What's with the infatuation with how many games a console has?

#11Cowboy082288Posted 10/6/2013 2:07:37 AM
sonicnewboy posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
sonicnewboy posted...

Yes, I see what you're saying, but not every video game consumer goes into a store with that kind of mindset. Some people actually do compare video games to one another purchase--I for one, research my games before hand to make sure that I am getting the better bang for my buck, and will look at reviews and compare different games.

And didn't the Wii sell pretty well, considering how it didn't have that many games to choose from (at least compared to the Xbox and ps3)?

I mean, Nintendo has been known for making systems that don't get very much 3rd party support, yet they are still pretty successful IMO. They haven't gone under, at least.

Thats not a good comparison:
http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/

Wii has 2,751 titles
Wii U has 115

Also the wii is Nintendo's best selling console ever, it also has the largest game library of any Nintendo console. You can also see on that list that the most successful console in history (PS2) also had the largest game library of all the consoles.

That's not a good comparison. The Wii U hasn't been out as long as the Wii.

Hmm maybe I wrote it incorrectly, my point is that successful systems also have large game libraries. As of now the Wii U library is to small, it needs to grow. Maybe nintendo can pull it off, idk. For now I do think that the Wii Us small library is hurting sales for it. Though there are many other factors, I think that is certainly one of them, and maybe the biggest.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#12manmousePosted 10/6/2013 2:16:56 AM
sonicnewboy posted...

And didn't the Wii sell pretty well, considering how it didn't have that many games to choose from (at least compared to the Xbox and ps3)?

I mean, Nintendo has been known for making systems that don't get very much 3rd party support, yet they are still pretty successful IMO. They haven't gone under, at least.

as for 3rd party support, keep in mind their consoles with the worst 3rd party support (N64, WiiU) have not been and are not exactly good market performers. N64 came out second to last in its era, with only Saturn behind it. but even Saturn outperformed the N64 on their home turf in Japan.

and as for their best performers, like the NES, SNES, and Wii, those had more 3rd party support than their other home consoles. so 3rd party support does really help Nintendo when they get it.

anyway PS3 has 793 games, 958 games, and Wii has 1222 games. so technically that comparison doesn't work as the Wii has more choices on it, and outsold its competition.

just like NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 all have the most choices of their eras (PS1 and PS2 had historically high numbers of games, like RIDICULOUSLY huge libraries compared to their competitors) and all of them won their generations. hell, the PS1 sold triple the units of the N64, and the PS2 sold over 7x as many consoles as Gamecube.

more choices is a common theme in the winner of EVERY major gaming generation so far.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY