Backwards compatibility killing third party support?

#1ORANGE666Posted 10/9/2013 4:43:30 PM(edited)
In order to keep backwards compatibility with the Wii, Nintendo was forced to continue to use PowerPC architecture. Nintendo knew both Sony and MS were going with x86, there was an article awhile back where Epic talked about how they complained to Nintendo about what hardware Sony and MS were targeting and what specs and architecture would be good for next gen. Nintendo still went with PowerPC.

X86 and PowerPC are very different. Games developed on X86 will require a lot more power from the WiiU than they would for equivalent x86 hardware if not optimized. I say this because a lot of people are only comparing numbers and saying WiiU will easily be able to run PS4 and Xone ports and ignore the fact that the hardware is different, raw numbers don't mean anything unless the developer puts a lot of time and money into optimizing the game for the WiiU.

Nintendo could easily have avoided this by ditching Wii support, and going with X86 hardware. The result would be much more third party support, because of ease of development on that platform and easy to port games from PS4 and XOne.

Why else is Xone getting so many PS exclusives? It doesn't take long to port games between PS4 and Xone because they're so similar.

Obviously Nintendo knows this more than we do. The only assumption is that Nintendo thought that consumers preferred to play wii and 1st party WiiU games on their WiiU rather than optimized third party games and 1st party games.
#2eyeofcorePosted 10/9/2013 5:10:45 PM
Reason why Nintendo kept PowerPC is because they are very familiar too it and going x86 would only cause problems so backward compatibility was just a bonus also games will run fine and well if optimized properly, a cheap port for Wii U is only 1 million while X360 and PS3 are more expensive to port for though there is large install base so its worth the risk.

It would be boring if everything was x86... At least ARM is present and givin diversity and MIPS is coming back amd it will kick ass in amount of polygons per gflops...
---
You are not a core gamer if restricted to handhelds/consoles from one company thus limiting amount of games, further by genre's and graphical style of the game.
#3Dannyson97Posted 10/9/2013 5:17:57 PM
I think not going as powerful as Sony and Microsoft was a good business move, have you heard how expensive a AAA title is on the PS4 and Xbox One? The price has quadrupled from PS3 and 360, not sure how much longer Sony can afford this.
---
I'm pro Nintendo, my friend is pro Sony,
my other friend is pro Microsoft.
#4TransdudePosted 10/9/2013 5:28:54 PM(edited)
Dannyson97 posted...
I think not going as powerful as Sony and Microsoft was a good business move, have you heard how expensive a AAA title is on the PS4 and Xbox One? The price has quadrupled from PS3 and 360, not sure how much longer Sony can afford this.

Didn't you hear? It was announced that the PS4 must succeed otherwise Sony will be out of the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HjVGpxwaNU
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#5ORANGE666(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 5:51:08 PM
Dannyson97 posted...

Nowhere did I say anything about making the WiiU more powerful.
#6Eamon696Posted 10/9/2013 6:09:28 PM
Dannyson97 posted...

Link? From what I've read, costs have remained about the same.
---
Seattle Seahawks.
#7Dannyson97Posted 10/9/2013 7:27:50 PM
Eamon696 posted...
Dannyson97 posted...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128507-Killzone-Dev-Says-PS4-A-Lot-More-Demanding#ye1LEfHEchOqU1L4.99
Only link I could find on short notice but I'll give you a run down. AAA games have been getting more expensive over the years, for 3rd party developer to keep his game exclusive during 6th gen and make a profit the console had to have a install base if 20 million. Look at Kingdom hearts 3, the game is too expensive to keep on the PS4, the game needs the install base with the Xbox one to stand a chance to make money.
Look at all the devolpers who died last gen, Atari, THQ, companies dying Capcom, even EA has suffered . The newest Tomb Raider game sold 5 million copies and still has made a profit.
---
#8Dannyson97Posted 10/9/2013 7:31:04 PM
Dannyson97 posted...
Eamon696 posted...
Dannyson97 posted...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128507-Killzone-Dev-Says-PS4-A-Lot-More-Demanding#ye1LEfHEchOqU1L4.99
Only link I could find on short notice but I'll give you a run down. AAA games have been getting more expensive over the years, for 3rd party developer to keep his game exclusive during 6th gen and make a profit the console had to have a install base if 20 million. Look at Kingdom hearts 3, the game is too expensive to keep on the PS4, the game needs the install base with the Xbox one to stand a chance to make money.
Look at all the devolpers who died last gen, Atari, THQ, companies dying Capcom, even EA has suffered . The newest Tomb Raider game sold 5 million copies and still hasn't made a profit.

---
#9iKhan88Posted 10/9/2013 7:36:00 PM
1stly, I don't see why Sony could have just emulated PS1-3 games like you could on a PC.

2ndly, BC is critical. One of the main reasons I'm not getting a PS4 is BC. I want to get a PS3, but if the PS4 had BC, I might as well get it instead of a PS3. And don't say you might as well just get both. The PS4 has a limited library that's pretty up appealing to me right now. The only reason I would buy would be for PS3 games, for good games that I would by the system for alone, and future games. But without BC, that option is not there
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#10lp913Posted 10/9/2013 8:54:35 PM
iKhan88 posted...
1stly, I don't see why Sony could have just emulated PS1-3 games like you could on a PC.

2ndly, BC is critical. One of the main reasons I'm not getting a PS4 is BC. I want to get a PS3, but if the PS4 had BC, I might as well get it instead of a PS3. And don't say you might as well just get both. The PS4 has a limited library that's pretty up appealing to me right now. The only reason I would buy would be for PS3 games, for good games that I would by the system for alone, and future games. But without BC, that option is not there

^ I agree, and this is why I suspect Wii U will be the sales leading console for the foreseeable future, and it will be months to within 1-2 years from now before PS4 really takes off, imo.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]