I'm considering buying a Wii U before Christmas

#1TheLFCRoverPosted 10/8/2013 12:06:15 AM
I've currently got a PS3 but will be waiting until next year to get a PS4 next year once they come with a larger hard drive.

I love Nintendo games but I didn't really spend much time on the Wii. The games didn't seem to appeal to me like they used to. I like the looks of the Wii U and I've heard great things about the console and games, apart from a short controller battery life.

I'm from the UK and considering buying a bundle which includes Zelda: Wind Waker (download code), New Super Luigi U, and Zombi U for 280 British pounds. I would also probably have to buy Nintendo Land seperate.

Is now a good time to invest in the console and how is the e-shop and Miiverse? Do games have trophies or achievements and can you download software such as the weather and news channel as I loved them on the original Wii?

Many thanks.
---
Liverpool Football Club
You'll Never Walk Alone
#2Neo_HeartlessPosted 10/8/2013 12:13:20 AM
TheLFCRover posted...
I've currently got a PS3 but will be waiting until next year to get a PS4 next year once they come with a larger hard drive.

I love Nintendo games but I didn't really spend much time on the Wii. The games didn't seem to appeal to me like they used to. I like the looks of the Wii U and I've heard great things about the console and games, apart from a short controller battery life.

I'm from the UK and considering buying a bundle which includes Zelda: Wind Waker (download code), New Super Luigi U, and Zombi U for 280 British pounds. I would also probably have to buy Nintendo Land seperate.

Is now a good time to invest in the console and how is the e-shop and Miiverse? Do games have trophies or achievements and can you download software such as the weather and news channel as I loved them on the original Wii?

Many thanks.

eShop still needs some work I think. The selection of games is growing and they do the occasional sale, but things still tend to be overpriced. Miiverse is alright if you like a forum that's heavily moderated and you can draw pictures in.

There's no trophies or achievements. Rayman Legends sometimes pops up saying something about some sort of uPlay thingy but I'm not touching that.

As far as I'm aware, the news and weather channel were discontinued, or were going to be. The WiiU should have Netflix and Lovefilm installed, and there's a google street view thingy to mess around with.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#3thefabregas22Posted 10/8/2013 12:25:37 AM
I would say now is a good time to invest, end of this year and 2014 are going to be packed with great games and of course the wii u already has some great titles that you should pick up if you do get it. Like wonderful 101
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy
#4Lord_FroodPosted 10/8/2013 3:05:04 AM
Sorry if I'm being an uncultured idiot here, but do they have any sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday type deals in the UK before Christmas?
---
"PS3 is my favourite hentai game." - TakayaNoriko
http://youtu.be/ROk_XmYV_WI
#5ChipChippersonPosted 10/8/2013 4:07:03 AM
Neo_Heartless posted...
TheLFCRover posted...

Many thanks.

eShop still needs some work I think. The selection of games is growing and they do the occasional sale, but things still tend to be overpriced. Miiverse is alright if you like a forum that's heavily moderated and you can draw pictures in.

There's no trophies or achievements. Rayman Legends sometimes pops up saying something about some sort of uPlay thingy but I'm not touching that.

As far as I'm aware, the news and weather channel were discontinued, or were going to be. The WiiU should have Netflix and Lovefilm installed, and there's a google street view thingy to mess around with.

Uplay is actually pretty decent, they're ''achievements'' that actually give you in-game unlocks i.e. new armor or goggles in Splinter Cell and I think you get lums in Rayman.
---
We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
#6stekim40Posted 10/8/2013 4:20:34 AM
DON'T!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm trying to save you money here. I'm not saying go buy this console or that console, just avoid buying a U.

I bought one very soon after release and yes I bought it because I love nintendo games but the console is a HUGE flop.. shops are now refusing to stock it, its dead and a real mess.

The lack of 'decent' games and REALLY bad wii emulation mode got me to sell mine, I'm now simple playing wii games on my old wii, which actually looks 30%+ better than on the wii u.

also bought Pikmin 3, waited years for it.. very let down by the short and substandard game :(

Seriously, think twice about buying this white elephant before buying. I'm very glad I 'eventually' managed to sell mine.
---
With Kinect you are the tool, Microsoft's tool. Now dance puppet, dance!
#7Dash_Dash88Posted 10/8/2013 4:20:56 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
Sorry if I'm being an uncultured idiot here, but do they have any sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday type deals in the UK before Christmas?

Sales before xmas definitely, every shop does something around that time... The best time for sales is the beginning of January though, big savings to be had.
---
If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention.
Psn I.D Dasha_UK Xbl GT Dasha UK
#8Darth_ElusivePosted 10/8/2013 4:31:05 AM
TC, I won't buy it now if I were you.
I can afford a Wii U anytime but try not to spend money stupidly, even it is just a few hundred dollars.

WW is not worth the purchase unless you had never played it before. I got it on GC. Zelda games are always fun to play but I had never finished the same Zelda game twice.

Since you have a PS3 already, your only reason to get a Wii U is first party and a few third party games bought out by Nintendo. Just wait till there are enough of those. By then the price of the Wii U might be lower and so are the games.
---
Forget about XBOX One. This is my XBOX720: i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Yakuza 5, Bioshock Infinite
#9BoomerTheGreatPosted 10/8/2013 5:13:10 AM
Well I have had every console except the PS3 and the Wii U is my favorite. If you saw any trailers of upcoming games that alone would make you buy it. Theres some good games out and every 3rd party game is coming this holiday except EA titles. The eShop has great deals so you should buy it now before you miss a deal.
---
Greatness comes from within
#10Motobug321Posted 10/8/2013 5:28:46 AM
TheLFCRover posted...

Many thanks.

The e-shop definitely still needs some work, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

Miiverse is one of the most genius things Nintendo's ever come up with. It's basically what Gamefaqs would be if there were no trolls and people only talked about Nintendo games. It's message board heaven.

There are no achievements or trophies, but you can always show off by posting a screenshot of your accomplishment and a caption to miiverse.

Sorry, there's no weather/news channel. I believe Nintendo removed them simply because there are much faster ways to get news nowadays through phones and the internet and hardly anyone was using the Wii news channel anymore.

Anyway, overall, it sounds like a good deal. As for games I would recommend, you should check out Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends. Sonic Lost World and Super Mario 3D World are coming out soon, too.