Troubleshooting needed: Why won't my Wii U play Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

#1lolman7712Posted 10/19/2013 8:24:49 AM
So, there I was putting in my 5-year-old copy of Brawl into my Wii U. I play a match, it all goes swell, and next thing I knew the game stopped, with the "Disc can not be read" error displaying.

I am confused as to why. For one, my Wii from 2008 has no trouble at all playing Brawl for as long as I want it too. You'd think the Wii U would be able to handle it, but this has been troubling me for some time. It hasn't happened with any other Wii or Wii U game I own either. My disc is devoid of any serious scratches, though there are some lines here and there. As well, I let the intro play and even that wouldn't play all the way.

What I'm asking for, is if anyone can assist me in solving this? Any and all assistance and answers are appreciated. I will supply any necessary details when prompted.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#2DrSouljaBoi69Posted 10/19/2013 8:25:37 AM
Brawl is hard for some Wiis to read because it's one of the few dual layered games and Nintendo put in a cheap diode that gets dirty and can't read well easily. So maybe the same thing on the Wii U
#3lolman7712(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 9:23:43 AM
That may be possible. However, as mentioned above my Wii still plays Brawl perfectly fine, so I''m not too sure it's that. Every other game works fine except Brawl.
---
"I like to picture arguments on GameFAQs as territorial chimpanzee battles... in suits. Suits make everything funny." - Nights85
#4DTY3Posted 10/19/2013 9:27:47 AM
Can't tell you. My situation is the opposite. Works great on Wii U, won't even boot on Wii.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#5lolman7712(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2013 9:47:04 AM
What a conundrum this is. Perhaps I should buy another copy then and see if that works out. Otherwise...well, damn. I actually prefer the situation opposite mine right now.
---
#6huyiPosted 10/19/2013 10:08:28 PM
before you buy another copy, why don't you get your current copy professionally cleaned? dvds are fussy with scratches, even a hairline scratch can cause problems.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD7750 8GB RAM 2TB HDD DLC THE GAME http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ
#7Thunderbird8Posted 10/19/2013 11:24:28 PM
lolman7712 posted...
That may be possible. However, as mentioned above my Wii still plays Brawl perfectly fine, so I''m not too sure it's that. Every other game works fine except Brawl.

Brawl is one of SIX dual layer disc games for the Wii. Have you tried any of the other 5? The others are:

Metroid: Other M
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Samurai Warriors 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Disney Infinity

If you've tried any of these and don't get the same problems as you do with Brawl, then it's probably a disc problem. If you don't have any of the others, then I'd go with cleaning the Brawl disc first before trying anything else.

I had some issues with Brawl at one point on my launch Wii (note: This was before any of the other dual layer games were released), but that wasn't disc read errors, instead the game was prone to crashing occasionally. I used the official disc cleaning kit and the problems went away. Don't know if it should be used with the Wii U though.