C/D: Nintendo needs to use the Mario RPGs as resources more often.

#1wiiking96Posted 10/12/2013 8:18:48 AM
The Mario RPGs have very consistently creative and charming since SMRPG(with the exeption of Sticker Star), and there's a lot of cool content that Nintendo could using from them.

Rather than having generic Blue Toad in NSMBW, they could have used Toadbert or another unique Toad. Several enemies could be interesting in a platformer set-up, like Bulky Bob-Bombs. Some music could also be remixed for levels or boss fights.

The same goes for the Mario Party and sports titlles. Why have a generic Koopa when one could play as Kooper or Kylie Koopa? Plenty of characters like Fawful and Dimentio would fit really well in the zany atmosphere of the Party games.

The most we've seen from the Mario RPGs is the Star Spirits in Mario Party 5, and a vague reference to Koopatrols.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2Luigi4PresidentPosted 10/12/2013 8:29:01 AM
D. Blue Toad is really fine, not everyone likes "by boogity" (even though I am a fan of him). But on a more general note, I will say that since platformers don't have lines or dialogue as much, they will seem very generic, even with their slightly different outfits.
---
In honor of the new season, introducing The Fall of Luigi4President
I don't see what's so bad about the barbarians. What's wrong with a good haircut?
#3wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 8:38:34 AM
Luigi4President posted...
D. Blue Toad is really fine, not everyone likes "by boogity" (even though I am a fan of him). But on a more general note, I will say that since platformers don't have lines or dialogue as much, they will seem very generic, even with their slightly different outfits.

Toadbert would seem less generic than Blue Toad(who is not "really fine", BTW) even without having any dialogue.

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/8/83/Toadbertmlbis.PNG/200px-Toadbertmlbis.PNG

And it feels like you're only saying D in response to one part of my post, without even saying why it would be specifically bad.
---
#4segagamerPosted 10/12/2013 8:40:38 AM
How about normal toad...
---
Wii U+Steam Box :)
#5wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 9:15:34 AM
segagamer posted...
How about normal toad...

How about a Toad that's actually visually unique?
---
#6imameliaPosted 10/12/2013 10:42:01 AM
I would agree with that. The Mario RPGs have a much wider variety of characters than the platformers.
#7wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 4:38:27 PM
imamelia posted...
I would agree with that. The Mario RPGs have a much wider variety of characters than the platformers.

There are also plenty of interesting enemies from them that feel more creative than most enemies from modern Mario games. Just look at Dream Team! Capnaps, Flouderflages, Lob-Bombs, Hermite Crabs, Monolifts, Dark Blocks, etc. These enemies could be really interesting in a platformer environment.
---
#8NovaLevossidaPosted 10/12/2013 5:23:25 PM
Blue Toad works in 3D World as it is a callback to Mario 2, USA version. Toad was blue there rather than red, and the rest of the cast from that game is back. Blue Toad in other games without the rest of the Mario 2 cast is a disappointing choice. Or even multiple Toads.

Nintendo's big selling point rather than new IPs or new ideas lately has been just riding nostalgia as hard as it can or recycling ideas, so blue Toad makes sense in this context. Even not in that context, I don't have any problem with him really (in 3D World at least), but they could have chosen a character with some more unique control options like a playable Yoshi or even changed up the "plot" (yeah, yeah...) and given us Bowser. Blue Toad is fine, but it leaves something to be desired.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#9wiiking96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 2:34:27 PM
bump
---