ITT: Hypothetically I'm president of Nintendo and I decide to buy SEGA

#1WickedSickJoshPosted 10/7/2013 2:43:25 PM
Assuming acquiring SEGA was possible, I do it. This isn't about owning the a Sonic the Hedgehog license, this about making up for the lack of third-party support. Hear me out:

Nintendo isn't getting the third-party support it really needs right now instead it's got its own IPs that people adore. However, that's not exactly causing systems to fly off the shelf. Owning SEGA means I own ALL of SEGA's IPs and I'll be in charge of what SEGA games are being developed. Sonic the Hedgehog games are only released on both Wii U and 3DS. Streets of Rage 4 is finally developed as a true side scrolling successor and released digitally (cheaper) on the eShop. Big money is spent to make Phantasy Star V, a new 3D Golden Axe (unlike that terrible 360/PS3 version), Shenmue 3, and The Conduit 3 for the Wii U. 3DS exclusives include a new Shining game, Space Channel 5, Super Monkey Ball and Gunstar Heroes. Fun and cheap games are released digitally between the Wii U and 3DS eShop including Columns, Chu Chu Rocket and Out Run. Not to mention Genesis, Mega Drive and Dreamcast games are also rereleased digitally. Doing all this while also having games like Virtua Fighter, Yakuza and House Of The Dead released as well.

Of course this wouldn't happen all at once, but nostalgia (most importantly "exclusive nostalgia") is the key here. If the Wii U can show off more of what's exclusive rather than what's not on the system can benefit it A LOT. Most of those SEGA games used to support their own console alone. Adding them to Nintendo's lineup could do wonders. Games like Streets of a Rage 4, Shenmue 3 and non-Phantasy Star Online game have been games gamers have been wanting for years. I'd also look into reboots or sequels to beloved games like Comix Zone or Vectorman. If I was president of Nintendo owned SEGA I would do my best to make these things happen. After all "it's about the games.

So what do you think?

Boatload of new exclusive franchises and games helps pushes Nintendo consoles

Or

Waste of investment
---
Currently playing: WWE '13 (360), Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U), Earthbound (Wii U VC)
http://backloggery.com/WickedSickJosh
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 10/7/2013 2:44:39 PM
Lol buying Sega

waste of money
#3WillWarePosted 10/7/2013 2:45:08 PM
You forgot Jet Set Radio.
---
I'm not exactly "normal." Hope this isn't a problem.
Welcome to GameFAQs, where we discuss politics and religion... wait.
#4Tempest717Posted 10/7/2013 2:48:16 PM
Atlus games are Nintendo exclusive now? Fine by me.
---
NNID/PSN: Tempest717
#5WickedSickJosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 2:52:38 PM
WillWare posted...

Lol. I did. There's A LOT of SEGA franchises. I also forgot to mention Crazy Taxi, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Wars, Shinobi, Skies of Arcadia, Ecco the Dolphin and SEAMAN!!
---
Currently playing: WWE '13 (360), Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U), Earthbound (Wii U VC)
#6WickedSickJosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 2:53:42 PM
Tempest717 posted...
Atlus games are Nintendo exclusive now? Fine by me.

I didn't even think of this. That makes the deal even better! O_O
---
#7manmousePosted 10/7/2013 3:00:12 PM
WickedSickJosh posted...
WillWare posted...

Lol. I did. There's A LOT of SEGA franchises. I also forgot to mention Crazy Taxi, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Wars, Shinobi, Skies of Arcadia, Ecco the Dolphin and SEAMAN!!

imagine a JSR/JGR game on WiiU with the gamepad working with its graffiti mechanic. that'd be so cool, they could do a lot.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#8WickedSickJosh(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 3:16:56 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
Lol buying Sega

waste of money

I gave a detailed reason of why I think it would benefit Nintendo. Mind giving me a reason why you think it's a waste or are you just trolling?
---
#9EoinPosted 10/7/2013 3:19:22 PM
I think you are considerably over-estimating the resources of both Nintendo and Sega.

Nintendo have so many IPs that even with their huge amounts of cash and large-scale development resources, they are unable to make one game per IP per generation.

Sega are in an even more extreme position. They've spent the last few years cutting themselves down to a bare minimum, focusing on successful IPs and digital re-releases. To make matters worse, some of their bigger games/studios are PC studios. The Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive have both done console games (to minimal success), but they are certainly PC-focused. Any attempt by Nintendo to change that would most likely fail to deliver good games, with the only alternative being something rather tragic: Nintendo selling off profitable development studios that don't match its aims.

Then there is the fact that Sega, as a huge publisher, have many of the same "huge publisher" resources that Nintendo already have. An expanded Nintendo would need some of those resources in addition to its existing ones, but there'd be lots of redundancy. They'd be selling bits of Sega and/or laying people off just to remove that redundancy.

You're therefore suggesting that Nintendo, who don't need IPs and don't need publishing resources but could certainly use more developers buys Sega - a huge publisher who are overloaded with IPs that they can't develop.

That's not a good match.

For the immense amount of money that would be needed to buy Sega, Nintendo would be better off buying, or establishing, a dozen (or more) development studios. That would give them the development resources that they truly need, without duplicating publishing resources.

WickedSickJosh posted...
Sonic the Hedgehog games are only released on both Wii U and 3DS. Streets of Rage 4 is finally developed as a true side scrolling successor and released digitally (cheaper) on the eShop. Big money is spent to make Phantasy Star V, a new 3D Golden Axe (unlike that terrible 360/PS3 version), Shenmue 3, and The Conduit 3 for the Wii U.

Sonic is already, for most practical purposes, exclusive to Nintendo, and the biggest-selling Sonic games are completely exclusive to Nintendo, because those are the ones with "Mario" in the title. If medium-term Sonic exclusivity doesn't help Nintendo then it's not clear that permanent exclusivity would be much of a boost.

Streets of Rage 4, Phantasy Star V, Shenmue 3 and The Conduit 3 are not big draws. There's a reason that Sega haven't developed any of them (and with The Conduit, I'm not sure they even own the rights - although even if they do, it's not like a worthwhile IP anyway).

Your comment about Golden Axe is strange. Do you think Sega intentionally made a terrible game on PS3/360? It's not like you can go to a developer with bags of money and say "3D Golden Axe please, not terrible this time" and make it happen.

WickedSickJosh posted...
Games like Streets of a Rage 4, Shenmue 3 and non-Phantasy Star Online game have been games gamers have been wanting for years.

They're games that a small portion of gamers have been wanting for years. I suspect that you're projecting your own wishes onto the general population of gamers.
#10Dannyson97Posted 10/7/2013 3:25:21 PM
Another great investment Iwata!
---
I'm pro Nintendo, my friend is pro Sony,
my other friend is pro Microsoft.