Questions about the WiiU.

#1khardboredPosted 10/20/2013 8:57:53 AM
So, my wife wanted to stop by Walmart to pick up another bookshelf. While she was checking them out, my son and I hit up the game section, of course. They had a WiiU demo station up and I have to say, I was blown away. My son and I played some Rayman and I was really impressed. The image clarity and art style was just top notch.

Anyway, I haven't played anything Nintendo since my SNES. I am curious if the WiiU offers a back-catalog, similar to what the Wii had? I'll admit, I don't even know much about that service. But I was told that I can download games such as FF3, Earthbound, Super Metroid even! Is this true? If so, I am so going to be picking this up.

Also, after playing Rayman, do most games have the same clarity? I couldn't get over just how clear and crisp everything looked.
---
if (instr(buf,sys_errlist[errno])) /* you don't see this */
#2BoomerTheGreatPosted 10/20/2013 9:20:48 AM
khardbored posted...
So, my wife wanted to stop by Walmart to pick up another bookshelf. While she was checking them out, my son and I hit up the game section, of course. They had a WiiU demo station up and I have to say, I was blown away. My son and I played some Rayman and I was really impressed. The image clarity and art style was just top notch.

Anyway, I haven't played anything Nintendo since my SNES. I am curious if the WiiU offers a back-catalog, similar to what the Wii had? I'll admit, I don't even know much about that service. But I was told that I can download games such as FF3, Earthbound, Super Metroid even! Is this true? If so, I am so going to be picking this up.

Also, after playing Rayman, do most games have the same clarity? I couldn't get over just how clear and crisp everything looked.

The WiiU Vc has those games you mentioned and you can buy Wii VC games. As for visuals a lot of the first party games have good visuals like that especially the upcoming games like Mario 3d world. Its a great system its just a lot of people write it off because they had 360 or PS3 last gen.
---
Greatness comes from within
#3Prince ShondronaiPosted 10/20/2013 9:22:00 AM
The Wii U is slowly building up a library of games on its own "Virtual Console" service, but the whole library of games that were available through the Wii's Virtual Console are also available on the Wii U through "Wii Mode."

It's a bit confusing, but the Wii U's Virtual Console and the Wii's work slightly differently in terms of which controllers you can use. When you purchase a Virtual Console game through the Wii U while it's in Wii Mode, you need to use a Wii Remote (with or without a Classic Controller). The games can still be displayed on the Wii U Gamepad screen, though. Just not controlled with the gamepad's buttons and analog sticks.

When you purchase a Virtual Console game on the Wii U's newer online "eShop" (which has the smaller selection right now), it can be played on the gamepad with no additional controllers needed.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#4desert_santaPosted 10/20/2013 9:28:04 AM
I don't know much about what you can download digitally on the wii u. However I do know it's backwards compatible and can play wii games.
#5khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:26:11 PM
Thanks everyone, good information to have!

I may be getting rid of the PS3 to pick this up and I am curious what you think I would get from GS for the following:
PS3 250, Super Slim (Drakes Edition)
27 games.
1 controller - 1 Earforce P21 headset
Games range from Diablo 3, GTA 5 to The Walking Dead and Disney Universe.
I live in a very small town so selling it as a whole or even game by game isn't all that feasable.
---
#6Snow-DustPosted 10/20/2013 8:34:20 PM
khardbored posted...
Thanks everyone, good information to have!

I may be getting rid of the PS3 to pick this up and I am curious what you think I would get from GS for the following:
PS3 250, Super Slim (Drakes Edition)
27 games.
1 controller - 1 Earforce P21 headset
Games range from Diablo 3, GTA 5 to The Walking Dead and Disney Universe.
I live in a very small town so selling it as a whole or even game by game isn't all that feasable.

You're better off selling the games and console on ebay. GS will probably give you 5$ for those games
#7khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 8:51:40 PM
I did have very good luck with GS in the past. I traded a 250G 360 with about 40 games for nearly $500 in-store. I still have the receipt for that one.
---
#8tuna-eggPosted 10/20/2013 9:17:52 PM
Please get a Wii U only if you will be content playing old (VC) games and 90% first-party (Nintendo) games. Meaning lots of Mario, Mario, and more Mario and friends.

I just can't recommend you selling your PS3 with all those great games. Diablo IV or GTA VI have little to zero chance of coming to Wii U. If you feel like you're through playing those titles and don't care to play their sequels, then I might recommend you to get a Wii U. Or if you plan to pick up a PS4 in the future.

Best scenario is to keep the PS3 and buy a Wii U.
#9Motobug321Posted 10/20/2013 9:21:56 PM
Wait- you say you haven't played Nintendo since the SNES? Dude, you've been missing out! I'll give you some of my top recommendations.

Some great Wii games are:
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Super Paper Mario
-Donkey Kong Country Returns
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
-Metroid Prime Trilogy (pricey, but still worth picking up)
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-Kirby's Epic Yarn
-PokÚpark Wii
-PokÚpark 2: Wonders Beyond
-Sonic Colors
-Okami

Some great Wii U games are:
-New Super Mario Bros. U
-Pikmin 3
-The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
-The Wonderful 101
-Rayman Legends
-Sonic Lost World (coming soon)
-Super Mario 3D World (coming soon)
-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (coming soon)

So yeah, there are A LOT of games to choose from, and I'm sure I'm even forgetting some. Oh, and sorry for the long lists, I just wanted to tell you some of the great games worth considering!
#10khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 9:37:52 PM
tuna-egg posted...
Please get a Wii U only if you will be content playing old (VC) games and 90% first-party (Nintendo) games. Meaning lots of Mario, Mario, and more Mario and friends.

I just can't recommend you selling your PS3 with all those great games. Diablo IV or GTA VI have little to zero chance of coming to Wii U. If you feel like you're through playing those titles and don't care to play their sequels, then I might recommend you to get a Wii U. Or if you plan to pick up a PS4 in the future.

Best scenario is to keep the PS3 and buy a Wii U.

Thank you for the advice! I am not sure if I mentioned it in my OP but this will also be for my son. I know it won't do GTA 5 and D3, I am not too concerned about that. I have an Xbox One paid off as well as a few games paid off. So my next-gen cravings will be filled. This is going to more for all the Nintendo exclusives I have missed out on as Motobug mentioned.

@ Motobug: Everything you listed is making me drool. I'm not a fan of Pokemon so I'll pass on those unless my son shows some interest. He is only 6 at the moment so :P
---