C/D: If Super Mario 3D World does mediocre, the Wii U won't take off

#11Motobug321Posted 10/10/2013 5:14:54 AM
Jobocan posted...
I'll ask this again: Why should I care how much the console sells? I don't have stake in the company, neither do you, neither does about 99.9% of people on this website. All anyone on here should care is "Is the system getting awesome games that I want to play?", and the Wii U definitely is. That's all gamers should ever care about.

If it ends up being disappointing games-wise (which it won't) or sales-wise (who cares)... oh well, I'll still have a 3DS and Vita and (early next year) PS4 and gaming PC to play games on as well...

And yeah, wait for MK8 and Smash, Super Mario 3D World will get some interest and help sales a little bit, but not at the same level as MK8 will.

OMG, this is exactly how I feel. I don't care how well a game or system sells, as long as I'm having fun with it. None of us can do anything about the sales, so I don't know why there's such a HUGE obsession over them.

I mean, I perfectly understand wanting to know sales to know if a game will get a sequel or not, if a console will get a successor, etc. But there's just SUCH A HUGE OBSESSION on this board.

*sigh* but anyway, back to the topic at hand. As the others have said, if Mario Kart 8 doesn't help, nothing will.
#12MilesTeg420Posted 10/10/2013 5:21:05 AM
Doesn't really matter what Nintendo had this holiday, Wii U was going to underwhelm with two new consoles and 3DS coming into it's own with Pokemon and Zelda. Unless they had the super trio of MK8, SM3DW, and Smash Bros all releasing this year. At least 2 out of three would have been preferable of course.

2014 is the test of whether this console can work for Nintendo, 3rd party is almost a lost cause. Even for Nintendo it might be a lost cause, I can't see how they could be profiting on their Wii U software. Smash, Kart, Zelda etc will not sell the number Nintendo is looking for due to low userbase.
#13XechsPosted 10/10/2013 5:29:23 AM
Usually the 2D marios do a lot better anyway, even NSMBu has half the hardware sales which is pretty good, it still is no where near jumping up the hardware sales alone, so I doubt 3D world can match that success. Just nothing is helping it out right now to get more install base.

The reason wii u is not taking off is the games that people want are just not ther. Just look how bleak the next gen console line up is at launch for first party and they already have 1-2 mil preorder and plan to ship 4 mil yet people will still buy those to see updated COD, battlefield, MGS to get them in the door.

Wii u is also missing a lot of first party that people want, so yeah I won't count it off until Zelda, Kart drop by. Then we'll see it's probably hardcore nintendo fans that only buy the system or if it can bring in more people. Just look at 3DS, they have NSMB2, 3D land, DK, Kart, and have exclusives like luigi mansion, fire emblem, kid icaraus. Plus they have 3rd party support. It's no wonder 3ds is doing so well, wii u needs those games soon especially since it's almost a year old it should be getting over the launch blues soon.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#14HermeticJustice(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 5:38:23 PM
Jobocan posted...
I'll ask this again: Why should I care how much the console sells? I don't have stake in the company, neither do you, neither does about 99.9% of people on this website. All anyone on here should care is "Is the system getting awesome games that I want to play?", and the Wii U definitely is. That's all gamers should ever care about.

If it ends up being disappointing games-wise (which it won't) or sales-wise (who cares)... oh well, I'll still have a 3DS and Vita and (early next year) PS4 and gaming PC to play games on as well...

And yeah, wait for MK8 and Smash, Super Mario 3D World will get some interest and help sales a little bit, but not at the same level as MK8 will.

I'll say this again: You want the games you like and the companies you like to sell good, it's just obvious

It has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with business, and if Nintendo does badly that will be bad for business, which is bad for the consumer as well

There are tons of games that I loved that will never get sequels because the game sold horribily

Same thing happens for Nintendo just with certain franchises, for instance, if Fire Emblem sold badly they would have ended the franchise, and that is a completely legitimate business plan, and that makes me tear up, fortunately Fire Emblem Awakening sold great, but whether you believe it or not, sales are important to a business
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#15lgiPosted 10/10/2013 5:43:37 PM
If Super Mario 3D World doesn't sell well = niche title
#16SoaringDivePosted 10/10/2013 5:53:44 PM
HermeticJustice posted...
KirbyFreak101 posted...
"I have said it here before and I will most likely say it again. MK8 will be where the system takes off. There are tons of people not only excited about a teaser trailer and a small demo, but just eagerly waiting for more info and of course the game before getting a Wii U."

Agreed. Mario Kart has become to the new system seller for Nintendo.

I guess if Mario Kart 8 does mediocre Nintendo can start working on making a new system

I'd say Nintendo should only give up if Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, and the next Zelda game flop. Those are three games considered to be absolute must-haves by their respective audiences (which are very large audiences).
---
Check out my sound cloud! I write orchestra pieces, sometimes piano solos: https://soundcloud.com/soaringdive
#17JobocanPosted 10/10/2013 6:15:15 PM
HermeticJustice posted...
I'll say this again: You want the games you like and the companies you like to sell good, it's just obvious

It has nothing to do with fanboyism and everything to do with business, and if Nintendo does badly that will be bad for business, which is bad for the consumer as well

There are tons of games that I loved that will never get sequels because the game sold horribily

Same thing happens for Nintendo just with certain franchises, for instance, if Fire Emblem sold badly they would have ended the franchise, and that is a completely legitimate business plan, and that makes me tear up, fortunately Fire Emblem Awakening sold great, but whether you believe it or not, sales are important to a business

Did I say sales weren't important to a business? No, I said that they don't and shouldn't matter to anyone BUT the business. Let Nintendo care about how well their games are selling, you shouldn't be caring at all.

I don't "want the games I like and the companies I like to sell good", I just want to play good games. I don't care about sequels either. I mean, if a game I liked gets a sequel I'll be happy, but if it doesn't it's no skin off my back. If a good game does well? Good, but I couldn't give 2 craps about that. As long as it was made and I could have fun with it, that's all that matters to me.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#18LordrvPosted 10/12/2013 2:25:14 AM
I don't even think Nintendo thinks it can salvage Wii U. There's a reason they're releasing smash on 3DS as well.
#19TediousMattPosted 10/12/2013 2:43:07 AM
Wut.

WWhd is a killer app in Europe. The sales of WiiU systems rose between 600 and 2000% in various retailers. My local store was sold out for the first time since launch.

There are more games besides Mario World. The WiiU looks like it'll have a good holiday season. And it also has a solid selection of games coming in 2014.
#20_Candice_Posted 10/12/2013 2:53:48 AM
Confirm

Every game this year that was hyped to be the system savior has fell flat on their faces so far. If a bigger name in games cant push this console its ****ed.
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard