F-Zero GX was a game of its era.

#1GloryChaosPosted 10/8/2013 9:02:38 AM
A fantastic game that did everything right for the time period it came out in (excluding the weak multiplayer). I was thinking about whether or not an updated version of that game could be a hit today if GX never existed.

As in, how popular would a Wii U version of F-Zero GX with features from modern games (such as online multiplayer) be today? Would it end up being some forgettable title? Or would the futuristic racing genre actually make a comeback? The genre is kind of dead in the water right now.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#2Fisto81Posted 10/8/2013 9:04:56 AM
IMO it would be a massive hit. All these stupid "realistic" racers are getting extremely stale. The time is right for a F-Zero comeback.
#3eyeofcorePosted 10/8/2013 9:11:44 AM
Have you played FAST Racing League...?
---
You are not a core gamer if restricted to handhelds/consoles from one company thus limiting amount of games, further by genre's and graphical style of the game.
#4EoinPosted 10/8/2013 9:14:08 AM
I don't think it would even do as well as it did in 2003 if it were released this year. However, the low cost of making it would almost certainly be returned several times over, and as a goodwill release it would probably be worth it even if it didn't make a profit. The issue, of course, is that Nintendo will always have a game that they could choose to make instead of F-Zero, that would earn them a lot more money.
#5PokemonYoutubePosted 10/8/2013 9:33:43 AM
Eoin posted...
I don't think it would even do as well as it did in 2003 if it were released this year. However, the low cost of making it would almost certainly be returned several times over, and as a goodwill release it would probably be worth it even if it didn't make a profit. The issue, of course, is that Nintendo will always have a game that they could choose to make instead of F-Zero, that would earn them a lot more money.

Why make another F-Zero when you can just make "New" Super Mario Bros 47?
---
www.youtube.com/GeneralSecura
#6MetroidJunkiePosted 10/8/2013 9:40:02 AM(edited)
Well, the more popular (Atleast with the internet) part of the F-Zero series is Captain Falcon and his Falcon Punch. One thought I had was Nintendo could make it a sandbox title where Captain Falcon can leave and enter his Blue Falcon at will. His information says he's a crime fighting bounty hunter so they could have it to where he's in a futuristic city environment and fights criminals, and of course you'd have access to Falcon Punch. Races will still be in there, yeah, but it wouldn't be the main focus. It could also be Nintendo's family friendly answer to GTA since that's a game that has yet to make it onto one of Nintendo's home consoles.
#7TransdudePosted 10/8/2013 9:50:12 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Well, the more popular (Atleast with the internet) part of the F-Zero series is Captain Falcon and his Falcon Punch. One thought I had was Nintendo could make it a sandbox title where Captain Falcon can leave and enter his Blue Falcon at will. His information says he's a crime fighting bounty hunter so they could have it to where he's in a futuristic city environment and fights criminals, and of course you'd have access to Falcon Punch. Races will still be in there, yeah, but it wouldn't be the main focus. It could also be Nintendo's family friendly answer to GTA since that's a game that has yet to make it onto one of Nintendo's home consoles.

That could, could, work, but keep the races the main focus of the game. They could have Captain Falcon bringing in bounties that he uses to fund his ride.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#8FenderMasterPosted 10/8/2013 10:06:14 AM
nobody outside Nintendo internet message boards gives a crap about Captain Falcon. He's just some stupid unfunny internet joke like "my body is ready" or "prease understand"
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#9MetroidJunkiePosted 10/8/2013 12:47:37 PM(edited)
Transdude posted...

That could, could, work, but keep the races the main focus of the game. They could have Captain Falcon bringing in bounties that he uses to fund his ride.

That's a good point. You could scrounge for money by beating criminals to pay for races. Maybe even pay for upgrades to the Blue Falcon as well. Of course, it might be better if the progression isn't forced and you're able to sort of lounge around the city for a while, like in GTA. When I said racing should be the main focus, I meant gameplay wise as in it shouldn't be forced until you're ready to progress in the story. Having it be a central part of the plot would work.