So F-Zero isn't worth pursuing, but Kid Icarus is?

#21MilesTeg420Posted 10/8/2013 9:27:21 AM
TheGreatUnown posted...
Motobug321 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
Pretty sure after the mediocre sales and probably relatively high dev cost (for a 3DS game) we won't be seeing a new Kid Icarus in quite some time.

Hasn't the game already sold well over a million? That's pretty good for a series that hasn't been seen in 25 years.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/24/kid-icarus-uprising-luigis-mansion-dark-moon-sell-over-1-million/

According to this, they did.

Yeah but was it worth the investment, that's the question. They could have been working on a new Smash Bros instead all that time. And it's not like KI:U lit the charts on fire.
#22plasmatic5Posted 10/8/2013 9:43:41 AM
Endgame posted...
By the way, I'm not saying Kid Icarus Uprising was a bad idea.

why wasn't one of the absolute worst games ever produced a bad idea?

Why are you still here? Everything you say is just "**** Kid Icarus". Learn another tune please.

On Topic: it's a lot easier to pursue a reboot of a very old franchise than to pursue a new entry in a somewhat recent one. Kid Icarus was a franchise that hadn't been seen in decades (excluding Brawl), so Nintendo had free aim to do whatever they wanted and they weren't marketing it to the same group of people that played it before. Basically, they were making an entirely new IP but skinning it as an old one. They COULD do that with F-Zero if they wanted, but that would get them a lot more harass from people. Since F-Zero is recent, it'll be harder for Nintendo to change the formula, but they need to change the formula because the series wasn't selling well enough when they didn't change the formula.

TLDR, it's easier to make a new entry to a series that hasn't been used in a while.
---
Changed my sig after about 6 or 7 years. It needed to be done.
#23VyersPosted 10/8/2013 9:51:18 AM
MotiJr posted...
I can't help but hate the people asking for F Zero and Metroid. I say this because I can almost guarantee that a new game in the franchise would sell poorly and be bashed by rabid fans for every reason possible. The fans don't know what they want and they will all want something different. Doesn't matter how good they make a new F Zero game, there will still be whining from fans. Just look at Metroid. Samus had too much character and the fans nearly had a collective aneurysm.

What?

Metroid - no one complained.
Metroid II: Return to Samus - no one complained.
Super Metroid - no one complained.
Metroid Fusion - people complained about the linearity; however, it receives a significant amount of praise from a lot of fans, including the speed running community (which likes it less than Super Metroid)
Metroid Prime - no one complained (after release, anyway).
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - people complained about the design choices, but it has grown in esteem and is regarded as one of the best in the series.
Metroid: Zero Mission - no one complained.
Metroid Prime: Hunters - is surprisingly well-liked for such a divergent and weird entry.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - received criticism for relative linearity but generally gets a lot of praise.

Metroid: Other M is the only divisive game in the Metroid series for good reason.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#24DTY3Posted 10/8/2013 9:54:16 AM
Because Sakurai wanted to make a kid Icarus game.
Had nothing to do with Nintendo.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#25MilesTeg420Posted 10/8/2013 10:01:49 AM
DTY3 posted...
Because Sakurai wanted to make a kid Icarus game.
Had nothing to do with Nintendo.

I really think it's a combination of that, and that Nintendo wanted a big new game on 3DS to showcase the platform.
#26Darth GeckoPosted 10/8/2013 10:19:01 AM
Metroid Prime 3 (Wii, 2007): 1.65 milion units
Metroid Other M (Wii, 2010): 1.25 million units
DKC Returns (Wii, 2010): 6.02 million units

source: VGChartz
---
San Francisco Giants 2012 World Champions
http://darth-gecko.dvdaf.com/owned
#27Gencoil(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 10:21:05 AM
MotiJr posted...
I can't help but hate the people asking for F Zero and Metroid.

Ouch, man. You hate me just because I want a new F-Zero game? That's harsh...

And for the record, I liked Other M.
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#28MotiJrPosted 10/8/2013 11:07:13 AM
Vyers posted...
MotiJr posted...
I can't help but hate the people asking for F Zero and Metroid. I say this because I can almost guarantee that a new game in the franchise would sell poorly and be bashed by rabid fans for every reason possible. The fans don't know what they want and they will all want something different. Doesn't matter how good they make a new F Zero game, there will still be whining from fans. Just look at Metroid. Samus had too much character and the fans nearly had a collective aneurysm.

What?

Metroid - no one complained.
Metroid II: Return to Samus - no one complained.
Super Metroid - no one complained.
Metroid Fusion - people complained about the linearity; however, it receives a significant amount of praise from a lot of fans, including the speed running community (which likes it less than Super Metroid)
Metroid Prime - no one complained (after release, anyway).
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - people complained about the design choices, but it has grown in esteem and is regarded as one of the best in the series.
Metroid: Zero Mission - no one complained.
Metroid Prime: Hunters - is surprisingly well-liked for such a divergent and weird entry.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - received criticism for relative linearity but generally gets a lot of praise.

Metroid: Other M is the only divisive game in the Metroid series for good reason.

I meant other m not the franchise in general.

I guess hate is a strong word but it annoys me because the same people being for f zero wii u will likely b**** about the game not being what they wanted. There's already way too much anticipation for it.
---
I'm incredibly blunt so if the truth offends you, get in your bubble and blow away. No time to be fake and sugar coat things. You get offended, you deserved it
#29SSJ4CHRISPosted 10/8/2013 11:13:39 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Pretty sure after the mediocre sales and probably relatively high dev cost (for a 3DS game) we won't be seeing a new Kid Icarus in quite some time.

Plus Sakarai(?) said he wouldn't make another one.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 White 2 FC: 2924 7399 0619 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#30DrkVrtxPosted 10/8/2013 11:14:15 AM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
rizsparky posted...
However, I would be happy with a GX HD update.

Yes. Update GX to HD, add online multiplayer (16 players, maybe more), $40 price tag, and call it a day.

---
Yoga! http://i.minus.com/iSSXXAPTD1cjg.gif