Why the Wii U is really not selling?

#1usaamahlinkPosted 10/20/2013 6:29:35 AM
It has nothing to do with games, people who know about Nintendo games are either waiting for Smash etc, or already have a Wii U. No doubt some people will pick up Wii U's for the holiday season, but the real issue here is Nintendo's message to retailers, and then general misinformation (It's just a Wii, but with a tablet). We've seen confusion in the mass media, as well as in general public, but where this issue really starts to become a crisis is at the level where retailers are so disinterested in the Wii U they don't bother educating their employees, and their own employees further amplify the misinformation epidemic, and instead of trying to push Wii U sales and hype at a retail level, interest in the system from consumers is being diverted to the PS4 and Xbox ONE. It's a very unfortunate situation, but that's how I see it right now...

I had been hoping for Nintendo to gain mainstream appeal, enough that games like NHL and Battlefront would make appearances on a Nintendo console... because then I would be completely satisfied with one console. I love my Smash Bros, etc. But I also do like NHL and a few other games from other developers. With Nintendo being shunned, I obviously don't see this one console dream becoming a reality.. so I'll probably only have a Wii U, minus some great third party games... Or I'll have consoles, which honestly I would love, except that it's not very practical. Cost wise, time wise etc. Mostly in terms of time, I don't have all the time to play that I used to have when I was a kid, unfortunately :(
---
Currently playing: Just Xenoblade Chronicles. Game is fantastic.
#2The_RamiPosted 10/20/2013 6:34:55 AM
I don't think people are that dumb. Maybe this was the case when it came out, but a year later? No. If people cared enough about the Wii U they'd find out what it is.
---
3DS FC: 4227-1401-7915
Currently playing: GTA V, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Super Mario 3D Land, Rayman Origins, Batman AA, Beyond: Two Souls, LOZ; ALTTP
#3DarkAdonis123Posted 10/20/2013 6:49:34 AM(edited)
The top three reasons I've seen are:

-The current game line up isn't very appealing

-The hardware is underpowered and overpriced

-Third party games they like keep skipping the Wii U
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#4fhsfootball74Posted 10/20/2013 6:37:34 AM
There was an uptick in sales for the Zelda remake and also the price cut. I'm waiting to see how Mario 3D world does for the holidays, if it doesn't perform then people should worry.
---
Blue Jackets, Columbus Crew, Reds, Bengals, Buckeyes
PSN-Fhsfootball74 NNID- returnoftheryan
#5fusionsamuraiPosted 10/20/2013 6:46:33 AM
Terrible name

Not enough advertising

They lost their casual market
---
After my 3DS broke, I have now decided to leave gaming.
I will game again if there is an extremely good reason to start. (Such as Mother 3 localization)
#6uneedtowakeupPosted 10/20/2013 7:55:55 AM
Crappy console, crappy marketing and crappy games.

I mean its just a DS hidden in a console...nothing new nor exciting.

The marketing and E3 was just terrible as well.

and launch titles were average.
#7JobocanPosted 10/20/2013 8:00:17 AM
There's a few issues:

- Crashing console-gaming market and AA-AAA budget market.
- People don't buy B-A budget games enough.
- Somewhat lacking library (this is becoming less and less true... by the end of next year this will be outright false and a very stupid thing to say).
- People are idiots.

I wonder how surprised people will be when the Xbox One and PS4 both also fail to sell well just like the Wii U.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#8AvirosbPosted 10/20/2013 8:02:51 AM
uneedtowakeup posted...
Crappy console, crappy marketing and crappy games.

I mean its just a DS hidden in a console...nothing new nor exciting.

The marketing and E3 was just terrible as well.

and launch titles were average.

[ '] [ ']
-___-
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#9Baha05Posted 10/20/2013 8:04:38 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
The top three reasons I've seen are:

-The current game line up isn't very appealing

-The hardware is underpowered and overpriced

-Third party games they like keep skipping the Wii U

I would replace tech with advertisement really, it's not expensive at all and unless gamers somehow became stupid over the generations, we have yet to see this systems full capabilities. Sure it won't reach PS4/X1 levels but it'll surpass the 360/PS3.

Also I think I account Gen 8 as a whole to be an issue considering the 3DS, the Vita, the Wii U have all suffered bad launches.
---
"the problem is you won't know that when the year is up. so you can't exactly cancel it until it's too late." Someone without a calender
#10DealerofTruthsPosted 10/20/2013 8:08:18 AM
fusionsamurai posted...
Terrible name

Not enough advertising

They lost their casual market

This seems the most logical. I honestly do not think I have seen a single add for the console or games on t.v., where the wii had 20 a day.
---
You just got told the TRUTH!!!