Nintendo should make the 3DS player

#21EoinPosted 10/8/2013 9:54:35 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Thanks for the response. Would Nintendo actually be willing to use USB is my next question. Could such a device be easily hacked, because we know Nintendo wouldn't release anything that enabled any chance of that.

There would be some chance of it being hackable I suppose. The fact that it's relying on a GamePad's existence, though, probably helps a little bit.

Nintendo could also design a deliberately awkward machine. Something, for example, that didn't use cables, but instead physically slotted into both of the Wii U's USB ports and the SD port, and therefore which wouldn't work on anything other than a Wii U without multiple additional adapters. As downsides, this would lock Nintendo into the Wii U's current design, annoy people, and require the addition on the device of passthroughs, at additional cost (though not much additional cost).

There may be a better and/or more elegant solution (any solution is more elegant than the physically-awkward design above) but in the end it might come down to the reality that if Nintendo wanted to make a 3DS Player for the Wii U, they have to risk the chance that it'd be hacked. The Wii U isn't exactly overloaded with connectivity options so USB is really the only choice for a Wii U 3DS Player. The other options, of course, are the most obvious option (not making such a player at all) and the Vita TV option of a standalone console, (although without a GamePad-like controller that would probably be a bad option).
#22EoinPosted 10/8/2013 9:56:06 AM
Tempest717 posted...
I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that USB cables couldn't send video. And a Google search of this didn't give me a solid answer :l

USB cables can send any kind of data you like. Data is data. Video isn't special. Check out the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on - it sent compressed video from a disc to the Xbox 360 for decompression, over USB.
#23Tempest717Posted 10/8/2013 9:58:09 AM
If they did go the Vita TV route they could potentially make a tiny gamepad based off the 3DS's bottom half and using the Wii U's streaming tech to keep latency to a minimum. Though that'd raise costs even more...
---
NNID/PSN: Tempest717
#24EoinPosted 10/8/2013 10:08:06 AM
Tempest717 posted...
If they did go the Vita TV route they could potentially make a tiny gamepad based off the 3DS's bottom half and using the Wii U's streaming tech to keep latency to a minimum. Though that'd raise costs even more...

It would indeed raise costs, and I think that this route would be a disaster. It would certainly cost more than a 2DS and could cost as much as a 3DS XL. It'd lose to the Vita TV on every measure - cost, user-friendliness, power, media compatibility - and so many people own a 3DS that a lower-cost Vita console might be more tempting for many of them than a high-cost 3DS console. It would fail to drive sales of the Wii U and in fact could be viewed as competition for it - and it may even get confused for it, because "a tiny gamepad based off the 3DS's bottom half" could look quite a lot like a Wii U GamePad to the untrained eye (in other words: to most people's eye).

I think this is a choice between a Wii U-based player, or nothing. The standalone option doesn't seem feasible.
#25CubeTVPosted 10/8/2013 11:05:11 AM
I'm hoping so. Every two gens Nintendo likes to do one of these (2nd Nintendo console (SNES) could play Gameboy and 4th Nintendo console (GC) could play Gameboy Color and Advance games with it) so to keep it with "tradition", I hope they'd make one for Wii U for DS/3DS.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#26Inuyasha1357Posted 10/8/2013 11:55:41 AM
I would definitely buy it. Portability is not really a factor for me, so price is the only real determining factor. I play old games on hd screens all the time, and it is not a big deal to me.
---
A turtle creeps, sleeping beauty sleeps. - Akira
Games that I currently play all the time: SSBM, Persona 4 Arena, and the entire Mega man franchise no damage.
#27mjc0961Posted 10/8/2013 12:42:33 PM
Motobug321 posted...
I agree, it WOULD be really awesome. Only two problems, though.

1. The resolution would probably be awful on a big TV.

2. There are certain games that require you to close your DS, which wouldn't be possible on the Wii U.

Other than those two problems, I could see it being really cool. I'd love to play Kid Icarus Uprising on the big screen.

2 isn't a problem. There were gameboy games that were unplayable on the GameBoy Player, but they still released it anyway.

It's not like we're asking Nintendo to release a useless piece of s*** like Vita TV that can't play the majority of the games available for the system. Only a few DS games would be unplayable on a DS player. As for activating sleep mode to do actions in some games, only a few did that and they could make a workaround for it in the 3DS player software.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#28mjc0961Posted 10/8/2013 12:43:20 PM
Eoin posted...
Tempest717 posted...

It would indeed raise costs, and I think that this route would be a disaster. It would certainly cost more than a 2DS and could cost as much as a 3DS XL. It'd lose to the Vita TV on every measure - cost, user-friendliness, power, media compatibility - and so many people own a 3DS that a lower-cost Vita console might be more tempting for many of them than a high-cost 3DS console. It would fail to drive sales of the Wii U and in fact could be viewed as competition for it - and it may even get confused for it, because "a tiny gamepad based off the 3DS's bottom half" could look quite a lot like a Wii U GamePad to the untrained eye (in other words: to most people's eye).

I think this is a choice between a Wii U-based player, or nothing. The standalone option doesn't seem feasible.

It wouldn't lose to the Vita TV on every measure. It wins in game library because Vita TV can't play the very small number of games that the Vita actually has.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#29EoinPosted 10/8/2013 12:59:04 PM
mjc0961 posted...
It wouldn't lose to the Vita TV on every measure. It wins in game library because Vita TV can't play the very small number of games that the Vita actually has.

Game library isn't really measurable in any useful sense, because it's subjective.
#30Lefty128kPosted 10/8/2013 1:10:06 PM
Tempest717 posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
It would be a niche item. It would need the guts of a 3DS so you are probably looking at $100. Thirty bucks more get's you a 2DS. If you go eBay you can get an OG for around $100.

It'd probably be fairly less actually, the Vita TV is only $99, and it's a bit better tech, so a 3DS player/"3DSTV" should be like $20-$30 cheaper I'd think.

The problem is the second screen. It would have to be on the controller and that would pretty much skyrocket the cost past VitaTV.