Nintendo should make the 3DS player

#1PokemonYoutubePosted 10/8/2013 7:19:11 AM
Remember the Gameboy Player accessory for the Gamecube that let you play GBC/GBA games on your TV?

Well, would you want a similar device for the Wii U that lets you play DS and 3DS games on your TV? The Wii U is perfect for this with the Gamepad's touch screen.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#2MilesTeg420Posted 10/8/2013 7:29:10 AM(edited)
It would be a niche item. It would need the guts of a 3DS so you are probably looking at $100. Thirty bucks more get's you a 2DS. If you go eBay you can get an OG for around $100.
#3Motobug321Posted 10/8/2013 7:28:15 AM
I agree, it WOULD be really awesome. Only two problems, though.

1. The resolution would probably be awful on a big TV.

2. There are certain games that require you to close your DS, which wouldn't be possible on the Wii U.

Other than those two problems, I could see it being really cool. I'd love to play Kid Icarus Uprising on the big screen.
#4jrb363Posted 10/8/2013 7:30:12 AM
I think this is a great idea. Maybe make an emulator box that can plug into the USB port and run on the tv or the Gamepad. Keep it around $100 and it would sell pretty well I bet.
---
Mod: Preaching about black people's values, or lack thereof, is not going to win you any awards around here.
#5PokemonYoutube(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 7:32:27 AM
Motobug321 posted...
I agree, it WOULD be really awesome. Only two problems, though.

1. The resolution would probably be awful on a big TV.

2. There are certain games that require you to close your DS, which wouldn't be possible on the Wii U.

Other than those two problems, I could see it being really cool. I'd love to play Kid Icarus Uprising on the big screen.

The Gameboy Player wasn't without faults either. You should look up ScrewAttack's Video Game Vault of Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble.
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#6Tempest717Posted 10/8/2013 7:35:12 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
It would be a niche item. It would need the guts of a 3DS so you are probably looking at $100. Thirty bucks more get's you a 2DS. If you go eBay you can get an OG for around $100.

It'd probably be fairly less actually, the Vita TV is only $99, and it's a bit better tech, so a 3DS player/"3DSTV" should be like $20-$30 cheaper I'd think.
---
NNID/PSN: Tempest717
#7EoinPosted 10/8/2013 7:55:48 AM
Motobug321 posted...

This really isn't a problem (and in fact I think that the 2DS is fairly good proof of that, since it can't close). A button can replicate that functionality.

Another problem (alongside resolution) would be the games that require you to view/touch both screens at once. Holding the GamePad so that it can be viewed at the same time as the main TV wouldn't be comfortable. For games like that, a GamePad-only display option would probably be needed (the GamePad has a resolution more than high enough to display both screens of a 3DS stacked vertically).

PokemonYoutube posted...
The Gameboy Player wasn't without faults either. You should look up ScrewAttack's Video Game Vault of Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble.

There was a large gap between the Game Boy Player's resolution (160x144) and TV screens at the time (commonly 640x480, in NTSC countries at least). However, there's actually an even bigger gap between the resolution of the 3DS's main screen (400x240) and a 1080p TV, plus of course the typical modern TV is quite a bit bigger than TVs from the Game Boy Player's time. Resolution really would be an issue for a hypothetical 3DS player that used the TV. Potential solutions would be filters (which could look ugly) or just using the GamePad.
#8promo123Posted 10/8/2013 7:57:58 AM(edited)
I wouldn't dare touch it unless I had an SDTV.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#9MilesTeg420Posted 10/8/2013 8:04:33 AM
Tempest717 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

It'd probably be fairly less actually, the Vita TV is only $99, and it's a bit better tech, so a 3DS player/"3DSTV" should be like $20-$30 cheaper I'd think.

Either way you still run into problems like 3DS games on an HD TV, and the fact that looking to each screen would not be nearly as easy and narural as on a 3DS.

Also, getting it to work on Wii U would be harder than how Vita TV does it. Vita TV just connects to your HDMI in on your TV. Nintendo would need some other kind of work around that could potentially add cost to the device. There is no special Wii U port like the Gamecube had. It might have to connect to the Gamepad port at the bottom. Or maybe they could use USB? Not sure but it's not as simple as how Vita TV does it. Maybe put the Wii U streaming tech in the 3DS player, have it connect to HDMI, and recognize the Gamepad. But as I said that would probably add cost to the device, we don't know how much the streaming tech costs Nintendo in every box.
#10Stink_ApePosted 10/8/2013 8:05:20 AM
no they shouldn't
---
NNID:Skunk_Ape
http://i.imgur.com/1mQDO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/0HcWR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/MXLXOt2.gif