Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine -> Super Mario Galaxy

#1PangLaPosted 10/13/2013 10:42:01 AM
What will be the next big 3D Mario game for console? People want a Super Mario Galaxy 3, but I think they should come out with a completely new idea instead.
#2pakman3Posted 10/13/2013 10:46:11 AM
Before 3d world was announced, NOBODY wanted g3. Now everybody does. It's the mario cycle. Also: m64=mg>ms
#3BeanBeanKingdomPosted 10/13/2013 10:47:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUKWKDDDFdc
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#4flame030191Posted 10/13/2013 10:48:50 AM
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I don't want Galaxy 3 nor 3D World. I'd like a new Super Mario game similar to 64 but on a larger scale. Free roam central "hub world" of sorts, multiple "portals" to go to the worlds, several missions to accomplish there, and a loose but central story to tie it all together was what made M64 the best.

Sunshine barely fell short simply because they put too high of emphasis on the lackluster story, and Galaxy added a few too many gimmicks for my taste.
---
PSN ID: armyflame (formerly Troll_Face_Flame) X360 gamertag: That Guy Flame Wii U: That_Guy_Flame
Call of Duty 2 is still the best of the series.
#5manmousePosted 10/13/2013 10:52:26 AM
this is just a guess at the future, but i predict there will be a game called Super Mario 3D World, and it'll be a faster paced Mario game with multiplayer and you can select between the lineup of SMB2 characters, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and blue Toad. i bet there'll be some new powerups, like a cat suit that makes you run faster and climb walls and pounce, and maybe a cherry that duplicates you, and a cannon head.

but yeah if some of these game design experts from this board got their way, it would be Super Mario Skyrim, a large open world collectathon with wide open plains instead of linear platforming and jumping, and you'd just wander around doing things that triggered the collecting of stars.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#6Golden MavenPosted 10/13/2013 10:56:46 AM
flame030191 posted...
I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not, but I don't want Galaxy 3 nor 3D World. I'd like a new Super Mario game similar to 64 but on a larger scale. Free roam central "hub world" of sorts, multiple "portals" to go to the worlds, several missions to accomplish there, and a loose but central story to tie it all together was what made M64 the best.

Sunshine barely fell short simply because they put too high of emphasis on the lackluster story, and Galaxy added a few too many gimmicks for my taste.

I agree with all of this, but somehow I doubt Nintendo wants to cater to "core" gamers at this point.
#700bularn00bularPosted 10/13/2013 11:07:41 AM
Lol catering to core gamers. Nintendo making your sole wet dream of a casual game has nothing to do with core gamers. That description didn't mention online functions, difficulty, or anything else that would actually be relevant to a core gamer today who isn't a total nostalgia nerd.

I want a completely new idea. I didn't like Super Mario 64 at all. It was a really boring game. You went to the same world six times in order to do a lot of meaningless tasks. Whomp fortress had you climb to the top in order to fight the whomp king. Then the second star made you climb it again. And the red coins (ugh) made you climb it again...

I want a platformer that has me doing something different every level. Throw a different world at me in every level. Have level ideas that are exclusive to that level alone, making them unique (woah! Cannons and red coins are here too! Yeah!) and intuitive. If I'm forced to go back to the same place over and over again, send me to a different subsection of that area instead. The second time I go to an ice world, make me explore an abandoned factory that I couldn't explore before. And the third time, let me ride ski lifts that I could only glimpse in the distance the first two times I visited.
---
Sonic's Earth IS Earth. This has been proven through science~Nacho_Burger
#8Golden MavenPosted 10/13/2013 11:14:35 AM(edited)
00bularn00bular posted...
I didn't like Super Mario 64 at all. It was a really boring game. And yes, I did play it on some emulator or later console, hence having no idea what the hell I'm talking about. But here's my opinion anyway.

Mario 64 only ushered in 3D gaming on consoles, and did so while being an ambitious Mario game in its own right. It also laid the blueprint for 3D gaming on consoles at that point. But yeah, I guess it would be pretty boring if you only tried it on some emulator or the virtual console store at this point.

If you can't appreciate the context that came with the game, then don't bother judging it. It's obvious you didn't play the game in 1996, probably only in 2008 or something.
#900bularn00bularPosted 10/13/2013 11:27:10 AM
Yeah, I'd say 2008 is pretty close to 1999. Didn't know the virtual console existed on the N64.

I started gaming on the playstation, so I played it after playing games like Syphon Filter and Crash Bandicoot. Since I was a kid, I played Mario 64 like I played any other game. In order to have fun. I didn't stare at the artistic design on the screen like some sort of amazed artists critic. I stared at the screen wondering why I was in Bomb omb battlefield yet again. When in 2004, I played Super Mario World for the first time, I wondered why it was a much better game. It had better pacing, it didn't recycle areas, and it had a perfect atmosphere. Super Mario 64 didn't have that at all and had the audacity to make you explore empty worlds like Jolly Roger Bay.

People like you make me wonder if we'll see Shadow of the Collosus in museums ten years from now, being praised for everything it did for the art community while no longer being treated like a game. Games of the past don't need to be appreciated for what they did back then. They aren't historical figures. A truly good game is always a good game. Super Metroid is still a 10/10 almost 20 years later and I played that game three years ago. Meanwhile, Link's Awakening is showing its age while LTTP is still pretty great.
---
Sonic's Earth IS Earth. This has been proven through science~Nacho_Burger
#10Golden MavenPosted 10/13/2013 11:33:17 AM
OK, well 1999 is 3 years after the fact. 3D gaming was already mature at that point.

It's unfair to judge games out of context. Everything ages, technology moves forward, ideas evolve. I'm not an artsy fartsy kind of guy, but I can appreciate the impact a game had in its day. Mario 64 had a huge impact, and part of the experience was having your mind blown by playing a full-on 3D mario game for the first time. In 1996, that was a great experience.

In 2013 though, of course I would rather play a modern game like GTA V.