C/D: If Super Mario 3D World does mediocre, the Wii U won't take off

#1HermeticJusticePosted 10/10/2013 12:24:35 AM
I had some trouble thinking of a topic title so try to read this to find out what I mean

Ever since the release of the Wii U, people have been hoping for some great games, and there where some great games along the way, but most came later than expected, some where ports or remakes, some can be played other systems, and/or others weren't very well received

The core problem for the Wii U, if you don't have a trouble with the "off TV" gimmick is it's lack of software, and people have been clamoring to games like Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Sonic Lost World, but none (excluding the last one) have really caused the popularity of the Wii U to surge like the Wii did

But that can all change with Super Mario 3D World, an innovative, first party Nintendo Mario game with multiplayer, possibly a story, among other things we probably don't know about. It has had people excited and is coming during a busy time in the US, around Black Friday, and more importantly, after the PS4 and XBox One have released, just in time for the holidays.

As much as I hate this buzzword, could this be the Wii U's "killer app" that causes people to want to get the system, and cause a complete turnaround for the Wii U, like the 3DS? If that is the case, and this game sells badly (relatively of course) what could that mean for the Wii U.

A lot of people discuss how Super Smash Bros 4 or Mario Kart 8 (maybe even Donkey Kong Country) will be the "killer app" for the Wii U, and I think the same thing, problem is, there not coming till after this Winter Break, and now more than ever Wii U needs a great game if it wants to compete in this market.

IMO games like WWHD, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, and partially Pikmin 3, where never really "killer apps" meant to draw in a crowd, and not something worth getting a Wii U over, but if a game like 3D World does badly, a game that could legitimately be the best game for Wii U till Spring, then that would be very bad seeing as how important the Mario series is for Nintendo. All the other games not doing too well was unsurprising and negliable, but if we get the same thing for 3D World, it could be a major problem.

So what do you think will happen with the Wii U if Super Mario 3D World has subpar sales (this is all relative, so if this game sells a million of copies, that could be a lot for another series, but for new 3D Mario game it's not really anything to brag about) and if such a thing where to happen, could the Wii U recover when game like Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country and SSB4 come out

IMO, if it does amazing, I can see this being like the Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii (great selling game for a great selling system), if it does great, I can see it being the Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64 (great selling game for a mediocre selling system), if it does mediocre I can see it being the Super Mario Sunshine for the Gamecube (mediocre selling game for a mediocre selling system)

also note in this topic, mediocre doesn't refer to quality of a game but in terms of sales
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#2TalentedMPosted 10/10/2013 1:08:46 AM(edited)
D

I have said it here before and I will most likely say it again. MK8 will be where the system takes off. There are tons of people not only excited about a teaser trailer and a small demo, but just eagerly waiting for more info and of course the game before getting a Wii U.

I think if you were to talk "killer apps" MK8 is the only one that qualifys to reach a broad spectrum of gamers, kids and of course that huge 30+ million players that played MKWii and loved every minute of it.

I do think that 3DW will push systems, but I don't think it will be nearly as many as MK8 can.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#3HermeticJustice(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 1:35:14 AM
TalentedM posted...
D

I have said it here before and I will most likely say it again. MK8 will be where the system takes off. There are tons of people not only excited about a teaser trailer and a small demo, but just eagerly waiting for more info and of course the game before getting a Wii U.

I think if you were to talk "killer apps" MK8 is the only one that qualifys to reach a broad spectrum of gamers, kids and of course that huge 30+ million players that played MKWii and loved every minute of it.

I do think that 3DW will push systems, but I don't think it will be nearly as many as MK8 can.

I think an example would be with the Wii, where as Mario Kart Wii sold more than Super Mario Galaxy, even though I prefered the latter more

doesn't necessarily mean 3D World will be bad, but definitely won't cause as much a ripple in game sells, another case would be SSB and Zelda, which I prefer more, though had less sales as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
---
#4KirbyFreak101Posted 10/10/2013 1:42:07 AM
"I have said it here before and I will most likely say it again. MK8 will be where the system takes off. There are tons of people not only excited about a teaser trailer and a small demo, but just eagerly waiting for more info and of course the game before getting a Wii U."

Agreed. Mario Kart has become to the new system seller for Nintendo.
#5HermeticJustice(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 1:50:52 AM
KirbyFreak101 posted...
"I have said it here before and I will most likely say it again. MK8 will be where the system takes off. There are tons of people not only excited about a teaser trailer and a small demo, but just eagerly waiting for more info and of course the game before getting a Wii U."

I guess if Mario Kart 8 does mediocre Nintendo can start working on making a new system
---
#6arvilinoPosted 10/10/2013 3:55:35 AM(edited)
HermeticJustice posted...
KirbyFreak101 posted...

I guess if Mario Kart 8 does mediocre Nintendo can start working on making a new system

I think you might not be aware but Nintendo always start working on their next system as soon as the previous/current ones one came out, they were working on the WiiU as early as the Wii's Release.

So it's likely they've been working on their next console(maybe for 2017/2018) since the WiiU's release.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
#7Fisto81Posted 10/10/2013 4:16:55 AM
D.

1. Sales WILL SKYROCKET after SM3DW. That's not up for debate. We're talking about 3D Mario here.

2. They will skyrocket even further once Mario Kart and Smash Bros arrive.
#8Lord_FroodPosted 10/10/2013 4:26:17 AM
D.

I think it will take MK8.
---
"PS3 is my favourite hentai game." - TakayaNoriko
http://youtu.be/ROk_XmYV_WI
#9crowe_1Posted 10/10/2013 4:31:24 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
D.

I think it will take MK8.

This. If Mario Kart 8 doesn't make the system take off, nothing will.

I love Smash and it will sell some systems, but it doesn't have nearly the widespread appeal that Kart does.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#10JobocanPosted 10/10/2013 5:05:33 AM
I'll ask this again: Why should I care how much the console sells? I don't have stake in the company, neither do you, neither does about 99.9% of people on this website. All anyone on here should care is "Is the system getting awesome games that I want to play?", and the Wii U definitely is. That's all gamers should ever care about.

If it ends up being disappointing games-wise (which it won't) or sales-wise (who cares)... oh well, I'll still have a 3DS and Vita and (early next year) PS4 and gaming PC to play games on as well...

And yeah, wait for MK8 and Smash, Super Mario 3D World will get some interest and help sales a little bit, but not at the same level as MK8 will.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection