Do you guys think that maybe the game industry is being destroyed by a luxury...

#11Edouard_kerooPosted 10/6/2013 1:30:47 AM
I'm actually surprised the price of game stayed kinda stable while the cost of games has going trough the roof...Actually counting in millions. There weren't thing like voice acting and online mode back then, but it's players who ask these things.
EA warned us that the price of game will rise this gen, and I think publishers were smart enough to hide it through dlc for now, but I guess it won't be enough this time.
---
WDIYShowcase:0134 0338 9685 3305.PSN:Omilun
DK3 OCRemix album :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzm5yJW1ZSY&hd=1
#12manmousePosted 10/6/2013 1:34:26 AM
problem with the 90's was misinformation was really common since there was no fact-checking via multiple sources on the internet.

so people could claim things about different consoles and you had a tougher time deciding what was true and false since the main source of media, gaming magazines that came out once a month, didn't exactly act as a complete guide to hardware specs and every detail about what was going on in the industry.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#13nonexistingheroPosted 10/6/2013 1:50:52 AM(edited)
manmouse posted...
problem with the 90's was misinformation was really common since there was no fact-checking via multiple sources on the internet.

so people could claim things about different consoles and you had a tougher time deciding what was true and false since the main source of media, gaming magazines that came out once a month, didn't exactly act as a complete guide to hardware specs and every detail about what was going on in the industry.

Misinformation is still really common these days. Internet does make fact checking easier, but I still encounter plenty of people on this site who believe false information as fact. There is just so much that people aren't able to know and look up everything. Even me as a very informed gamer, sometimes pick up something false (although eventually I do learn the truth).

Anyhow, I do think that the integration of social media in gaming has a negative effect (or more precise, in games). It's just a matter of time before we see some big budget PS4 and XO titles that keep bothering you to share what you just did on facebook or that keep bugging you to upload a video or something, with no way to turn that off. And then you'll accidentally click yes at some point and rage.

As for the other part... reviews are often just untrustworthy. Games that shine on replay value are reviewed wrong by nearly everyone, because they review it has a game that you go through once. Well, Dynasty-Warrior type games usually receive even worse treatment. They get played for 30-60 minutes and get a score between 50 and 65 slapped on it. And regardless of actual quality of the game, big budget games receive high scores due to hype and flaws get ignored.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#14AkaneJonesPosted 10/6/2013 1:59:50 AM
We've had message boards since 95. The main difference it that, blogs and twitter don't have moderation in the same way. And Youtube allows idiots 15 minutes of fame. However with that said I don't thing those are the biggest problems with the industry. It's the video game review industry and website hits making their money from them that's the real problem. There's basically no public accountability for flagrant lies posted as journalistic fact to generate web hits. The death of practical hard print version of video game magazines, have allowed industry blow hards with personal agenda to take over.

There's no such thing as journalistic integrity anymore. It's nothing more than a ratings grab. And in the business of Video Games it run by a load of ammeters that are played off by big the guns. They also appear to be head by a specific group of FPS, action, Online mutiplayer game type of people. So those are they type of games that always get good reviews, where experimental games with different controls get slammed.
#15Cowboy082288Posted 10/6/2013 2:21:51 AM
Since the game industry is larger now than it's ever been, no I do not think the game industry is being destroyed by anything. I would say it's growing.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#16Cat333PokemonPosted 10/6/2013 2:32:15 AM(edited)
I'm part of that group of people who despises the direction technology is going. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the fact that computers are getting more powerful, the Internet is becoming faster, and products are working better. However, I absolutely loathe smartphones and have a strong disdain for cell phone abuse in general. It's probably obvious why, so I'll simply state that they are the ultimate distraction toys and killers of conversation for those who don't know. I hate social networks, "online" devices that shouldn't be (like cars, TVs, AND REFRIGERATORS?!), plastic people who cause drama because of the anonymity, and anything that serves as a corporate honeypot for private information (most Google products; see below for YouTube).

Now, what does this have to do with the gaming industry? First of all, smartphones have taken their toll on handheld gaming. I'd hazard a guess that quite a few parents have simply bought their kids a smartphone instead of a feature phone plus a Nintendo DS, citing that an Android or iPhone combines both a way to reach them and a portable gaming system with free/cheap distractions. (These same parents are probably also the ones who don't understand cell phone companies' subsidization to make the phones appear cheaper up front.)

Next, I can't believe Nintendo had to be the first to incorporate a stupid social network into their console. Seriously, the day I get a Wii U, I'm going into the parental controls and disabling Miiverse. If it comes out for 3DS (which they said it would have by the end of last summer), I'll be doing the same there.

Anyway, to analyze your real question, I think the biggest thing killing gaming is YouTube. It's nice to see videos of people getting wacky glitches and such. (I'm personally working on a project to create a site to archive glitches and such without the problems of YouTube...let me know if you're interested in details.) However, what's not nice to see are all the ridiculous Let's Plays by people pining for views and advertising revenue, along with stuff like pirated materials, being the primary source to listen to game music--or any music--by all my friends (sound quality on YouTube is terrible for music), Miley Cyrus, and enough boring videos to shake a stick at. The site is optimized so much for people to make things look like they're meant for TV, and the actual interesting stuff (like glitches, creative ways to play levels, real walkthroughs) is buried below the clutter. On top of that, there are all the gaming news reporters. Pretty much, Let's Plays and gaming news have taken away all the interesting spoilers from gamers. It seems like so few people actively avoid them. I have a few buddies (and myself) who do avoid them on purpose, but they seem few and far between. Of course, YouTube can also be a great way to check out whether you like the style of gameplay, but so what? I've been able to do that for years just by looking at screenshots. Videos haven't really made that judgment any better.

</rant>

It's past 2 in the morning here, so I probably am just in a ranty mood.
---
Am I a cat, or am I a Zoroark?
http://floatzel.net ~ Black 2: 2151-5975-6240 ~ 3DS: 0774-4419-4333