Media Create Week 40. Here I am, stranded on a toxic planet, fighting to survive

#81Neo_HeartlessPosted 10/10/2013 7:04:16 AM
VanderZoo posted...
But why wouldn't they sell well? PS1 sold 100 million. PS2 sold 150 million. PS3/360 have currently sold about 160 million...

Why would you think people suddenly lose interest in new consoles? Based on the trend this market is growing. Software is selling more, consoles are lasting longer, pre-orders for PS4/XB1 have broken records...

I see no reason whatsoever to suddenly think PS4 and to a lesser degree XB1 won't do well like past consoles have, if not better.

For reference, I thin the PS1 sold like 500k units in its first 6 months, but went on to sell over 100 million units. PS4 is going to sell about 1.5 million on day one.

I just don't see it, I don't see where this skepticism is coming from.

Because you're only looking at Sony, and then you're combining Sony and Microsoft to make the last number look better.

Nintendo were on a downward trend, and then exploded with the Wii, before coming back to the WiiU. Their handhelds were going from strength to strength, then suddenly the 3DS was faltering before it eventually started picking up again.

My point is you can't just go "oh look the trends say there's an increase I guess they'll keep doing that". Trends, like people, can change on a whim and nothing should be taken for granted.

If we look at the past two years as a whole, the last 3 pieces of hardware to be released have all suffered. It might be easy to just disregard it because two of those devices were Nintendo, but remember their handhelds were literally made of gold and the DS rivals the PS2 as the most successful gaming device.

You also seem to misunderstand and even confirm that misunderstanding with your own example. I'm not saying the end result is that the PS4 and Xbone won't eventually sell well, but people expecting it to have sold silly millions by 2014 need to be aware it could very well start slow.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#82VanderZooPosted 10/10/2013 7:26:42 AM
I combine MS and Sony because it's the same market. It's the PS2 market perfectly divided in two. Some people think gaming has gotten smaller because no console has been as popular as the PS2, they don't realise that the market is actually bigger, it's just that's it's been split between PS3 and 360, almost 50/50 perfectly.

I think next gen it will be more like 60/40 PS4's way, possibly higher. ut you know, PS4 selling around 1.5 million on day one, and Sony forecasting 5 million sales by march 31st, it just seems like PS4 and again, XB1 to a lesser degree are going to hit the ground running.

I'm sure they'll have slow periods, all consoles do in the first 2 years aside from the Wii.
---
Oi, Aussies! Shop at ozziegameshop.com or dungeoncrawl.com
#83MilesTeg420Posted 10/10/2013 8:04:10 AM
This gen is almost guaranteed to take a step backwards in terms of userbase. Nintendo and Microsoft have practically done it all by themselves. This is what I'm seeing:

PS4 - 100 million
Xbone - 50 million
Wii U - 20 million

Basically about 100 million less home consoles sold than gen 7.
#84Stink_ApePosted 10/10/2013 8:50:34 AM
From: MilesTeg420 | Posted: 10/10/2013 11:04:10 AM | #083

could be true.
---
NNID:Skunk_Ape
http://i.imgur.com/1mQDO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/0HcWR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/MXLXOt2.gif
#85ShankspearePosted 10/10/2013 8:55:11 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
This gen is almost guaranteed to take a step backwards in terms of userbase. Nintendo and Microsoft have practically done it all by themselves. This is what I'm seeing:

PS4 - 100 million
Xbone - 50 million
Wii U - 20 million

I disagree with your PS4 number but yes it will most likely contract this generation. A lot of people are going to be shocked.
#86ZerothmaPosted 10/10/2013 5:23:12 PM
STE573 posted...
Terotrous posted...
The announcement of the upcoming Japanese bundles is probably part of why Wii U is selling so bad.

I hope you feel silly about this post.

I don't think you know what the word "part" means. And I'm sure he means sales relative to the last couple sales figures.
---
Cleaning up inaccuracies on the internet, one idiot at a time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#87SakuyaScarletPosted 10/11/2013 11:02:25 AM
HermeticJustice posted...
Archsaze posted...
I know everyone says this a lot, but dang the 3ds is KILLING it.

Pokemon will probably send them to their grave

More like Lavender Tower. Regardless, next week's 3DS sales will be overkill. lol @ people who say Nintendo is doomed.
---
Touhoutards that annoy me the most are the ones still claiming Touhou isn't mainstream. Comiket and Reitaisai would like a word with them.