Taking care of my Wii U. Is it wrong?

#51LvthnPosted 10/12/2013 7:23:31 PM
Despite the fact that I think TC goes too far, I actually sympathize with some of what he says.

I'm much more careful with my Vita and PC than I am with my PS3. I handle ALL discs with care but I will use the DS3 controller without scrubbing down, though I do wash if I'm actually dirty and don't eat while playing. I may allow myself to smoke and play, something I don't do with my PC or Vita. The main reason is that I only touch the DS3 and that's not hard to replace if I want, and doesn't show marks much anyway. The Vita has a touchscreen and the whole thing is a single unit so I am careful not to wear it out.

Not letting others handle expensive items is understandable. Within games, I'm much less paranoid about letting someone play my full consoles than my handhelds, for the same reasons given above. Most controllers for even vintage systems aren't terribly expensive, though I do reserve a GC controller for my own exclusive use (new official controllers are expensive now and used ones with nice tight sticks are getting rarer to find, and you must buy in person to verify the stick is what I will call "F-Zero tight", as in new enough to give perfect precision for F-Zero GX).
#52MumboJPosted 10/12/2013 7:56:25 PM(edited)
J_holdz posted...
tizzywilkillyou posted...
J_holdz posted...
I know for a fact i don't have OCD,

Riiiiight...

Seriously, I really don't, I'm only like this with consoles. And seeing how the Wii U easily picks up fingerprints, I'm just trying my best to keep that from happening. I paid enough amount of money for it considering i don't have much atm, so I think trying to keep it looking the best isn't such a bad idea.

You realize OCD doesn't necessarily manifest itself in every aspect of your life. Even if you only have such stringent rules and rituals that must be followed when it comes to gaming, you probably have at least a touch of it.
---
Et earello, endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan, ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!
#53burizadokyanonPosted 10/12/2013 8:15:52 PM
One time, I was dog sitting for my professors, who happened to have a 16 year old son who owned an Xbox. I decided I would take advantage of this opportunity and see what Halo was like. Well, I put in the disc and it simply would not work. It was just SO scratched up, it couldn't be read. I have no idea how people let that happen to their games. It's absurd.
---
PSN ID: EvilCowKing http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=evilcowking
#54kalmeqPosted 10/12/2013 8:22:22 PM
J_holdz posted...
laxnd23 posted...
J_holdz posted...
laxnd23 posted...
So how are you going to handle those cases where there are games played using the gamepad between 2 people, like that stuff in Wii Play U? Going to tell them to put on rubber gloves?

I am not planning on getting Wii Play U.

But what if there is a game you do want that does that? That was my point. Like I understand cleaning your system. That makes sense. But not letting people use some stuff just because you don't want their finger prints on it, DESPITE the fact that you clean it anyway is pretty douchey. Like I understand it's your Wii U, but its just temporary fingerprints, he isn't using a nail as a stylus.

You are right, but it's not like he's itching to use it or anything anyway. I understand people may think it's utterly insane, but you know, it's a new system and perhaps I'll let up in say 4 years time :P in which time he'll have a Wii U himself. it's not just fingerprints i'm afraid of though, small ones by accident, i can wipe away, it's just i have my own little ways of handling my Wii U gamepad. Like picking it by tucking my fingers underneath it instead of just grabbing with your thumb on the glossy side and other stuff. I know it's ridicolous but oh well.

this '' Like picking it by tucking my fingers underneath it instead of just grabbing with your thumb on the glossy side and other stuff. I know it's ridicolous but oh well.''

is so ocd
#55J_holdz(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 8:31:24 PM
kalmeq posted...
J_holdz posted...
laxnd23 posted...
J_holdz posted...
laxnd23 posted...
So how are you going to handle those cases where there are games played using the gamepad between 2 people, like that stuff in Wii Play U? Going to tell them to put on rubber gloves?

I am not planning on getting Wii Play U.

But what if there is a game you do want that does that? That was my point. Like I understand cleaning your system. That makes sense. But not letting people use some stuff just because you don't want their finger prints on it, DESPITE the fact that you clean it anyway is pretty douchey. Like I understand it's your Wii U, but its just temporary fingerprints, he isn't using a nail as a stylus.

You are right, but it's not like he's itching to use it or anything anyway. I understand people may think it's utterly insane, but you know, it's a new system and perhaps I'll let up in say 4 years time :P in which time he'll have a Wii U himself. it's not just fingerprints i'm afraid of though, small ones by accident, i can wipe away, it's just i have my own little ways of handling my Wii U gamepad. Like picking it by tucking my fingers underneath it instead of just grabbing with your thumb on the glossy side and other stuff. I know it's ridicolous but oh well.

this '' Like picking it by tucking my fingers underneath it instead of just grabbing with your thumb on the glossy side and other stuff. I know it's ridicolous but oh well.''

is so ocd

It's the best way to pick it up. That way you don't get a fat thumb smudge on the glossy plastic. It just looks crap.
#56Rasputin77Posted 10/12/2013 8:48:45 PM(edited)
TC, how could it be "wrong"? Do you mean, could something bad come from it? (Sorry, I didn't scan the thread - you may have answered this) Honestly, the only thing 'wrong' with even OCD-esque behavior (Does 'I know for a fact' mean you've been tested?) is that it might detract from relationships, or your everyday life. The 'no touching the cover or manuals' thing might come... close... to being a little unnecessary... but everything else just sounds like good upkeep.

Washing your hands before touching a controller... I would never laugh at that. I've alcohol-Qtipped so many sticky buttons on Dualshock controllers, I lost count. I started buying different colors and deeming them "my" controllers ever since the N64. That's what tapping into lots of multiplayer (of course Goldeneye) will get you, eventually. I used to sit and watch in HORROR when people would be over to play Guitar Hero / Rock Band, and I could hear the plastic ccrrrrreaking under their white-fingertipped, death grip on the guitar neck. "Man, just press the buttons... I know two at once is hard at first, but... let up a little."

ccrrrrreak...
---
The irony of GameFAQs -- http://postimg.org/image/a2yrtprql/
I admit - it's totally my fault for not remembering how young and naive some of you are.
#57selfdeztructionPosted 10/12/2013 10:51:42 PM
TC,I'm a germaphobe that carries a container of wet ones in my car (liquid hand sanitizer is crappy and leaves residue on stuff) and I have visitors wash their hands as soon as they come over.

I tell them that it's not because I think that they are dirty but that it is because I know that everything else is and I also wash my hands as soon as I go into their houses.

I also wash movie/game rentals and used movies/games twice with Dawn dish soap and then wipe them with a disinfecting wipe prior to them going into my player.

Skin oils and other resididue gets flung off the disk and flung unto the inside of the player because of the centrifugal force that is caused by a spinning disk.

You should let your heavy handed friend use the gamepad (unless hes broken or mistreated your stuff in the past) but just have him to sit down while using the gamepad.

If he likes the games and gamepad then he'll likely buy a Wii U and that would also be good for you because then he'd want to play more and then he could bring his own gamepad.
---
XBL/PSN (PS3&vita)/Wii-U/Skype-selfdeztruction
Wii FC(HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DSXL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore.OKC gamer
#58TransdudePosted 10/12/2013 11:17:14 PM
selfdeztruction posted...
Skin oils and other resididue gets flung off the disk and flung unto the inside of the player because of the centrifugal force that is caused by a spinning disk.

Thanks for leaving that image in my head.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996