Nintendo allows cross-platform play

#1kinglink13Posted 10/9/2013 3:28:28 PM
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/359953#ixzz2hGnLcDRZ

"Nintendo has been actively changing many of their operating policies and techniques over the years. In a surprising move, the company has enabled developers to implement cross-platform multiplayer capabilities across multiple gaming consoles.
Ripstone, a prominent casual game developer, revealed the news after asking Nintendo whether they could implement a cross-platform multiplayer system for their games. A Nintendo representative swiftly responded to the query within a few days, essentially giving them the green light in regards to the game(s) in question.
“We’re launching Pure Chess and Knytt Underground later this year, and on Pure Chess we asked whether we could do cross-platform multiplayer, expecting it to be the typical closed console platform I’ve been used to working with for 20 years. Within a couple of days they said, ‘yep, no problem. You can have other console players playing against Wii U players. You can have smartphone players play against them. No problem,” said an unnamed Ripstone developer.
This news certainly represents a step forward in the gaming community, as it allows players of all platforms to come together and enjoy the titles they love in a cooperative fashion.
Note, however, that Nintendo has not yet released such statement via press release or to any major platform. Nevertheless, allowing a game company this kind of freedom will likely cause other console makers to adapt the idea."

Yep, in the future we could be getting WiiU-PS4-XOne communities.

If Sony and MS allow it of course.
---
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft = Epic
#2GuyFawkes5Posted 10/9/2013 3:31:11 PM
I can't see micro$oft doing this
---
A wolf doesn't lose sleep over a sheep's opinion.
#3ajko000Posted 10/9/2013 3:53:16 PM
I wish Nintendo would follow Lord GabeN. The amount of community support they'd get would be phenomenal, and being able to release their projects to the public as open source would make for some interesting development choices.
#4LugiaMaster45Posted 10/9/2013 3:57:14 PM
yay then console wars wont be just fought with text and argument video on youtube.
---
NintendoID: KINGZXGAMBIT87
XBXLIVE GAMTAG: XAVEUSCAESAR WiiU60ers UNITE
#5AceMosPosted 10/9/2013 4:03:28 PM
ajko000 posted...
I wish Nintendo would follow Lord GabeN. The amount of community support they'd get would be phenomenal, and being able to release their projects to the public as open source would make for some interesting development choices.

who is lord gaben
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#6ajko000Posted 10/9/2013 4:04:04 PM
AceMos posted...
ajko000 posted...

who is lord gaben

Gabe Newell.
#7Kuebel33Posted 10/9/2013 4:05:04 PM
GuyFawkes5 posted...
I can't see micro$oft doing this

They already did like 8 years ago.. Final fantasy xi. You played with PC players, ps2 players, ps3 players, and Xbox 360 players
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: Gears, Last of Us, Killer is Dead
#8LinetrixPosted 10/9/2013 4:17:57 PM
First MS now Nintendo. Everyone wants to capitalize on PS4's success.
---
Accusing others of making death threats isn't offensive. Accusing someone of doing 9/11 is because it was in America. - GameFAQs admin
#9Baha05Posted 10/9/2013 4:23:43 PM
Linetrix posted...
First MS now Nintendo. Everyone wants to capitalize on PS4's success.

PS3 really though Cross Platform should be something they all strive for.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#10AkaneJonesPosted 10/9/2013 11:57:47 PM
I hope people understand that cross-play isn't cross buy. It's exactly what Monster Hunter 3U does on 3DS & WiiU, the same with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time on DS & Wii. It is were there Online of games are linked. It does also include the ability to port save files between both version. However I don't believe that's a feature supported by Echoes of Time.

Either way a lot of people seem to mistake this for a cross buy program where you get both VC games so you can use them on WiiU or 3DS. Although adding cross play to VC wouldn't be a bad idea. That way the save files could be transferred between WiiU & 3DS(since they already are identical).