Face it, Metroid doesn't sell as much as it used to...

#41robomagonPosted 10/8/2013 6:26:34 PM
EarthLord_CJ posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
I think the claim that Other M was just trying to make Samus look weak are absurd, but the game DOES have problems. The writing is lackluster, Sakamoto was being self righteous and ignoring the fans, the game is far too linear, and the forced cutscenes really hurts things. My biggest problem is the linear one. Even Metroid Fusion wasn't this linear. Exploration is what drove the series and it could really be expanded upon. Metroid is at its best when you're exploring an unknown world, just look at Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

Whether there was any *intent* to make Samus look weak is not what's commonly argued over. It's whether or not the game itself portrays that weakness. I know that there's a lot of people who claim that Sakomoto is a sexist d-bag, but there's no real proof that it was what he wanted all along (though it's understandable why some may think otherwise).

He hired the guys who make Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. The people who advertise their revolutionary breast jiggle physics...
---
DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE
#42HermeticJusticePosted 10/8/2013 6:30:47 PM
Vyers posted...
Metroidvanias don't apply to Metroid games.

how about Wrestlemania games?
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#43darkjedilinkPosted 10/8/2013 6:32:27 PM
robomagon posted...
EarthLord_CJ posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
I think the claim that Other M was just trying to make Samus look weak are absurd, but the game DOES have problems. The writing is lackluster, Sakamoto was being self righteous and ignoring the fans, the game is far too linear, and the forced cutscenes really hurts things. My biggest problem is the linear one. Even Metroid Fusion wasn't this linear. Exploration is what drove the series and it could really be expanded upon. Metroid is at its best when you're exploring an unknown world, just look at Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

Whether there was any *intent* to make Samus look weak is not what's commonly argued over. It's whether or not the game itself portrays that weakness. I know that there's a lot of people who claim that Sakomoto is a sexist d-bag, but there's no real proof that it was what he wanted all along (though it's understandable why some may think otherwise).

He hired the guys who make Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. The people who advertise their revolutionary breast jiggle physics...

True, but Sakamoto was the primary story writer for the game, and it's the story that makes her weak in the game.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#44darkjedilinkPosted 10/8/2013 6:35:23 PM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Other M's sales were also better than Zero Mission and Hunters.

What? A console game outsold two portable games? One of them a remake?

Whoodathunkit!?

kukingina2 posted...
I really like me some metroidvania games like fusion and super metroid :D

Fusion isn't metroidvania. It's far too linear.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#45DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/8/2013 6:50:20 PM
You know, it's surprising how many of these 2D Metroid style games are popping up on PC lately.
Bunny Must Die, Eternal Daughter, LaMulana, Cave Story, Iconoclasts, and so much more.
And yet consoles don't even get Metroid style Castlevania games anymore...
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#46DTY3Posted 10/8/2013 6:52:39 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
You know, it's surprising how many of these 2D Metroid style games are popping up on PC lately.
Bunny Must Die, Eternal Daughter, LaMulana, Cave Story, Iconoclasts, and so much more.
And yet consoles don't even get Metroid style Castlevania games anymore...

At least we're getting Shantae. Well eveybody is, but yeah.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#47ManservicePosted 10/12/2013 12:00:58 AM
Second_Hokage posted...
The market is already saturated by shooters

That's irrelevant, because Metroid games aren't "shooters". Even the Metroid Prime games were first-person adventure games with action and platforming elements.