*sigh* Another bad week...

#212wingedangel(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 9:07:27 AM
AkaneJones posted...
Oh here we go first Breath of Fire was a SNES RPG from Capcom that had fully animated isometric battles, before games like Chrono Trigger pulled off. In the US we didn't get Dragon Quest on SNES so even that level of animation didn't exist. Monsters in Final Fantasy just wiggle or shake or turn colour, on rare occasion the would switch portraits(like Mystic Quest).

Now then Breath of Fire had several different hooks to it's game play. The first was the title character Ryu could turn into a dragon. This isn't like Summons in Final Fantasy. The is a transformation that usually cost most of his magic, but could attack in this powered up state for the rest of the battle. Obviously as the game went on you learned more, many of which had elemental affinities, making which form to use strategic.

Anyway the second hook was mergers. In the first game it was only for Karn to use, but alowed him to merge with up to two of the secondary characters, Bo, Goby, Ox, & Magu. This allowed a merger of there powers in battle. In the end though you just end up going Puka as the fourth party member(Ryu, Nina, & Bleu(Deis) fill out the rest). Anyway this transformed into the shaman merger system in BoF2. This allowed anyone, except Ryu and Bleu(Deis), to merge with one of 6 elemental shamans you had to find, this if you use the right combination would result in a transformed state each character except Spar only have one(Spar has three). The main issue is you can only use a Shaman once, so arranging some transformations at the same time isn't possible.

One interesting thing is the merge states give you some pretty interesting battle skills. Nina's is Banish that ends non-boss battles as an auto escape. Sten's is one that switches random encounters for other random encounters in the area. Where as Jean's a instant death all screen slash(not so game braking as it might sound). Anyway Transformation also don't just apply to battle skills, the map game play using it for air transport, water transport, and the like. So the feature was a long standing design feature of the series.

Anyway the game/s also sports fishing, hunting, and even a town building features into it's extra side game content. There's were actually things unique to Breath of Fire at the time, even Zelda hadn't don't fishing(outside the one Link's Awakening mini-game that may have been produced at about the same time). Things like Harvest Moon didn't exist yet, so those things where pretty unique.

Needless to say you will find an interesting story that does connect between the first three games. Sadly though the translation is a crappy Capcom rush job. Basically Woosley of Square handled BoF1, as Square a picked up the rights in the US(and probably the reason it isn't on VC), but when it came time for Capcom to translate things they forgot what was already working. For some reason they forgot Myria was translated to Tyr, but remembered Deis was Bleu for a whole one game. Anyway at the end of the day they didn't bother to read through there translation and you get a boar enemy called a bear for example(it actively brakes one mini-game puzzle reliant on multi-coloured SFC controller buttons, yeah they were only two tones of purple in the US).

Anyway is a good game as should be given awhirl. This isn't say Paladin's Quest or Tecmo Secret of the Stars here.

Okay, good to know. Still, does it have the RTG like other RPGs in that time? Because that mechanic really annoys me.
---
3DS FC: 1048-8562-6194
I refuse to buy Pokemon Rumble U until they make a Cyndaquil figurine.
#22DeathSoul2000Posted 10/11/2013 9:12:42 AM
DTY3 posted...
2wingedangel posted...
DTY3 posted...
2wingedangel posted...
DTY3 posted...
You could throw in two extra bucks for Mighty Switch Force! HD.

Bought it, played it, hated it

Why?

I know it's based on speedrunning, but I'm the kind of gamer who likes to take their time to figure out puzzles. That game just makes me feel like I'm constantly being rushed, and I don't exactly work well under pressure. Also, some of the level design can be pretty frustrating.

...you could take as long as you wanted in all the levels. you didnt HAVE to speedrun and the game never rushed you. That was your own perception.

Why do you even care? Do you have a problem with people who don't enjoy games you did?
#23blunderminePosted 10/11/2013 9:15:24 AM(edited)
If Bit Trip Runner 2 is still $10 then that's an option.

Actually saw your part about not liking to be rushed. Have you tried Little Inferno yet?
#24ZerothmaPosted 10/11/2013 9:34:57 AM(edited)
AkaneJones posted...

*Super long post*

This guy hit the nail on the head. The two draws to the game are the fusions, which changed your character's appearance and special attacks, as well as stats I believe and battles were set up to look isometric.

I don't know what you mean by RTG, but it's turn based combat.
---
Cleaning up inaccuracies on the internet, one idiot at a time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, while a bad game is bad forever."-Shigeru Miyamoto
#25Rasputin77Posted 10/11/2013 9:36:35 AM
2wingedangel posted...
DTY3 posted...
2wingedangel posted...
DTY3 posted...
You could throw in two extra bucks for Mighty Switch Force! HD.

Bought it, played it, hated it

Why?

