So gamestop tells me skylanders swap force wii won't work on wii u?

#1BTM4444Posted 10/20/2013 1:24:10 PM
So I bought skylanders swap force wii for my brother when it came out. I planned on getting a wii u for him this Christmas and figured it wouldn't matter since the wii u plays all wii games, and he wanted swap force now

Now I go to gamestop and they tell me swap force wii won't work on the wii u because of the portal? I don't understand? Isn't it the same portal and same guys and the portal plugs into the USB port into the back of the wii u?
#2ShiNoBinnPosted 10/20/2013 1:30:02 PM
Just get it anyways, if it doesnt work, return the game, keep your receipt
---
"Look upon me....do you see how pathetic you are!? Only a chosen few have the power to face me on this level!.."
#3BTM4444(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 1:37:08 PM
ShiNoBinn posted...
Just get it anyways, if it doesnt work, return the game, keep your receipt

I can't do that because I'm not buying a wii u unless I know it works cause I'm not buying it twice
#4KingBeetlePosted 10/20/2013 1:59:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5QlJGamerPosted 10/20/2013 2:42:14 PM
buy Skylanders swap force Wii U version maybe?
---
Quite Intelligent Judging!
#6PlaysaverPosted 10/20/2013 2:52:38 PM
I suppose the real question could be "Has anyone gotten any wii version of Skylanders to work on a Wii U?".
Considering that a Wii only has 2 usb ports to plug in a portal and the Wii U has 4, it might be you have to figure out which of 2 of the 4 ports is for Wii only.
I know you'd have to use a wiimote (and what other device you use to play that on a wii) to play the game on a wii U still.
#7BTM4444(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 3:14:06 PM
Playsaver posted...
I suppose the real question could be "Has anyone gotten any wii version of Skylanders to work on a Wii U?".
Considering that a Wii only has 2 usb ports to plug in a portal and the Wii U has 4, it might be you have to figure out which of 2 of the 4 ports is for Wii only.
I know you'd have to use a wiimote (and what other device you use to play that on a wii) to play the game on a wii U still.

Yea I just don't understand cause its all USB right? How could it not be compatible?
#8lightningbugxPosted 10/20/2013 3:59:31 PM
If you plan on getting him a Wii U, make him wait. It is not about compatibility. It is more or less, the Wii U version will be a better option all around.
#9blinkfreakPosted 10/20/2013 4:16:13 PM
Maybe Wii mode can't access USB devices?
#10Thunderbird8Posted 10/20/2013 6:43:34 PM
Wii had USB ports, and the Wii U allows Wii mode to use a wired connection (which requires a USB adapter), so Wii mode has the same access to USB devices as the Wii U mode does.

I've also had the ethernet adapter plugged into both the rear ports (where it currently is) and the front ports, and have never had a problem in Wii mode in either position. So even though the Wii only had 2 USB ports, the fact that the Wii U has 4 doesn't make a difference to it, probably because of how USB actually works.