Ever let reviews influence your decision to buy a game or not?

#21DarkAdonis123Posted 10/22/2013 9:38:15 PM
Other: if it's just a few negative reviews, it will have no bearing on me decision to purchase. But if it's like 90% of all the reviews saying its trash, something's usually up.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#22demesjos2Posted 10/23/2013 12:38:36 AM
I don't pay attention to scores if I'm on the fence about a game since most scorers can't properly score. What I look for is basically descriptions on what the game did right and what it's glaring flaws would be and decide from there. If it's a game I really wanted to begin with I will have preordered it and could care less about a review. This generation only final fantasy 13 let me down bad.
---
Currently playing - SMT IV, Suikoden V, waiting on Tales of Xilia to arrive at my door
#23fueled-systemPosted 10/23/2013 12:45:49 AM
I look at metacritic scores, if a game is in the 50s-60s it will raise red flags for me.

As far as reviews I remember Braid getting great scores and it could not have been more boring for me...
---
X FC- 4124-5020-3800 Name - Jim
#24MaciverPosted 10/23/2013 1:26:46 AM
I used to alllllllll the time, but then Tom Mcshea did me a massive favour big giving Skyward Sword a 7.5, and now I couldn't care what reviewers think because Skyward Sword is my favourite game of all time!

ZombiU and Wonderful 101 are another two I would have been reluctant to touch back in the day, but didn't give it a second thought, and I absolutely love both games :)! x

Cheers Tom! x
---
Wii-U addy BEADY MINK
#25STN79Posted 10/23/2013 1:46:41 AM
I never let my decision to purchase a game depend on reviews. I have a pretty good idea if i really want the game or not before hand. I also don't have this unrealistic expectation of games having to be completely flawless to be worth playing. I miss the days when you'd just try a new game and hope for the best. Sometimes you'd be pleasantly surprised! Finding out for yourself that a game is great is much better than having some guy you've never even met telling you what you should like. If i had let IGN tell me i shouldn't like Double Dragon Neon then that would be a game i would have been sorry to miss. Thankfully i IGNored them and found a hidden Gem!
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#26mcsmellingtonPosted 10/23/2013 1:52:46 AM
If there's a game I think looks good, I'll read and watch some reviews first obviously. If I went out and bought every game that I thought looked good then I'd be broke all the time.

I use the reviews as a gauge as to whether or not the game is as good as I thought it'd be. If it's getting consistently high ratings and similar sentiments across reviews, it's fairly safe to assume it's a good game. At the same time though, if there's a game I like that's getting middling reviews, I'll use them to judge whether or not I can look past the flaws. If I can, I'll likely get it, if not I'll still get it, but a few months later when it's less than half price.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#27mcsmellingtonPosted 10/23/2013 1:53:44 AM
Maciver posted...
I used to alllllllll the time, but then Tom Mcshea did me a massive favour big giving Skyward Sword a 7.5, and now I couldn't care what reviewers think because Skyward Sword is my favourite game of all time!

ZombiU and Wonderful 101 are another two I would have been reluctant to touch back in the day, but didn't give it a second thought, and I absolutely love both games :)! x

Cheers Tom! x

If anything, 7.5 was too generous a score.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#28amonte64Posted 10/23/2013 3:14:38 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Just wondering to see how much people are influenced. Anyhow, my decision to buy a game or not isn't influenced by reviews at all. If I think a game looks good, it's good to me. That's some kind of good game sense I've mastered over the years.

Anyhow, I'll be surprised if there aren't a lot of 1 or 2 votes, considering a lot of people are yelling how awful Sonic LW is based on reviews, without even playing it.

SMH man, seriously, SMH!

You know how you'll know if you'll like something? by trying it. If you go by what others say you are a fool. Plus, there is such a thing as biased, affiliated and corporate BS. Those that fall under that will attack and praise certain things on purpose.
#29MaciverPosted 10/23/2013 4:22:44 AM
mcsmellington posted...
Maciver posted...

Cheers Tom! x

If anything, 7.5 was too generous a score.

This illustrates my point perfectly, I love it, you obviously don't. Deal with it and move on! x
---
Wii-U addy BEADY MINK
#30Fisto81Posted 10/23/2013 4:30:17 AM
Reviews are BS. The only way to know if a game is good is by playing it yourself.

Can't spell IGNorant without IGN.