What is the average score for games? (And other interesting statistics)

#11googlerPosted 10/21/2013 12:27:27 AM
Lol...how did I know this was going to be about reassurance for a U exclusive getting a bad score?
#12squatch22Posted 10/21/2013 12:32:53 AM
Jobocan posted...
star_guy_100 posted...
that seems reasonable. anyone who thinks 5/10 is average doesnt understand the scaling that has happened to game scores over a decade.

"Average" in the case of 5/10 doesn't mean the average scores of games, it's just that the game doesn't really do anything remarkably good, but nothing remarkably bad.

Basically, this is how it should work if people weren't complete ****ing idiots:

1 = unplayable
2 = really bad
3 = bad
4 = unless you're a BIG fan or the series, it's not worth playing
5 = average, indulge only if you're a fan of the series
6 = good, but there exists better
7 = very good
8 = great
9 = amazing (very few games deserve such a high score, this should be reserved to the strongest games ever)
10 = no one in existence can deny this game's awesomeness (see: there doesn't exist a single game ever that deserves a 10)

The problem is that people now are unable to think so now it looks something like that:

1-7 = horrible
8 = kinda bad
9 = crap
10= sort of good

Very true.
---
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi. RIP Tom Clancy.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#13_Falstaff(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2013 12:37:46 AM
googler posted...
Lol...how did I know this was going to be about reassurance for a U exclusive getting a bad score?

Is it? Lost World has scored in the bottom 25% of all games with 10 or more reviews. I must really suck at these reassurance topics. That or you have a strange definition of "reassurance," likely one that changes to fit whatever topic you find yourself in.

Personally, I'd probably guess the latter.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#14bartz90Posted 10/21/2013 12:42:55 AM
Jobocan posted...
star_guy_100 posted...
that seems reasonable. anyone who thinks 5/10 is average doesnt understand the scaling that has happened to game scores over a decade.

"Average" in the case of 5/10 doesn't mean the average scores of games, it's just that the game doesn't really do anything remarkably good, but nothing remarkably bad.

Basically, this is how it should work if people weren't complete ****ing idiots:

1 = unplayable
2 = really bad
3 = bad
4 = unless you're a BIG fan or the series, it's not worth playing
5 = average, indulge only if you're a fan of the series
6 = good, but there exists better
7 = very good
8 = great
9 = amazing (very few games deserve such a high score, this should be reserved to the strongest games ever)
10 = no one in existence can deny this game's awesomeness (see: there doesn't exist a single game ever that deserves a 10)

The problem is that people now are unable to think so now it looks something like that:

1-7 = horrible
8 = kinda bad
9 = crap
10= sort of good

If a game is average, or 5, I don't see why only a fan should indulge. An average is a game that isn't "bad", but it's not remarkable in any way either. Just a game to play that won't wow you, but you won't say "I wasted money/time on this" either.

Otherwise I agree. Today the 7 is viewed the way that a 5 should be.
---
-
#15Muljo StphoPosted 10/21/2013 1:15:09 AM
I don't think I've seen the argument that 5/10 IS "average". The argument is that ideally 5/10 ought to be "average". Make use of the full range of the scale and make a REALLY good case for just how above or below average a score you give. (Done right, I'd imagine that scores outside the range of 3-7 would be kind of uncommon. Start at 5, add a bit for each positive point and subtract a bit for each negative point. (And they'd better be really good reasons either way.) A game would have to do A LOT right to get a really high score and it would have to do A LOT wrong to get a really low score.)

And despite whatever the statistical truth of the matter might be, the popular practices of professional reviewers and the popular perception of gamers that care so much what those review scores turn out to be would be to treat 8/10 or higher as "average". It doesn't take much for a game to score really high, and every little thing it gets wrong counts against it very strongly. And some people go so far as to act as if anything that scores lower than a 9/10 is just absolute shovelware trash unworthy of being called a game.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby