Super Mario 64 -> Super Mario Sunshine -> Super Mario Galaxy

#41MumboJPosted 10/13/2013 2:25:48 PM
AkaneJones posted...
It's not that plently of people wanted a new "collect-a-thon" game.

I know I do.
---
Et earello, endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan, ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!
#42wiiking96Posted 10/13/2013 2:26:19 PM
Sunshine was a case where the developers were just too ambitious for their own abilities. FLUDD as the focus of the gameplay was a rather significant change from SM64, and a lot of Mario fans felt isolated by that change.

It also has a lot of problems like an excess of Blue Coins and not enough areas to explore, along with an unneeded restriction on the order of choosing which Shines you want to collect in what order.

Despite all this, it's my favorite 3D Mario game. I actually rather enjoyed collecting Blue Coins, as I like collection sequences in general. Blue Coins offered a different type of non-linearity and focus on exploration that I rather enjoyed. I also feel that the missions are stronger than in SM64 in general.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#43legendofskylandPosted 10/13/2013 2:33:31 PM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUKWKDDDFdc

That trailer actually makes me want 3d world less. IMO no proper console 3D Mario platformer should have a time limit for stages. This is just 3D Land for the Wii U. It's just like what the did with the "New" Super Mario Bros on the DS and Wii
#44hhjghbhghnmhPosted 10/13/2013 2:39:02 PM
manmouse posted...

-yes, i normally criticize M64 as being objectively worse than SMGalaxy, and i do believe that. it's an extremely flawed game and its level designs are far worse, its pacing is far worse, its controls are far worse, its camera is far worse. but overall i just subjectively enjoy the minimalist and atmospheric and stripped down feel of M64 despite its technical flaws.

I actually do personally enjoy Galaxy a whole lot more than Mario 64 too, but you still can't call it objectively worse. As long as there's no quantitative measurement for "good" level design/visuals/controls/camera and no objective ranking for how to prioritize those, there can't be any sort of objectivity.

Yes the controls are a bit slippery, but some people (like me to some extent) enjoy them like that. And the level design is not only completely subjective, they're apples and oranges to an extent. There aren't any individual missions in each level of M64, you're just thrown into a world with all seven stars until you find one with only a few vague clues in the title. In Galaxy you're either starting in a different place or going to a different one pretty soon to find the specific star for that mission, outside the one or two hidden stars in each level. It's pretty easy to see people preferring one over the other.

Basically, if the end goal is having fun, everything will end up being subjective because fun itself is always subjective.

Anyways on topic, as much as I liked the Galaxies, I'd much rather just have a new one. I wouldn't mind seeing some Galaxy elements in it, but I don't want it getting stale.
---
Barrel!
#45Jacob46719Posted 10/13/2013 2:43:13 PM
PangLa posted...
What will be the next big 3D Mario game for console? People want a Super Mario Galaxy 3, but I think they should come out with a completely new idea instead.

3D world is the next big one.
---
Buying These: Mario 3D World, SSB4, SSB4, MK8, Watch Dogs, CoD: Ghosts, Pokemon Y, Zelda: ALBW, X
May Buy These: PS4, Infamous: SS, Destiny, ESO
#46xOmniCloudxPosted 10/13/2013 2:43:40 PM
pakman3 posted...
Before 3d world was announced, NOBODY wanted g3. Now everybody does. It's the mario cycle. Also: m64=mg>ms

This. What do people think about SMG2?
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#47Jacob46719Posted 10/13/2013 2:44:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]