Nintendo has exceeded expectations and was able to develop WW:HD in 6 months

#31vidalmorazaPosted 10/7/2013 9:45:45 AM
MetalKirbyPlush posted...
vidalmoraza posted...
They did a direct port (they did not changed a single gameplay thing) but the God of War Collection developers did it on 15 weeks

If we're talking about WW HD, that's kind of a complete lie.

That is for GoW Collection
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#32plasmatic5Posted 10/7/2013 10:19:20 AM
king_madden posted...
domranguay posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
Isn't this the same game that they were using to learn how to develop for the Wii U and HD gaming? Are you telling me that they didn't start until January, long after their other titles were in development? That their "learning" title came after not learning on their original HD titles?

Is that the case or not? Because that's what it looks like to me if, in fact, WW:HD didn't start until January. Pikmin 3 was obviously in development before then, for starters.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has multiple teams that work on separate games but are all usually just referred to as "Nintendo" (EAD is one of them) edit: OK, it looks like EAD covers more than one group too...

WW:HD was the "warm up" for the team that will be working on Zelda Wii U.

how is it a warm up when all they were doing is fixing up an old game? what kind of practice did it give them? the next zelda will surely be completely different form this game.

Nintendo owns and runs multiple studios (EAD, Retro, Monolith, HAL, Intelligent Systems, etc). Each studio doesn't work on only one game. A studio can be large enough to split into teams (See Platinum: working on both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 at the same time). The benefit to having multiple teams is that the teams can communicate and certain members can be involved in both projects at once.

For instance, at EAD, Aonuma was a member of the Wind Waker HD team, the A Link Between Worlds team, and the Zelda U team. These are 3 separate teams. Now that Wind Waker HD is done, I believe the team is going to be integrated into the Zelda U team so that they can help the Zelda U team as well as relay their experience with working in HD. The benefit to having 3 teams is that Aonuma is working on all 3 at once and can apply the ideas he's learned/learning from Wind Waker HD, which had a faster development, to Zelda U. He can also apply the things he's learned from A Link Between Worlds to Zelda U (something he's stated he's doing). So you gain certain benefits from having multiple teams in the same studio.

So in a sense, WWHD was a "warm up" as was A Link Between Worlds. The experience and knowledge gained from these titles will be used when making the next game, Zelda U. But this is true for all development. Each game can be thought of as a culmination of everything you've worked on in the past because as a developer, you are CONSTANTLY learning and changing your technique based on your previous titles and how they came out.

inb4 this gets ignored :(
---
Changed my sig after about 6 or 7 years. It needed to be done.
#33king_maddenPosted 10/7/2013 10:34:19 AM
plasmatic5 posted...
king_madden posted...
domranguay posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
Isn't this the same game that they were using to learn how to develop for the Wii U and HD gaming? Are you telling me that they didn't start until January, long after their other titles were in development? That their "learning" title came after not learning on their original HD titles?

Is that the case or not? Because that's what it looks like to me if, in fact, WW:HD didn't start until January. Pikmin 3 was obviously in development before then, for starters.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo has multiple teams that work on separate games but are all usually just referred to as "Nintendo" (EAD is one of them) edit: OK, it looks like EAD covers more than one group too...

WW:HD was the "warm up" for the team that will be working on Zelda Wii U.

how is it a warm up when all they were doing is fixing up an old game? what kind of practice did it give them? the next zelda will surely be completely different form this game.

Nintendo owns and runs multiple studios (EAD, Retro, Monolith, HAL, Intelligent Systems, etc). Each studio doesn't work on only one game. A studio can be large enough to split into teams (See Platinum: working on both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 at the same time). The benefit to having multiple teams is that the teams can communicate and certain members can be involved in both projects at once.

For instance, at EAD, Aonuma was a member of the Wind Waker HD team, the A Link Between Worlds team, and the Zelda U team. These are 3 separate teams. Now that Wind Waker HD is done, I believe the team is going to be integrated into the Zelda U team so that they can help the Zelda U team as well as relay their experience with working in HD. The benefit to having 3 teams is that Aonuma is working on all 3 at once and can apply the ideas he's learned/learning from Wind Waker HD, which had a faster development, to Zelda U. He can also apply the things he's learned from A Link Between Worlds to Zelda U (something he's stated he's doing). So you gain certain benefits from having multiple teams in the same studio.

So in a sense, WWHD was a "warm up" as was A Link Between Worlds. The experience and knowledge gained from these titles will be used when making the next game, Zelda U. But this is true for all development. Each game can be thought of as a culmination of everything you've worked on in the past because as a developer, you are CONSTANTLY learning and changing your technique based on your previous titles and how they came out.

inb4 this gets ignored :(

but what was it they could take from this? im sure a port or remake or whatever this was, is completely different than building a game. so im just wondering what the warm up is. with everything you said, they couldve shared ideas without making a port. Yes it had a faster development but the game was pretty much already there and they had to fine tune it. other than seeing what fan response was, I dont see what they can learn from this.

I just hear a lot of people here say it was a warm up, and the dev says they just didnt want a huge gap in between zelda games.
#34_Sovereign_Posted 10/7/2013 12:01:47 PM
TomoEK9 posted...
Motobug321 posted...
unitedpros posted...
Less effort. Full price.
PROFIT!!!!

It's not full price...

10 dollars less than full price isn't a massive discount.

With today's gamers it is....it amazes me how many people buy newly "used" games for $5 cheaper. Also, with all the fuss made over the $10 online passes ( game was still the same price with or without it.....think for a second), yes $10 is a massive discount for entitlement.
---
Consoles I've owned : NES SNES GEN N64 PS DC GC PS2 Wii PS3 X360 Wii U GB GBC VB DS 3DS
I do not return to topics, I say my peace and move on
#35heartlesshero17Posted 10/7/2013 1:49:48 PM
king_madden posted...
heartlesshero17 posted...
After that, I was told by staff, that this would not take too much time to develop. It takes a long time to develop a brand new game, so I thought it would be a shame to not have a Zelda game on the Wii U for a while. So I felt like it would be best to deliver something that can be done quickly and began work on the HD version.

So does this mean its not a remake from the ground up like people claimed and is really just a very nice looking HD port? Sorry if I misunderstood

I think the more troubling thing here is this:

"so I thought it would be a shame to not have a Zelda game on the Wii U for a while".

looking like there isnt going to be a real zelda game on here for a good while, if one is planned.

Well I don't think we were supposed to be expecting one too soon anyways. But it shouldn't be TOO long since this game is all wrapped up now they can focus more on that while implementing whatever ideas they felt worked in WWHD
---
Pain, first in the world to beat Penance in FFX International NSG!
^ it will happen!!!!
#36plasmatic5Posted 10/7/2013 5:49:17 PM
king_madden posted...
but what was it they could take from this? im sure a port or remake or whatever this was, is completely different than building a game. so im just wondering what the warm up is. with everything you said, they couldve shared ideas without making a port. Yes it had a faster development but the game was pretty much already there and they had to fine tune it. other than seeing what fan response was, I dont see what they can learn from this.

I just hear a lot of people here say it was a warm up, and the dev says they just didnt want a huge gap in between zelda games.

As people have already stated, Nintendo is new to HD development. So learning how to utilize the graphical power of the Wii U so that they can make their environments and their character models (which look superb in WWHD) can look fantastic. But besides that, a big thing the Wind Waker HD did that I know I was worried about was the Miiverse integration. For Mario, it was simple because it had a simple level select and they integrated it and it was fine. Zelda is an entirely different story. You immerse yourself in the world of Zelda, so how does one bring up Miiverse integration. They tried the Tingle Bottle (I loved it) and can take ideas for future Zelda Miiverse integration from this attempt. It might not seem like a big thing to take from this, but a failed Miiverse integration could have easily ruined Wind Waker HD by ruining the immersion factor that's so important in Zelda games (especially the console ones). That's definitely one major thing that they got out of doing WW HD.
---
Changed my sig after about 6 or 7 years. It needed to be done.
#37Stink_ApePosted 10/8/2013 12:50:44 PM
cool.
---
NNID:Skunk_Ape
http://i.imgur.com/1mQDO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/0HcWR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/MXLXOt2.gif
#38Lefty128kPosted 10/8/2013 1:00:10 PM
They should have taken another couple months and got it up to 1080p 60FPS.
#39MetalKirbyPlushPosted 10/8/2013 1:12:25 PM
vidalmoraza posted...
MetalKirbyPlush posted...
vidalmoraza posted...
They did a direct port (they did not changed a single gameplay thing) but the God of War Collection developers did it on 15 weeks

If we're talking about WW HD, that's kind of a complete lie.

That is for GoW Collection

Whoops. Yay me and not getting context.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#40Schwepps01Posted 10/8/2013 1:56:03 PM
gameG3ni3 posted...
unitedpros posted...
Less effort. Full price.
PROFIT!!!!

Hmmm...full price? Pretty sure it cost me less than a normal game costs on last gen systems now.

It's actually overpriced for an HD remaster, and it costs as much as it did back in 2003. Despite the fact that there are way fewer gameplay programmers, story writers, character designers, etc. WWHD is pure profit.