What is Nintendo going to do next gen?

#1iKhan88Posted 10/19/2013 7:13:39 AM
With Sony and Microsoft probably going to cloud based services over consoles next gen, do you think Nintendo will do the same? If so how will they keep their hardware business? How would they keep their games unique?

If they don't go the way of Sony and Microsoft, does it mean they are staying in a dying console market, or that they are sustaining it?
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#2MeanKirbyFan_1Posted 10/19/2013 7:19:44 AM
I think if the wii u continues the way it is going nintenso will have to rethink what they will do and come up with a better plan.
---
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww327/Eox_of_Fret/gifs/kirbyeatmo8.gif
*munch munch*
#3BjornAgainstPosted 10/19/2013 7:21:24 AM
I suspect it is only a matter of time before Nintendo goes software only, the Wii U will probably be their last console and it will die in a few years. They may have one more handheld after the 3DS, but mobile devices are becoming so common that they are going to have really tough competition in the handheld market soon. Hardware is going to be a big money loser for them in the future, but they will always be big when it comes to software.
#4Motobug321Posted 10/19/2013 7:43:48 AM
BjornAgainst posted...
I suspect it is only a matter of time before Nintendo goes software only, the Wii U will probably be their last console and it will die in a few years. They may have one more handheld after the 3DS, but mobile devices are becoming so common that they are going to have really tough competition in the handheld market soon. Hardware is going to be a big money loser for them in the future, but they will always be big when it comes to software.

Unlikely.
http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/
#5iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 7:47:59 AM
BjornAgainst posted...

Why on earth would the only company that makes differentiated hardware go software only? Unless the console market gives way to cloud services (which is what this topic is about), that won't happen.

Really the only successful hardware company that has gone software only was Sega, and in case you hadn't noticed, they got bought and aren't doing to hot even with Sammy. Sega also only went 3rd Party when they started hemorrhaging money as a hardware company. Which Nintendo is not.
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#6JackalPosted 10/19/2013 7:54:00 AM
Because making such hardware is the only way they can compete with the others. They have to use gimmicks.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#7Zato InfinitePosted 10/19/2013 7:54:41 AM
Motobug321 posted...
BjornAgainst posted...

Unlikely.
http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

The point isn't about how much Nintendo has in the bank. The point is sales aren't that good for the Wii U. Sure you can probably fix that with more money but eventually it wouldn't be cost effective if they keep going the way they are going on the console front.

The Wii U has been out for almost a year and sales have been terrible. The point is Nintendo needs to make a change to make their system more attractive to the buyer. We all know Nintendo has money coming out the wazoo but no company in their right mind would dump money into a plan that isn't working.

Hopefully they can turn it around this holiday season. Anyone here who thinks XBOne and/or PS4 is going to destroy the Wii U in sales is out of their minds. Outsell it? Very likely but they ain't going to destroy anything.
---
Hey guys! Zatanna got nerfed to the Heroes' side!
#8neversayeverPosted 10/19/2013 7:58:36 AM
Next gen? What about the last 3? Not enough video games floatin around(like automobiles)? Lets try letting them explain this gen and getting it right iand how much consumers feel slighted, before we talk about next gen. They want our money tomorrow,but cant prove they are worth it today. This whole cloud based nonsense should stay in the clouds.
#9iKhan88(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 8:03:50 AM
Jackal posted...
Because making such hardware is the only way they can compete with the others. They have to use gimmicks.

What? This might be the stupidest post I've ever seen.

"Because following your business model is the only way you can compete". That's obviously not true, it's the way Nintendo CHOOSES to compete, and the way they think is the best in the long run.

Nintendo could very well have made a console like the PS4, but then we'd see fewer overall console sales due to a lack of differentiated products. And they couldn't make as good software without the hardware their developers wanted to use.
---
I am iKhanic. REBORN!
#10userfrigginamePosted 10/19/2013 8:06:03 AM
"How will they keep their games unique"? I guess by not sharing 90% of the same games of the other consoles. We're seeing less exclusives for consoles every gen (although Sony has picked it up in the latter half of their PS3 cycle). Xbox lost control of Mass Effect, Bayonetta, etc. Playstation no longer has exclusive games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and KIngdom Hearts. If anyone has unique games, it's Nintendo, and is going to continue to be Nintendo because they're competing differently than their competitors. They're not afraid to not put "mature"-rated games. They're not in some arms-race with their competitors to see which one of their consoles can run the same game slightly better. I mean the reason you own a Wii U is cuz it has unique games. Who in their right minds would get a PS4/Xbox One as a secondary console when they already have one of those? So they can play like 3 extra games a year? And I'd still like to see how cloud based services can make games unique. So far, the only thing I know it can do is store and stream games. No one's mentioned or shown anything else. The only other thing I see it being useful for so far is making flexy-phones.