Have we reached the limits of sound?

#1segagamerPosted 10/20/2013 6:44:10 PM
There is always talk about better graphics and AI, but sound?

Can that even be improved noticeably? Or just more storage?
---
Wii U+Xbox One :)
#2ThatKippPosted 10/20/2013 6:53:53 PM
I think sound capabilities on game consoles hit the upper limit about 15 years ago. Nowadays consoles support expensive speaker systems like 7.1 surround sound and all that.
---
They call me Wonder-Handsome
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#3nbean16Posted 10/20/2013 8:49:24 PM
ThatKipp posted...
I think sound capabilities on game consoles hit the upper limit about 15 years ago. Nowadays consoles support expensive speaker systems like 7.1 surround sound and all that.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Not until the use of blu rays have consoles been able to put out uncompressed audio which makes a huge difference. And over the last few years sound editing and effects have drastically improved. It can always get better however.
#4DBPanterAPosted 10/20/2013 10:35:25 PM
My only wish is that I wish I could play a game on the TV and have the sound come through on headphones attached to the gamepad. When you flip the game to the gamepad it works, but not for simply playing on the TV. There are a few that do, I just wish is was universal.....
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#5Skill4ReelPosted 10/20/2013 10:38:27 PM
I ask this question all of the time. Especially in games like BF4 (just played the beta a week ago) where I'm just as disappointed in the sound so far as I was with it in BF3. It's not that the sound effects in the game aren't very realistic, and they are. The problem is that I don't feel like in real time (especially in multiplayer matches) that I can hear everything that I need to hear, when I need to hear it.

Certain sounds unrealistically drown others out, while threats that are right next to your character don't make any noise at all. One thing that I've noticed since I've started playing BF3, which seems to be the same in BF4 is that you only hear sound from the direction of objects that you can see. This isn't realistic at all.

There are so many times when a tank or some other type of vehicle will pull up near me in a multiplayer match, and because I'm not looking in it's direction. I will never know it's there until it kills me. I'm using Battlefield as an example because the game is leading the industry in sound design, and has won several industry awards for it. Only to me, it and overall sound awareness in games like this still has a long way to go.
#6nbean16Posted 10/20/2013 11:34:13 PM
Skill4Reel posted...
I ask this question all of the time. Especially in games like BF4 (just played the beta a week ago) where I'm just as disappointed in the sound so far as I was with it in BF3. It's not that the sound effects in the game aren't very realistic, and they are. The problem is that I don't feel like in real time (especially in multiplayer matches) that I can hear everything that I need to hear, when I need to hear it.

Certain sounds unrealistically drown others out, while threats that are right next to your character don't make any noise at all. One thing that I've noticed since I've started playing BF3, which seems to be the same in BF4 is that you only hear sound from the direction of objects that you can see. This isn't realistic at all.

There are so many times when a tank or some other type of vehicle will pull up near me in a multiplayer match, and because I'm not looking in it's direction. I will never know it's there until it kills me. I'm using Battlefield as an example because the game is leading the industry in sound design, and has won several industry awards for it. Only to me, it and overall sound awareness in games like this still has a long way to go.

Are you using surround sound?
#7neversayeverPosted 10/20/2013 11:46:53 PM
Lol " you clearly have no idea what youre talking about" on a topic about sound. You people crack me up. Optical is the best i have heard so far. Can there be something better? There already is, just like everything else, just our broke arses cant afford and couldnt get it even if we could.
#8Skill4ReelPosted 10/21/2013 12:01:33 AM(edited)
Edit: reply to nbean16
^^^ I mostly play with 7.1 surround headphones, which I know don't give the same effect as being between actual speakers. The flaws unfortunately are in the game engine. Test it out yourself by playing a multiplayer match in BF3 where there is a lot of noise going on. Stand in one spot and pivot your character around in a circle. Notice how certain sounds get quieter to pretty much silent as your character turns away from them. That never happens in real life.
#9darkjedilinkPosted 10/21/2013 12:50:12 AM
I bought a 12.3 surround sound system five years ago. Not even PC is able to drive all that.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#10Waggy17Posted 10/21/2013 3:45:44 AM
DBPanterA posted...
My only wish is that I wish I could play a game on the TV and have the sound come through on headphones attached to the gamepad. When you flip the game to the gamepad it works, but not for simply playing on the TV. There are a few that do, I just wish is was universal.....

Yeah, more developers need to include different options regarding headphone output on the GamePad. There are way too many different implementations of sound that way, and it can make it confusing.

I remember Lego City Undercover not outputting sound correctly in the headphones, and I believe it had to do with the surround setting for the GamePad. I gave up trying to play that way.

Other games, like Black Ops II, will essentially mirror the sound from the TV to the headphones, and include voice chat in the headphones as well.
---
PSN/NNID - Waggy777
http://www.youtube.com/user/waggystg