
Calling it the Wii U and not Wii 2.
---
More Zelda U info please.
#230GEKGanonPosted 10/7/2013 9:00:08 AM
Why is this discussion even going on this long?

Flat out, backstabbing Sony was the worst thing Nintendo ever did. The Virtual Boy was bad, but with the N64 on the horizon, nobody really cared when Nintendo cut and ran form that little black and red monstrosity.

Backstabbing Sony though? Nintendo created their own competition. They allowed Sony to produce the unit that would unseat Nintendo as the number one gaming company, then instead of profitting from it themselves, they told Sony to kick rocks. The Playstation then outsold the N64, and Sony managed to snag some of Nintendo's previously exclusive developers, like Squaresoft. As well as the Wii did, the gaming world is still in a place where Sony and Microsoft are seen as being better than Nintendo, and the business model that got them there wouldn't have existed if Nintendo hadn't cut Sony loose in the first place.

On top of all that, after cutting Sony loose, Nintendo partnered with Phillips, allowing them access to Nintendo franchises like Zelda. As we all know, that turned out horribly, and even more than with the Virtual Boy, Nintendo did everything they could to erase the CDi from history.
---
Steam Name: gekganon