Ever let reviews influence your decision to buy a game or not?

#1nonexistingheroPosted 10/22/2013 5:31:37 PM
See title - Results (165 votes)
Yeah, all the time. I trust reviews.
10.91% (18 votes)
Yeah, but I did make a few bad purchases because of them.
20% (33 votes)
Not much, but I sometimes buy a bad game.
22.42% (37 votes)
Nope, if a game looks good to me, it's good. Always.
35.76% (59 votes)
Other (please state in post).
10.91% (18 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just wondering to see how much people are influenced. Anyhow, my decision to buy a game or not isn't influenced by reviews at all. If I think a game looks good, it's good to me. That's some kind of good game sense I've mastered over the years.

Anyhow, I'll be surprised if there aren't a lot of 1 or 2 votes, considering a lot of people are yelling how awful Sonic LW is based on reviews, without even playing it.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2userfrigginamePosted 10/22/2013 5:39:59 PM(edited)
Yeah, and it's sad. I remember when I was a kid, and I was completely oblivious to reviews. I feel like back then was when I enjoyed games most; when I didn't care what other ppl said. Now, I usually buy games that get at least an average review score of 9, disregarding some franchises that I always go for. But that limits the kinds of games I play, and usually the games I buy that are 9s have almost no replay value. Like I play the game thru once, and I don't bother picking it up again. I really shouldn't be so influenced by review scores, but that's just how I am now, I guess.
#3tuna-eggPosted 10/22/2013 5:40:55 PM
I trust reviews, but mostly metacritic ones. I look at the the high scores, middling scores, and poor scores. Then I look at Amazon user reviews. That usually gives me a good idea whether a game is good or not. I'd usually get an interesting-looking game if it has at least 70% on metacritic.

I'd still give Sonic Lost World a chance, though. The metacritic score is skewed lower because of the handful of very low scores.
#4JobocanPosted 10/22/2013 5:44:14 PM
tuna-egg posted...
I trust reviews, but mostly metacritic ones. I look at the the high scores, middling scores, and poor scores.

You only look at scores? You have no idea what you're doing, are you?
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#5usaamahlinkPosted 10/22/2013 5:44:46 PM
I don't really read reviews, but I am very selective in my choice of games to purchase, mostly because of time constraints. In the end my purchases almost always leave me satisfied to some degree or another. Some will be played once or twice, but will be remembered fondly for long after. Some will be played all the time, and will hardly ever feel boring, most often still intense and fun (Smash Bros, Strikers Charged, Age of Empires II, Halo Custom Edition online, NHL 12/13/14, and a few others. I'm still stuck on previous generations of games though, I need a 3DS and a Wii U sometime soon! (Smash Bros, X, MK8, SMT X FE, etc will be good)
---
Currently playing: Just Xenoblade Chronicles. Game is fantastic.
#6Soniv4Ever10Posted 10/22/2013 5:51:17 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Yeah, and it's sad. I remember when I was a kid, and I was completely oblivious to reviews. I feel like back then was when I enjoyed games most; when I didn't care what other ppl said. Now, I usually buy games that get at least an average review score of 9, disregarding some franchises that I always go for. But that limits the kinds of games I play, and usually the games I buy that are 9s have almost no replay value. Like I play the game thru once, and I don't bother picking it up again. I really shouldn't be so influenced by review scores, but that's just how I am now, I guess.

I was like that when I got a PS3. Most of the games I bought were hyped up AAA games that I ended up not even playing that much, some of them I didn't even bother to finish at all.

Once I actually started to read reviews instead of just glancing over them and looking at the score, I realized reviews are pretty much useless to me unless they warn about performance issues like frame rate.

I don't know what makes a reviewer "professional", but it definitely has nothing to do with their gaming skills or their ability to analyze a game.
---
Sakurai will literally die for SSB4 and when it comes out,fans will gather around his grave and grimly remark "Still not as good as Melee"
#7CubeTVPosted 10/22/2013 5:51:58 PM
Not really. Sonic 2006 is a PS3 system seller for me, Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite 3D Mario game (3D World is looking like it might take that spot), I do not care about the PS2 since pretty much any game I want, I can get for PS3 (HD collections) or GameCube.

If it's a impulse buy (something I never played or heard of before) then a little, actually. Tons of "quirky" games (Glover, Cel-Damage, Little Inferno, Scaler, Ty Tysmanian Tiger, Mystic Heroes and Freaky Flyers to name a few.) that are mixed and look weird are ones I look up reviews or "research" on to see if they're good.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#8PoppaKroganPosted 10/22/2013 5:52:30 PM
lol either people on this board are stupid or they're lying.
---
I knew we forgot someone...you.
#9nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 6:02:23 PM(edited)
userfrigginame posted...

If you don't want to be influenced as much by reviews, try deciding on whether a game is right for you or not, based on what you want out of a game. Watch some videos, ask some information about it on a board on this site (related to what you want out of a game), if still unsure, go a bit deeper before deciding.

Sonic LW is a game that kept me on-edge. I was skeptic at first, but was sure it would be a good game after some reviews (though nothing outstanding). It's a bit better than my expectations even. The moment I saw reviews contradicting the things I had seen in videos and read in previews, I knew they were just wrong.

For most games though, it usually only takes a single video with gameplay to show me if the game is good or not. If a developer only shows cutscenes it's a sign to me that it has horrible gameplay (logic indicates that if a developer is particularly proud on certain aspects of their game, it's something they bring forward in a trailer or early footage... and if there's no gameplay, it means they don't care about it).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10mashuPosted 10/22/2013 6:11:30 PM
Other.

Reviews play a role, but are not the primary means by which I decide. Genre, of course, and then I check out images and pre-release info to see if the game looks interesting. Game play footage when the game is closer to release. Then I wait for the game to be released for a couple days and I read reviews, some topics and opinions on the game's forums, watch a couple videos. From this I know if the game is for me or not.

There's only a few cases these days where I buy a game blindly, on launch day. In cases like these I take my chances because I have reason to be excited about the game, and there is no reason to wait for a review. I'm just going to buy it and see for myself. X is a good exaple of this. So is SMT x FE. I could buy either of these games now without knowing a thing, just based on their developers and the fact that I really enjoyed Xenoblade and SMT and trust that even in the event of bad reviews - I'm going to like at least some aspects of them. It's rare I do that though. Usually I give most releases a week to really get a better sense.

And additionally on reviews: they're so subjective I simply read through looking for what reviewers liked and didn't like, to see how they line up with my preferences. Let's say a JRPG is getting slammed for having too much grinding, say. I happen to generally like grinding if the battle engine is fun, so for me, if a reviewer slams a game for too much grinding, then it's probably a good game for me even if the reviewer hated it, depending on other things about the game. You kind of have to read reviews between the lines - the actual scores are meaningless.