The difference between a fact and a opinion.

#11manmousePosted 10/14/2013 5:16:26 PM
Panner, i think you need to re-read that.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#12FredSavage27Posted 10/14/2013 7:54:38 PM
http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

Hardest game ever.
#13GLDanzegoPosted 10/14/2013 8:16:40 PM
99% of what is said on message boards is opinion. It goes without saying and most people get that. Then there are people like the TC.

Get the stick out of your butt, dude. Seriously.

---
#14Rocky2418Posted 10/14/2013 8:22:40 PM
lilburrito posted...
So I often read through a lot of the topics here on the Wii U board. And I've come to realize that a lot of you seriously don't know what's the difference between a fact and an a opinion.

I saw this topic and simply had to pop in and wholeheartedly agree. It is oh so exhausting talking to people who state their opinions as facts. I've called attention to it within various topics, during times when it's going on. I, personally, try very hard to use the phrases "I think" or "in my opinion" liberally - sometimes even italicizing the words think and opinion. I probably say it more often than necessary (ideally, it should be a given that any view expressed within a viewpoint discussion is an opinion, not factual). But I err on the side of caution. :-)
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#15SoeroahPosted 10/14/2013 8:23:35 PM
GLDanzego posted...
99% of what is said on message boards is opinion. It goes without saying and most people get that. Then there are people like the TC.

---

Nah, there are actually people who will clarify that what they said is a fact, despite it being an opinion.

It's not a matter of assuming what people say is their opinion. Some people actually believe it is a fact and insult those who don't agree with their opinion.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#16Rocky2418Posted 10/14/2013 8:27:59 PM
GLDanzego posted...
It goes without saying and most people get that.

It should, and they should. In my experience, that is bafflingly not the case.

Soeroah posted...
Some people actually believe it is a fact and insult those who don't agree with their opinion.

This.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#17cmincPosted 10/15/2013 3:44:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#18GLDanzegoPosted 10/15/2013 4:57:00 AM
Soeroah posted...
GLDanzego posted...

---

Nah, there are actually people who will clarify that what they said is a fact, despite it being an opinion.

It's not a matter of assuming what people say is their opinion. Some people actually believe it is a fact and insult those who don't agree with their opinion.

Who cares?

It's like this guy who posted right before this very reply I'm typing. I disagree very much with what he says and he's doing the whole "stating his opinion as fact" thing. Now, I could choose to argue with him about what he said, trying to point out that his "facts" really are a matter of opinion....but why? What is arguing with him over that really going to change? Not a whole lot.

That's my point. Any reasonable person can see that it's really opinion, so better not to get so wound up about it. TC's little crusade here isn't going to change anything.

---
#19Neo_HeartlessPosted 10/15/2013 5:57:55 AM
cminc posted...
Fact: wiiu has been out almost a year now and has next to nothing to show for it.

Fact: mario 3d world is the only proper, non-garbage exclusive wii u will be getting through the holidays.

Fact:.wiiu owners, like me, will buy 3d world in droves because that's the only thing thats really on offer worth a crap. (Damn you, sega!) Kind of just like we did with galaxy.

Fact: After 3d world is completed and replayed a couple times through the first week, everyone that has the option will go back to playing their game consoles that actually have game variety until they get donkey kong and the cycle repeats.

Fact: those that dont have the option to play another console will come here to talk about 3d world. Theyll also mention, with regularity, that theyre glad that next to no other games are coming to wii u because 3d world is better. From then on, until the next 3d mario, every game that comes out on any other systems wont matter, will be brown and gray and will suck in comparison to 3d world-- which, by then, will be the greatest f'ing game of all time.

Fact: Everyone who doesnt want to buy a wii u for one game will be wrong. And console sales will cease to matter the very second wii u is outsold by whatever hardware that actually has more than one kind of game to play.

Your first fact is opinion and varies based on game taste.

Your second fact is opinion. The poor sales of launch games show that people won't just buy anything for a console because its there.

Your third fact is a fact but it is bordering on the kind of announcement that summons Captain Obvious and Obviousteers. People move on to where they want to play a game, what. a. shock.

Your 4th and 5th is opinion. Not everyone will physically be able to go online and brag about a game. There's also no way of knowing if said people are legitimate or trolls, or even if they have the game.

So, yeah, way to prove TC's point.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#20lilburrito(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 3:08:18 PM
GLDanzego posted...
Soeroah posted...
GLDanzego posted...

---

Who cares?

It's like this guy who posted right before this very reply I'm typing. I disagree very much with what he says and he's doing the whole "stating his opinion as fact" thing. Now, I could choose to argue with him about what he said, trying to point out that his "facts" really are a matter of opinion....but why? What is arguing with him over that really going to change? Not a whole lot.

That's my point. Any reasonable person can see that it's really opinion, so better not to get so wound up about it. TC's little crusade here isn't going to change anything.

---

Which in the end, is an opinion. By the way I have no stick up my but mind you. Both you and I don't know whether this is "really" going to change anything or not and I really don't think there is any harm in calling attention to the issue either.

Rocky2418 posted...
lilburrito posted...
So I often read through a lot of the topics here on the Wii U board. And I've come to realize that a lot of you seriously don't know what's the difference between a fact and an a opinion.

I saw this topic and simply had to pop in and wholeheartedly agree. It is oh so exhausting talking to people who state their opinions as facts. I've called attention to it within various topics, during times when it's going on. I, personally, try very hard to use the phrases "I think" or "in my opinion" liberally - sometimes even italicizing the words think and opinion. I probably say it more often than necessary (ideally, it should be a given that any view expressed within a viewpoint discussion is an opinion, not factual). But I err on the side of caution. :-)

Then your just like me :D, I almost always try to include those very same phrases in whatever I post.
---
"Henshin A Go-Go Baby!"