I was about to get a Wii U today and pre-order Sonic Lost World, and then...

#51Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 10/17/2013 12:34:19 PM
Mattatron42 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Mattatron42 posted...
I haven't played it yet, but it definitely looks like one of the better Sonic games in years. It doesn't look slow or boring at all and seems, by the discussion about the live stream yesterday, to be pretty challenging. I'll be picking it up in a couple weeks.

@kirbyfan
read the damn thread TC lives in America and his friend lives in Ireland

*Or somewhere. Now stop being rude, my point still stands.

I agree he should play it for himself, I'm just not sure a trip to Ireland from the U.S. is very cost effective. I'll stop being rude when you stop trolling.

You do have a point. This game does not appear to be even worth $30 much less a trip to Ireland.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#52GamerFan210Posted 10/17/2013 12:34:50 PM
Well that's your friends opinion, that's not a fact that the game is boring to everyone. What he finds boring I might find awesome.
#53AhnoldDoodPosted 10/17/2013 12:35:36 PM
GEKGanon posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
GEKGanon posted...
I'm sure Sonic Lost World is probably terrible. There hasn't been a good Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis. After that, every game only has you controlling the character for about a third of any level. The rest is like watching the game autoplay itself, with the character bouncing from springboard to springboard, running through loops, and getting propelled by other little gadgets.

WOW, the trolling here is beyong pathetic.

I'm not trolling. There hasn't been a single well-received Sonic game in YEARS. Some of them so bad (Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog), they practically define bad video games. Even some that weren't THAT bad (Sonic Advance series?) were still huge auto-play events where the character hits a springboard then proceeds through 20 seconds of uncontrollable bullcrap, whereby you reach the end of the level and think "Wow, I really didn't do anything...".

The Sonic Rush games for the DS were decent. The console games? Not so much. Generations wasn't horrible, but it was still incredibly mediocre.

So Sonic Lost Worlds? I want to believe it is going to be good, but recent history dictates it won't be. While I'd like for my hopes to be high, from what I've seen in the gameplay videos, I fully expect it to be the same mediocre auto-play hogwash we've gotten over the past decade.

So you're pulling these comments out of your arse or..?

Colors, Generations and yes, even Sonic 4, were all well-recieved, even by fans. And Sonic Advance? Autoplay? You for freaking real?
#54GamersTavernPosted 10/17/2013 12:39:41 PM
Riddle me this: are there lost worlds?
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#55segagamerPosted 10/17/2013 12:42:46 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
GEKGanon posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
GEKGanon posted...
I'm sure Sonic Lost World is probably terrible. There hasn't been a good Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis. After that, every game only has you controlling the character for about a third of any level. The rest is like watching the game autoplay itself, with the character bouncing from springboard to springboard, running through loops, and getting propelled by other little gadgets.

I'm not trolling. There hasn't been a single well-received Sonic game in YEARS. Some of them so bad (Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog), they practically define bad video games. Even some that weren't THAT bad (Sonic Advance series?) were still huge auto-play events where the character hits a springboard then proceeds through 20 seconds of uncontrollable bullcrap, whereby you reach the end of the level and think "Wow, I really didn't do anything...".

The Sonic Rush games for the DS were decent. The console games? Not so much. Generations wasn't horrible, but it was still incredibly mediocre.

So Sonic Lost Worlds? I want to believe it is going to be good, but recent history dictates it won't be. While I'd like for my hopes to be high, from what I've seen in the gameplay videos, I fully expect it to be the same mediocre auto-play hogwash we've gotten over the past decade.

Colors, Generations and yes, even Sonic 4, were all well-recieved, even by fans. And Sonic Advance? Autoplay? You for freaking real?

Sonic colors is good, though the 2D segments can be boring at times.

I have no played Generations

Sonic 4 is hated by a lot of people

Sonic Advance 1 isn't necessarily autoplay. Advance 2, however, is basically auto play.
---
Wii U+Steam Box :)
#56cha_fan1Posted 10/17/2013 12:43:26 PM
I have NOT played the game, so my opinion just based on what I've seen thus far, but I do not feel optimistic for Sonic: Lost World.

As an admitted classicist, I feel the Sonic series is at its most successful without the frills and features that newer games have introduced to the series. The introduction of the Six is another frill that Sega seems bent on adding to the franchise, when they should be focusing on the blend of platforming and speed that made the original series successful. Perhaps a game more in tune with the likes of New Super Mario Bros would be a good exercise for the development team in an understanding of what makes a Sonic game work.

The level design of the original core games (Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles) was excellent, and they should focus on working within the original framework for a game and creating an expansive array of levels within that framework to foster creativity and level design with the team.

That team can then move from that game to introduce new basic ideas that change play with new games. Items like the shields from Sonic 3 definitely can create interesting mechanics and possibilities for red rings in a Sonic game, as well as other shields that might offer interesting but temporary powers, and similar to Mario, are not necessary for success.

Once they have that down, they can begin to explore 3-D, but Sonic has an issue in the 3-D world that Mario games do not: Speed.

The speedy environment that works so wonderfully on a side-scroller often creates control and design issues in 3-D, due to the platforming nature of the game. In order to maintain its functionality, the 3-D world must also be largely linear to stop a person from just zooming into walls left and right.

That being said, I do think the franchise has a bright future. I buy every game that I feel takes a step in the right direction as my support for the iconic character and the luscious music his games bring to the table.
---
A musical sentence is a motive that is immediately developed upon then drives towards a PAC, IAC, or HC. The PC was likely unallowed due to counterpoint rules.
#57GEKGanonPosted 10/17/2013 12:47:09 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
GEKGanon posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
GEKGanon posted...

I'm not going to turn this into a huge argument. The Sonic series is a totally random mixed bag that took a nosedive after the Genesis games. Just wait for the game to be released, I guarantee you it is either going to be completely horrible, or "meh". They don't make GOOD Sonic games anymore.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#58Mattatron42Posted 10/17/2013 12:48:26 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Mattatron42 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Mattatron42 posted...
I haven't played it yet, but it definitely looks like one of the better Sonic games in years. It doesn't look slow or boring at all and seems, by the discussion about the live stream yesterday, to be pretty challenging. I'll be picking it up in a couple weeks.

@kirbyfan
read the damn thread TC lives in America and his friend lives in Ireland

*Or somewhere. Now stop being rude, my point still stands.

I agree he should play it for himself, I'm just not sure a trip to Ireland from the U.S. is very cost effective. I'll stop being rude when you stop trolling.

You do have a point. This game does not appear to be even worth $30 much less a trip to Ireland.

haha, looks like I can be rude for a little longer
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#59songoku0206Posted 10/17/2013 12:51:49 PM
From what I've heard the final boss is a copy and paste of the egg nega wisp fight from colors and if that the case then yeah we have problems here, but the ppl who are defending this game I can't even get mad cause at this point the wii-u need all that it can get right now.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Cloudstrife0206
#60MasterDarkenPosted 10/17/2013 12:53:54 PM
You know, people used to praise STH 06 before it was released and look what happened...I'm pretty sure this is the reverse happening, with people hating on it before release and then it getting amazing reviews.