Lazy people: stop whining about Nintendo's YouTube policy

#11manmousePosted 10/23/2013 12:56:54 AM
bh7812 posted...
Quote:I honestly can't believe people are still whining about this. If you use NINTENDO's footage footage in your video, Nintendo is 100% entitled to the ad revenue for that video.

You can record Nintendo footage and share it all you want. That's perfectly fine. But what makes YOU think that you're entitled to make money off of Nintendo's copyrighted property?

Sorry lazy people, time to find a real job.

@Fisto81

For once OP I agree with the stuff flyin out of your keyboard here. Just blows my mind these people think they should be able to make money off THEIR characters and games! What did they think? Nintendo would sit there and go "No problem, we don't mind!" No. It's called they're trying to protect tTHEIR property, the stuff THEY created. If I created a game, and these YouTube-ers tried to make a quick buck off my work you can bet your ass I'd be after them the way Nintendo is right now. I totally agree with Nintendo's actions on this. Not as a freakin fanboy or anything like that. As someone who understands you just don't do this kinda stuff with a company's IP and expect to get away with it.

should Gameinformer, EGM, Gamepro, PCGamer, etc, all not be allowed to make a profit, and deny paychecks to all their employees, since their magazines feature content owned by different game developers?

i mean i know Nintendo loyalists only read Nintendo power so they're used to their media being owned by the people they're reviewing, but for everyone else, it's relevant.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#12Craig--aPosted 10/23/2013 1:09:15 AM
manmouse posted...
bh7812 posted...
Quote:I honestly can't believe people are still whining about this. If you use NINTENDO's footage footage in your video, Nintendo is 100% entitled to the ad revenue for that video.

You can record Nintendo footage and share it all you want. That's perfectly fine. But what makes YOU think that you're entitled to make money off of Nintendo's copyrighted property?

@Fisto81

For once OP I agree with the stuff flyin out of your keyboard here. Just blows my mind these people think they should be able to make money off THEIR characters and games! What did they think? Nintendo would sit there and go "No problem, we don't mind!" No. It's called they're trying to protect tTHEIR property, the stuff THEY created. If I created a game, and these YouTube-ers tried to make a quick buck off my work you can bet your ass I'd be after them the way Nintendo is right now. I totally agree with Nintendo's actions on this. Not as a freakin fanboy or anything like that. As someone who understands you just don't do this kinda stuff with a company's IP and expect to get away with it.

should Gameinformer, EGM, Gamepro, PCGamer, etc, all not be allowed to make a profit, and deny paychecks to all their employees, since their magazines feature content owned by different game developers?

i mean i know Nintendo loyalists only read Nintendo power so they're used to their media being owned by the people they're reviewing, but for everyone else, it's relevant.

Dont you need permission to put something in print though? Similarly to how if I wanted to make a game and include footage of another game/film/whatever I would have to ask permission to do that first or they are entitled to tell me to stop it and take any profits I have made from their work.
---
You aren't the "official" anything of gamefaqs...
#13random_man9119Posted 10/23/2013 1:12:13 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#14manmousePosted 10/23/2013 1:18:30 AM
Craig--a posted...
manmouse posted...
bh7812 posted...

@Fisto81

Dont you need permission to put something in print though? Similarly to how if I wanted to make a game and include footage of another game/film/whatever I would have to ask permission to do that first or they are entitled to tell me to stop it and take any profits I have made from their work.

key point there.
Nintendo's policy is to take in 100% profits, not just profits proportional to how much money was made off their work in particular.

when they flagged the podcast with Jim Sterling last week, there was only one minute of Pokemon trailer footage (not even taken from the game, just playing a free advertisement for Nintendo) and the rest of the 3 hours were spent talking about other games and consoles and hardware and software and such. only maybe 1/180th (IE less than 1%) of the podcast belonged to Nintendo. but they took 100% for it.

much like if i make a movie and quote Thriller, i may have to pay a tiny royalty but the Jackson estate won't take every single person's paycheck and every single ticket and DVD and BluRay sale.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#15ImGanondorfLolPosted 10/23/2013 1:52:46 AM
bh7812 posted...

@Fisto81

The argument is that it's stupid of Nintendo because it benefited both them and the fans. It's not about Nintendo's right to do this, it's just that it's a dumb idea.

Income for the youtube user, giving them the incentive to make Nintendo related videos to continue advertising their products.

What does Nintendo get by taking the ad revenue? Nothing but chump change and bad rep.
#16aiyobroPosted 10/23/2013 2:01:47 AM
If you add to work I definitely think Nintendo only deserves royalties

Youtubers aren't adding/modifying work that THEY'RE ALLOWED TO.

It's copyrighted material... it's not public domain.

They aren't using it for personal use, they're being band wagoners and Nintendo doesn't give them permission to spoil the game like they do plus Nintendo isn't in charge of what they say in case kids see it, so if it gets deterred then good.

If you want to look at older games that aren't sold anymore and make money off that then that's fine.
#17BurgerTime79Posted 10/23/2013 2:16:16 AM
Ok, show of hands, how many of you who are complaining about Nintendo doing this making an income off of ad revenue from your Youtube videos?

*crickets*

Thought so.

Nintendo, and every single company out there, has every right to enforce their copyrights and how people are making money off of their property. If they don't want people putting ads on their "Let's Play" videos or information content pertaining to their franchises, they are allowed to do so. You can put ads on everything else to your hearts content as long as the companies aren't saying anything, but Nintendo simply doesn't want you to do that. Doesn't matter if you think it's dumb or not. That's an invalid and childish way of looking at a legal situation.

Knock off the whole "Fanboy" and "Loyalist" labels already too. All you're doing is throwing insults at people for not sharing your opinion. It basically null and voids the legitimacy of your entire argument.
And enough with the quote tree going with the first rude response of the topic. It's disruptive posting, and you're just going to get yourself modded.
---
Co-host of The Intellivisionaries Podcast
The answer to most questions in FFXIV: DO THE STORY QUESTS!!!
#18aiyobroPosted 10/23/2013 2:25:23 AM
People act like you can't talk about Nintendo or use Nintendo references and characters.

That's not the case at all.
#19StarBladeEdgePosted 10/23/2013 2:26:54 AM
Fisto81 posted...
I honestly can't believe people are still whining about this. If you use NINTENDO's footage footage in your video, Nintendo is 100% entitled to the ad revenue for that video.

---
Boujng !
#20PedrotacopacoPosted 10/23/2013 3:48:16 AM
Hey guess what? Nintendo isn't even taking the ad revenue anymore.