Nintendo Has Ended Wii Production in Japan. So how....

#11iKhan88Posted 10/21/2013 1:12:32 PM
Nintendo stopped production of the Wii because they stopped supporting it with software. It's really that simple. Nintendo doesn't like to cannibalize it's own products, so it kills their old consoles when the new ones come out.

That's not to say the Wii isn't future proofed. If Nintendo had continued to make software for it, rather than abandoning it as soon as the Wii U was announced (which caused it's decline in sales), it would continue to sell because it was a fantastic device
---
Any sig ideas?
#12CranberryPSOPosted 10/21/2013 1:25:08 PM
I heard that recently the DS passed the PS2. Not a knock on the PS2 but a testament to just how popular the DS became. Definitely one of the finest handhelds in quite some time.

DBean posted...
The13Doctors posted...
As for this... comparing ANYTHING to the PS2, don't do it. One time anomaly.

Well, the DS certainly deserves mention even if it is a handheld. I think it's something like 156 million (PS2) to 154 million (DS).

---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 3
#13Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 10/21/2013 1:29:16 PM
s2good posted...
crucial posted...
If sales do not pick up way sooner then 2018,Wii sold over 100 million or close to it so with the Wii U at under 4 million after over a year does not look good at all and it will be even worse when Nintendo has 2 more consoles to compete with that are much more powerful with PS4 and X1 and since Wii U will not be getting most game's makes it even harder for it to compete,just let it die and start over in a few year's and come out with a power house console with a few AAA titles at launch is the only way it will survive next gen.

Even if Nintendo sees sense and cans the Wii U and put more effort into a new more powerful machine in a few years, it wont be next gen. It will be xbone PS4 gen.

No, it will still be 9th gen. Power does not define what generation a console is, line of succession does. N64 was 5th gen, along with the Ps1 and Saturn. GC was 6th and the Wii was 7th. So for better or worse, the Wii U is 8th gen.

Ergo, it's successor will be 9th gen regardless of whether it is 10% more powerful than the Ps4 or 10x.
---
..."go put on your favorite lingerie and streak in your public library while yelling about how sexy you'd look as a dolphin." - Ghasts
#14SS4_NamreppivPosted 10/21/2013 2:37:43 PM
segagamer posted...
The13Doctors posted...
You must be new here. Standard is 4 years, last gen overstayed it's welcome as the other two only started profiting when it was supposed to end. Generations are not ten years.

As for this... comparing ANYTHING to the PS2, don't do it. One time anomaly.The Wii wasn't up to pace so they had to move on, Wii U is far more future proof. This generation however, will NOT last 10 years.

Nintendo has a 5 year guarantee/policy with their devices. They'll support it into 2018 at the least.

Xbox one and PS4 10 year plan guarantee.

Same with PS3 and Xbox 360...

Sad thing is, Sony and Microsoft HAVE to pull these extended generations just to make money to build new consoles to replace what is on the market.
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#15arvilinoPosted 10/21/2013 2:44:59 PM
iKhan88 posted...
Nintendo stopped production of the Wii because they stopped supporting it with software. It's really that simple. Nintendo doesn't like to cannibalize it's own products, so it kills their old consoles when the new ones come out.

That's not to say the Wii isn't future proofed. If Nintendo had continued to make software for it, rather than abandoning it as soon as the Wii U was announced (which caused it's decline in sales), it would continue to sell because it was a fantastic device

Technically Wii's are still in production in the form of the Wii-mini units.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#16NDowningPosted 10/22/2013 5:48:42 AM
Wii was released on November 19, 2006. Was nearly 7 years ago and as for the Wii U you can count on it being around for about that long as well.

Call of Duty: Ghosts is coming out next month for the Wii U and next year we will see the new smash brothers game too.

No need to stop production anytime soon.
#17MilesTeg420Posted 10/22/2013 5:56:25 AM
According to Nintendo's official numbers, somehow both the Wii and DS sold over two million in NA alone last year. I wouldn't expect them to stop production over here for at least another year.
#18Bahamut_10thPosted 10/22/2013 6:00:39 AM(edited)
DBean posted...
The13Doctors posted...

Well, the DS certainly deserves mention even if it is a handheld. I think it's something like 156 million (PS2) to 154 million (DS).

Those numbers are outdated. The DS surpassed the PS2 few months before it stopped being listed in the weekly sale thing.
---
Learn to report topics and posts: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/?cat=18
And stop flooding.
#19JackalPosted 10/22/2013 5:58:48 AM
I remember that I joked about Nintendo doing this not too long ago as a way for Nintendo to get people to notice the Wii U. I should work in their marketing department! :)
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#20smash66Posted 10/22/2013 6:03:14 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
DBean posted...
The13Doctors posted...

Those numbers are outdated. The DS surpassed the PS2 few months before it stopped being listed in the weekly sale thing.

Lol. Proof?