Why do you want Nintendo to drop out of the console race?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do you want Nintendo to drop out of the console race?
2 years ago#21
Izec posted...

- Third-party support.
MS even succeeded at this as way back as last generation.

Third party support? Xbox? Were you living in a cave?
2 years ago#22
Izec posted...
Because it's 2013 and Nintendo's consoles still don't come with:

- An ethernet port.
- Reasonable hard drive storage.
- Convenient digital rights management.
- Third-party support.

Both Sony and Microsoft succeed at the above, while providing more powerful consoles at that. Sony/MS even succeeded at this as way back as last generation. Plus Nintendo's the only console developer that still universally region locks games.

All things considered, the Wii U is overpriced for how cheap it's parts are, especially relative to the PS4. The only advantages to the Wii U compared to the PS4 are the facts that it's $100 cheaper and has free online multiplayer (but accompanied with a weak online account system).

The main things people buy Nintendo consoles for are the great first-party exclusives, and those would be available to more people if they went multi-platform. Nintendo does not need to be a console developer to make amazing games. Their handhelds are perfectly fine though.

Apple doesn't put an Ethernet port in their computers, are they behind? People whining about this need to get with the times. It's 2013, a lot of homes don't have working Ethernet jacks around the home for convenient use, because it's so much easier to go wireless from your box. If you aren't one of those people, Sony and Microsoft are there for you. And there is a dongle

Console digital games haven't even come close to the level of usage other digital media has. So there are a substantial number of people who have no use for a hard drive, because they'd rather just use physical copies. Nintendo is saving people like that money by not including it in the device cost. If you want a big hard drive for the Wii U, get an external one. They aren't expensive at all.

3rd party support sucks on the Wii U, but it was good on the Wii. People just ignored games like Big Brain Academy because they decided they weren't part of the "everyone" label casual games are aimed at. And for young children, which is still a serious market, Nintendo nearly gets exclusive 3rd party access.
---
Any sig ideas?
2 years ago#23
Golden Maven posted...
Nintendo investors might have something to say about Nintendo "taking their IPs to the grave" if the systems fail.

Exactly. It's easy for Nintendo to say "we'll take our games to the grave! :)" while they're an extremely successful console developer with no debt.

But if their financial situation drastically changed and they ended up needing money to sustain the company, they would undoubtedly either go third-party or sell their IPs for amazing profit. That's business.

quickposter posted...
Third party support? Xbox? Were you living in a cave?

The Xbox 360 had the most third-party support last gen, meaning it competed just fine with the Wii. And it had far more indies than even the PS3.

iKhan88 posted...
Apple doesn't put an Ethernet port in their computers, are they behind?

It's a known fact that Apple's computers are overpriced and inferior, in both power and compatibility. They are the Xbox One of PCs.

iKhan88 posted...
People whining about this need to get with the times. It's 2013, a lot of homes don't have working Ethernet jacks around the home for convenient use, because it's so much easier to go wireless from your box.

When WiFi is as fast and reliable as ethernet you can give me the "get with the times" criticism, otherwise it's bunk. The one who's speaking in favor of the greatest service is generally the one who's "with the times".

And also, your "a lot of homes lack (X)" point backfires in this scenario. Many homes are also incapable of WiFi because they lack a router/hotspot/etc. With Sony and MS consoles, you have the choice of using either ethernet or WiFi to suit your needs. On Nintendo's consoles, you're just stuck.

Yes there is a dongle that you have to pay extra for and use up one of your USB (2.0, instead of faster 3.0) ports for, but it will not perform quite as well as a built-in jack would've.

iKhan88 posted...
Console digital games haven't even come close to the level of usage other digital media has. So there are a substantial number of people who have no use for a hard drive, because they'd rather just use physical copies. Nintendo is saving people like that money by not including it in the device cost.

Yet they jack up the price with a tabletpad even less people care for. >_>

And if you buy a say 320 GB external hard drive (and remember, external generally performs worse than built-in) along with your Wii U, the overall price for the consumer almost reaches the PS4's, despite all the rest of the Wii U's hardware being drastically cheaper than PS4's.

Which highlights my point that the Wii U was relatively overpriced in the first place. Basically, I'm saying Nintendo could've afforded to sell the Wii U at the exact same price with reasonable storage. It's just that Nintendo refuses to put their all into their consoles, and that's a good reason why one would want them to bow out of the race.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
2 years ago#24
BlueInfinity posted...
People are just ignorant. They get pleasure from superiority feelings against others.

They derive the happies from attacking others on the internet about things they like that they don't.

It's human nature at its worst, essentially.

This, except for the "it's human nature at its worst" Contrary to popular belief, humans are not evil, competitive, or belligerent by nature/design. Those traits are nurtured and reinforced by the environment humans live in (society).

This popular, but false belief, is similar to the "humans only use 20% of their brain capacity". People, widely, believe it to he true.
2 years ago#25
Pac12345 posted...
BlueInfinity posted...
People are just ignorant. They get pleasure from superiority feelings against others.

They derive the happies from attacking others on the internet about things they like that they don't.

It's human nature at its worst, essentially.

This, except for the "it's human nature at its worst" Contrary to popular belief, humans are not evil, competitive, or belligerent by nature/design. Those traits are nurtured and reinforced by the environment humans live in (society).

This popular, but false belief, is similar to the "humans only use 20% of their brain capacity". People, widely, believe it to he true.

I don't think people are violent, but the problem with internet, especially these boards, is that you face no punishment if you are violent, and giving people the choice tends to cause chaos
---
Currently Watching:
St. Elsewhere, Days of Our Lives, Full House
2 years ago#26
Because Nintendo doesn't seem to care about their console.

There is far more focus on the 3DS than there is the Wii-U. Ever since the DS it seems Nintendo's primary focus is their handhelds.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
2 years ago#27
AwayFromHere posted...
Because Nintendo doesn't seem to care about their console.

There is far more focus on the 3DS than there is the Wii-U. Ever since the DS it seems Nintendo's primary focus is their handhelds.

Nintendo does it's best when their is little to no competition, ironically, they're best bet seems to be going with third parties

a third party has no choice to go Nintendo if they decide handheld (PSP as well, but not so much)

same as back then, Sega had some third parties, but Nintendo had the lion's share making games for them

now third parties are split between Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo on the console market, so they have to go with Sony and Microsoft, since they have the money and are easier to work for

Nintendo's first party games has IMO never really faltered, they're third party support however has been going up and down since the arrival of the Playstation, especially with the PS2
---
Currently Watching:
St. Elsewhere, Days of Our Lives, Full House
2 years ago#28
I don't want them to drop out the console race. I want them to get with the freaking program already. The Wii U is behind the times, and I'm not even talking about hardware power.

-Online suite is abysmal. Lacking any kind of party chat.

-Shipped without an account system. If not for that debacle with the guy who lost $400 worth of content, one still wouldn't be on the way.

-There's no option to install games to expedite load times for games like Lego City Undercover.

This "next gen" console is missing things that became standard in the seventh gen. So again, I don't want them to drop out the console race. I want them to quit sitting in their hands and make this one competitive.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
2 years ago#29
Izec posted...
Golden Maven posted...
Nintendo investors might have something to say about Nintendo "taking their IPs to the grave" if the systems fail.

Exactly. It's easy for Nintendo to say "we'll take our games to the grave! :)" while they're an extremely successful console developer with no debt.

But if their financial situation drastically changed and they ended up needing money to sustain the company, they would undoubtedly either go third-party or sell their IPs for amazing profit. That's business.

iKhan88 posted...
Apple doesn't put an Ethernet port in their computers, are they behind?

It's a known fact that Apple's computers are overpriced and inferior, in both power and compatibility. They are the Xbox One of PCs.

iKhan88 posted...
People whining about this need to get with the times. It's 2013, a lot of homes don't have working Ethernet jacks around the home for convenient use, because it's so much easier to go wireless from your box.

When WiFi is as fast and reliable as ethernet you can give me the "get with the times" criticism, otherwise it's bunk. The one who's speaking in favor of the greatest service is generally the one who's "with the times".

And also, your "a lot of homes lack (X)" point backfires in this scenario. Many homes are also incapable of WiFi because they lack a router/hotspot/etc. With Sony and MS consoles, you have the choice of using either ethernet or WiFi to suit your needs. On Nintendo's consoles, you're just stuck.

Yes there is a dongle that you have to pay extra for and use up one of your USB (2.0, instead of faster 3.0) ports for, but it will not perform quite as well as a built-in jack would've.

iKhan88 posted...
Console digital games haven't even come close to the level of usage other digital media has. So there are a substantial number of people who have no use for a hard drive, because they'd rather just use physical copies. Nintendo is saving people like that money by not including it in the device cost.

Yet they jack up the price with a tabletpad even less people care for. >_>

And if you buy a say 320 GB external hard drive (and remember, external generally performs worse than built-in) along with your Wii U, the overall price for the consumer almost reaches the PS4's, despite all the rest of the Wii U's hardware being drastically cheaper than PS4's.

Which highlights my point that the Wii U was relatively overpriced in the first place. Basically, I'm saying Nintendo could've afforded to sell the Wii U at the exact same price with reasonable storage. It's just that Nintendo refuses to put their all into their consoles, and that's a good reason why one would want them to bow out of the race.

Your missing the point. Apple cut out Ethernet from certain computers to make it more compact, because they knew there was a market that didn't need Ethernet anymore.

I made a topic about this a while ago. What a device includes in its cost depends on the market they are trying to target. Nintendo is targeting the audience that wants a gamepad. What I'm saying is that there is also a large audience that doesn't need an HDD or Ethernet port, so it makes sense for a console not to include them to appeal to that market. Peripherals are for people who want combinations of features not all included I one device. That's what SmartGlass and Vita do for Sony and Microsoft, and that's what dongles and external drives do for Nintendo.
---
Any sig ideas?
2 years ago#30
Izec posted...
The Xbox 360 had the most third-party support last gen, meaning it competed just fine with the Wii. And it had far more indies than even the PS3.

Ahh I thought you were talking about the PS2 gen. My mistake.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Why do you want Nintendo to drop out of the console race?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived