Nintendo's achievements system

#21Heat6JonesPosted 10/10/2013 7:41:46 PM
I don't think a great game needs achievements but I think achievements add value to mediocre games.

In New Super Luigi U I am going through and trying to get all the star coins, get all the flags, beat all the levels, etc. I do this because the game points these things out and it adds replay value. With achievements even more things can be pointed out.

An example of this is Little Big Planet on PS3. The achievements in it add replay value which extended the life of the game. You have to beat each level without dying, you have to collect stickers, you have to do all sorts of stuff.

Having a system where you can compare all your games is really nice. I'd love to compare my NSLU NSMBU and Nintendo Land achievements side-by-side.

Nintendo has no interest though. They don't have much interest in anything, that's why the sales are so poor. Exclusive instead of inclusive. Hopefully they fix it soon.
#22WillWarePosted 10/10/2013 7:42:06 PM
StickMen1090 posted...
always was curious on the purpose of these kinds of topics... What info do you expect to get out of Gamefaqs that you cant find on Google? And why would people on gamefaqs have these answers but the rest of the world or gaming websites Dont

I was actually wondering the same thing.

lgi posted...
I'm always curious why it feels that you have to respond to threads like this.

And this isn't an answer.
---
I'm not exactly "normal." Hope this isn't a problem.
Remember - if no one agrees with you, you're probably wrong.
#23TalentedMPosted 10/10/2013 7:44:40 PM
W101 has bottlecaps, which are like achievements if I recall. I didn't try to get any but through the game I remember seeing them pop up about doing different things or collecting things.
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#24DTY3Posted 10/10/2013 8:05:11 PM
lgi posted...
Even Apple has them!

Ew.

And I'm cool with achievements as long as theyre done Sakurai-style.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#25Enigma149Posted 10/10/2013 8:06:36 PM
DTY3 posted...
lgi posted...
Even Apple has them!

Ew.

A Sakurai-style achievement grid (with unlockables integrated that creates an image when done) for every game?
Do want.

A simple list of accomplishments including "turned on the game" and "bought game on day 1"?
Not so much.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#26DTY3Posted 10/10/2013 8:08:18 PM
Enigma149 posted...
DTY3 posted...
lgi posted...
Even Apple has them!

Ew.

A Sakurai-style achievement grid (with unlockables integrated that creates an image when done) for every game?
Do want.

A simple list of accomplishments including "turned on the game" and "bought game on day 1"?
Not so much.

Exactly. He is the only one who makes achievements fun.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#27MasturCheeffPosted 10/10/2013 8:13:09 PM
DTY3 posted...

Same. Haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising yet but does that have achievements like Brawl's? I assume so since you said Sakurai style and not Brawl style.
---
I r guy.
#28Enigma149Posted 10/10/2013 8:15:09 PM
MasturCheeff posted...
DTY3 posted...

Same. Haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising yet but does that have achievements like Brawl's? I assume so since you said Sakurai style and not Brawl style.

Basically, though each of the grids makes a picture when they're done.

Kirby's Air Ride had the same sort of grid, too (though those were just colored squares).
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#29crucialPosted 10/10/2013 8:21:01 PM
Its a hobby with in a hobby and it has exploded,at least on Xbox and PS it has,I know people including myself that will not buy a game if it does not have cheevos,it saves me a ton of money because the game's give me way more replay value,back in the day I would never try to complete a game on the hardest setting or collect 100 of these item's and online cheevo's,and it was the main reason I bought a 360 was because of this,I can go back and look at cheevo's I got 7 year's ago and see the date and description.

A friend of mine plays PS3 games just to plat them,some games take him 300 hour's to get that now would he do that if trophys where not implemented?the answer is no way.

PC,MS,Sony,Steam,even IOS game's have them and is a selling point to many.
#30DTY3Posted 10/10/2013 8:25:45 PM
MasturCheeff posted...
DTY3 posted...

I havent played either but yeah it does. Kirby Air Ride was the first to do it and I think Meteos might have done it.
---