I know it's based on speedrunning, but I'm the kind of gamer who likes to take their time to figure out puzzles. That game just makes me feel like I'm constantly being rushed, and I don't exactly work well under pressure. Also, some of the level design can be pretty frustrating.

Never, ever answer that question. Not here. Don't you know GameFAQs etiquette?

1. Question that will garner an obviously subjective opinion.
2. (If you fall for it...) Your obviously subjective opinion.
3. Immediate scrambling to try and (somehow) prove your opinion 'wrong'.

Wash, rinse, repeat. And I fell for buying it too... I'm just not a fan of the "get a little bit farther... now get a little bit farther than that... now do it a little bit faster... now do it again even faster... now keep trying to do it faster, and get a little farther... okay, that's the end, now get there faster... yep, now get there faster... and faster... do it one more time as fast as you can" style of game play.

Oh, excuse me. Predictable comment time:

"Whuuu, then you must suck at games then since most of them play that way."
"Whuuu, that's your fault for not doing your research first."

Hey, I'm all about making poor purchasing decisions. I DO own a Wii U, despite what some of you would probably love to believe. ;)

DeathSoul2000 posted...
Why do you even care? Do you have a problem with people who don't enjoy games you did?

Do you remember when Kid Icarus: Uprising came out? If you had any... ANY problem with the controls, you either a) couldn't play video games, or b) were at fault for not being satisfied with any of the other (still sub-par) control schemes. An argument made hilarious when you considered the game came with its own f***ing stand, lol. XD

My point is... somewhere along the line, this generation got it in their head that someone's opinion somehow becomes invalid if you don't agree with it, and it's beyond enraging.
---
The irony of GameFAQs -- http://postimg.org/image/a2yrtprql/
I admit - it's totally my fault for not remembering how young and naive some of you are.
#26TrueBlue91Posted 10/11/2013 9:45:55 AM
NickTheBlitz posted...
2wingedangel posted...
Secret of Mana isn't on the Wii U eShop.

Oh. I never buy VC games since I own the real carts of most of them anyways; so I never actually look at the eShop's VC selection.

Final Fight 3 is still pretty good, though. And it was one of the first beat em ups to allow you to have a CPU controlled partner for a simulated co-op experience. ... I actually can't think of any other 2D beat em ups with such a feature, now that I think about it.

Try Streets of Rage Remake. It may be a fangame, but you'll quickly forget that once you play it. It's brilliant.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#27SakuyaScarletPosted 10/11/2013 9:55:19 AM
HermeticJustice posted...
2wingedangel posted...
I guess it kinda makes sense, seeing most people are saving up for Pokemon X and/or Y.

Oh well, what SNES game should I get? I've got $8 waiting to be burned.

if the Wii U is doing badly because people are trying to save up for a 40$ game than this is worse than I thought

Pokemon X and Y are coming out on the cheaper gaming system (3DS), and the games are targeted at kids. Plus, like you said, the games are only $40. Of course parents would go for the cheaper system with the cheaper game that their child is practically begging for them to get.
---
Touhoutards that annoy me the most are the ones still claiming Touhou isn't mainstream. Comiket and Reitaisai would like a word with them.
#282wingedangel(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:07:55 AM
I actually agree with Ras, especially his description of MSF. Except for me, it was more like "See that time there? If you don't finish faster than that, YOU F***ING SUCK. kthx4tehmonehbai."

Seriously, I feel bad about my life as it is for non-gaming reasons.

Zerothma posted...

RTG is Real Time Gauge, where your characters can't do anything until the bar next to their name fills up. I hate that because your combat options don't show up until the bar is filled, and enemies don't even need to select their attacks, meaning they don't waste even a nanosecond.

Anyway, good to know it's turn based.
---
#29linid0tPosted 10/11/2013 10:18:39 AM
2wingedangel posted...
I actually agree with Ras, especially his description of MSF. Except for me, it was more like "See that time there? If you don't finish faster than that, YOU F***ING SUCK. kthx4tehmonehbai."

Zerothma posted...

RTG is Real Time Gauge, where your characters can't do anything until the bar next to their name fills up. I hate that because your combat options don't show up until the bar is filled, and enemies don't even need to select their attacks, meaning they don't waste even a nanosecond.

uh I think you mean ATB
Also you could always switch to Wait so you have as much time as you want to make choices
---
you can't spell ign without ignorant: RE4FREAK
#302wingedangel(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:55:30 AM
linid0t posted...
2wingedangel posted...

Zerothma posted...

uh I think you mean ATB
Also you could always switch to Wait so you have as much time as you want to make choices

The thing is that it only "Waits" while you're in a menu. Unless you're mashing Attack on randomly selected enemies, you're pretty much boned. I know I'm probably exaggerating, but it's a pretty big disadvantage when you think about it.
---