Will FPS's be the Leading Genre of 8th Gen?

#21robomagonPosted 10/7/2013 12:07:35 AM
Maybe sandbox games will become the standard.... I can dream, can't I?
#22Lord_FroodPosted 10/7/2013 3:28:11 AM
I think it will end up being the "movie game" genre (TLoU, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain) that will eventually take over. FPSs lead 7th gen anyway.
---
"PS3 is my favourite hentai game." - TakayaNoriko
http://youtu.be/ROk_XmYV_WI
#23DarkAdonis123Posted 10/7/2013 3:44:56 AM
FPS will definitely be the lead genre.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#24stop3Posted 10/7/2013 4:24:49 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see more 3D platformers too!

But of all the next gen games I'm excited about, the one I'm most excited about it Destiny... which is a FPS.
#25aluminafalconPosted 10/7/2013 4:27:32 AM
CLupula posted...
aluminafalcon posted...
Personally I think the fps market is going to be too crowded next gen. With battlefield ,borderlands, planetside,firefall,destiny,killzone, halo , titanfall ,cod and possibly battlefront and mass effect, there isn't enough consumers to support all those franchises. Will make devs likely to move away from fps to avoid becoming a mega flop.

Mass Effect isn't a first person shooter. It's a third person shooter with light RPG overtones.

I'm quite aware mass effect isn't fps as battlefront isn't either yet. However with ea saying they are going to use frostbite in everything its not a real stretch to imagine either making the switch. That's why I used the word possibly lol. Anyway the point remains the average consumer doesn't have the time or money to support so many fps. Plus we don't know what effect China getting rid of its ban on consoles will have.
---
fc 2279 7884 6593
#26Skill4ReelPosted 10/7/2013 4:44:21 AM(edited)
Who cares if it is? If the third party situation for this console stays the same. The WiiU won't be getting any of the good FPS anyway. It's a non-issue for this console.

Edit: It's a genre that most people have played enough of to where the controls always feel familiar to the player. Outside of Halo, COD, and Battlefield this generation. There were FPS games flopping all over the place. Usually the games that tried something different in the genre did horribly. The ones that got the most marketing, and didn't go too far away from familiar territory did well as expected.
#27ShankspearePosted 10/7/2013 4:45:38 AM
MMO's will be what everybody tries next gen.
#28blinkfreakPosted 10/7/2013 7:50:20 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
I think it will end up being the "movie game" genre (TLoU, Beyond Two Souls, Heavy Rain) that will eventually take over. FPSs lead 7th gen anyway.

Did you play tlou? It does not belong in the same "movie game" category as heavy rain. It was a game with a story and had cutscenes.

I would be more afraid of games like puppeteer (which no one on this board seems to complain about for some reason). That game was like walk right for 1 minute, watch a 5 minute cutscenes, QTE boss fight, 5 minute cutscenes, end level.
#29TerotrousPosted 10/7/2013 8:12:34 AM
I suspect action games (like GTA5, GoW, Watch Dogs, Yakuza, Sleeping Dogs, Assassin's Creed, etc) will take over. They're already the second-most popular genre, and they seem to be gaining popularity while FPSes are slowly losing it.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Rampart"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#30guttertalkPosted 10/7/2013 8:19:23 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
blinkfreak posted...
I loved FPS games back in the day. Played them on PC, SNES, N64, PS, PS2. But after that I had my fill. Which I find strange because I feel like FPS games didn't really get popular outside of PC gaming until 360. At least it didn't take the industry by storm like it has now.

I would really like a return of the 3D platformer.

You probably haven't had your fill of FPS games. The problem is that (most) modern FPS games are garbage compared to older ones. The good ones follow the old FPS design. Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6UQ2QlRH0

My son's been playing TF2 for a while, but with a little encouragement, he's been playing some classics. He now thinks the Half-Life games are the best FPS. :) But, as he played the original Serious Sam on the 360, he saw that the old style was hard. I remember many of the little tricks and passed them along, but he still died multiple times. It was a little frustrating for him, but he appreciated the games. Even though he likes the Mass Effect games (which are TPS with RPG elements), he admitted that he was playing it more for story than action. (System Shock 2 is the next game I plan to introduce him to, one of the best RPGish FPS in my opinion.)

I loved the FPS of the 90s, but I'm not a twitchy gamer anymore, so I can understand some of the changes. But I just don't find the genre that interesting these days.

It's a shame the Conduit games were off, because I think they were trying to go for that older style of play. Unfortunately, their level designs just weren't that good, among other things.