Is putting Smash Bros on the 3DS a mistake?

#11METALINGUS5150Posted 10/6/2013 12:33:56 AM
It's going to cannibalize sales on one of the platforms since it's not exclusive.
#12CasualGamersPosted 10/6/2013 12:34:47 AM
METALINGUS5150 posted...
It's going to cannibalize sales on one of the platforms since it's not exclusive.
#13gameryoshiPosted 10/6/2013 12:52:51 AM
Huge mistake. If there HAD to be a 3ds version, it should have been an entirely different game.
#14AkaneJonesPosted 10/6/2013 1:01:29 AM
VanderZoo posted...
Couldn't you say the same for Mario Kart?

Not really Mario Kart 8 is the next Mario Kart, it is being developed with the flaws of Mario Kart 7 in mind. They are basically giving Mario Kart 8 features to attract the Mario Kart Wii crowd. Unlike the 3DS game it will be more accessible to those console players who played Wii. Mario Kart 7 will be two years old buy Mario Kart 8's release.

Smash by comparison will be simultaneously developed, and released around the same time. While it's true that handheld versions are considered less, people will assume you're getting the same basic experience since the main difference is stages no fighters. Mario Kart 7 will have no direct effect on sales of Mario Kart 8, but Smash Bros. 3DS will have an effect on Smash Bros. WiiU.
#15bartz90Posted 10/6/2013 1:02:19 AM
Nintendo isn't competing against Nintendo. They make money no matter which version sells more.

The versions have differing content. People who want a "genuine Smash experience" or the "definitive version" will probably go for the Wii U one first anyway.
---
-
#16DiscostewSMPosted 10/6/2013 1:12:25 AM
VanderZoo posted...

I think the main reason why the Kart games work well with each other is that they alternate between releases. One on console, then some time down the road, it comes out on the handheld, then switches back later on. With Smash in this case, they are being released simultaneously on both systems.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#17demesjos2Posted 10/6/2013 1:12:26 AM
gameryoshi posted...
Huge mistake. If there HAD to be a 3ds version, it should have been an entirely different game.

This.
---
Currently playing - SMT IV, Suikoden V, waiting on Tales of Xilia to arrive at my door
#18sonicnewboyPosted 10/6/2013 1:26:27 AM
bartz90 posted...
Nintendo isn't competing against Nintendo. They make money no matter which version sells more.

The versions have differing content. People who want a "genuine Smash experience" or the "definitive version" will probably go for the Wii U one first anyway.

Agree. The Wii U version will probably be much better, considering how console versions are always more fleshed out than handheld versions. And I have seen a couple of commenters who are getting both! So maybe it's not as big a mistake as it sounds. Won't know till it releases really. I think it's a great idea. More money for them.
#19EoinPosted 10/6/2013 1:39:56 AM
It's probably not a mistake for Smash Bros sales in general. It'll sell (far, far) more across two consoles than on just the Wii U.

It definitely, unarguably is a mistake in terms of driving Wii U sales, since the 3DS game will drastically reduce Wii U sales. There will still be some additional hardware sales, and I'm sure the attach rate for the Wii U version will be extremely high, but Smash Bros would have given the Wii U a large boost and it'll now only provide a small one. We'll never be able to quantify that, of course.

Iokua posted...
It's not a mistake, as each game will have a different focus.

Only a small core of people will care about the "different focus" of each version. The majority will see, side-by-side in shops, something that seems to be the same game with the same name at the same time. One will be cheaper, and be on a console that they (most likely) already own. The other will be more expensive, and be on a console that they (most likely) don't already own. That settles their buying decision almost immediately.

For the people that will actually research the game, the majority of them will check a few screenshots and review scores, and assuming any kind of good reviews for the 3DS version, that's what they're most likely to pick.

VanderZoo posted...

You could say the same for a surprising number of Wii U games. It's difficult to determine the extent to which that affects Wii U sales. There's the argument that many people are getting their fill of Nintendo games on the 3DS and ignoring the Wii U as a result, and a potential counter-argument that 3DS game sales drives interest in Nintendo games and therefore might increase console sales (although this is a difficult argument to make since although it's theoretically sound, we're not seeing that effect in reality).

AkaneJones posted...
Not really Mario Kart 8 is the next Mario Kart, it is being developed with the flaws of Mario Kart 7 in mind.

While this is a good point (and a real difference), it's difficult to tell to what extent people care about that. The cost of buying a console and a game could easily change the thought of "I want the new Mario Kart" into "I already have Mario Kart on 3DS and I can play that anywhere, that's good enough".
#20FireFlower16Posted 10/6/2013 2:48:40 AM
demesjos2 posted...
gameryoshi posted...

This.

This x2