Only the Top Ten Selling games on the Wii U have made their money back.

#41DBPanterAPosted 10/24/2013 7:34:24 PM
ArabrockermanX posted...
aiyobro posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...
So basically you posted the top ten Wii U sellers then made up a story.

I figure some people have jobs here

40% goes to the store
20% to distribution
20% to developers
20% to publishers/managers

it could take maybe 10-20 people to port a game

Orcarina of Time cost what 10million to make
Games like Call of Duty on other system are literally costing like 40 million dollars to make after everything is said and done

I think that includes advertisement which CoD spends quite a bit on each year...

Call of Duty's advertizing budget generally exceeds $100 million, and gets closer to $200 million. It was over $100 in 2011, and I see more Ghosts info than I did MW3.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/09/06/activision-spares-no-expense-in-marketing-its-multibillion-dollar-franchise-at-call-of-duty-xp/
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#42DBPanterAPosted 10/24/2013 7:43:04 PM
aiyobro posted...
DBPanterA posted...

Where are you coming up with those numbers? Anyone who has worked or works at retail gets an employee discount. When I worked at Best Buy, it was 5% above cost. Purchasing video games meant I would save between $8-12 per game.

That would be on your stores part then, not the videogame publishers

but i said .20 as in .20 to hire Sound and Software people
.30 on the publishers part could be manufacturing, advertising,localization, outsourcing etc.

Regardless, those percentages you threw up are so off base it is funny. There are numerous articles on-line that say otherwise, including the two I included to make it easier.

40% to retail? No, retailers purchase allotments of games from a game publisher. Hypothetically speaking, lets use Super Mario 3D World and Target. Target purchases an allotment of 100,000 games to distribute to their stores. They could come to an agreement with Nintendo to promote the game and receive $1-2 more per sale. They could also choose to purchase 200,000 copies and receive $1-2 more per sale. At best, most retailers are purchasing a game for between $45-52. When they sell the game, they make $8-15 per sale, much less than 40% of the total of the sale. When a game doesn't sell, that is when a retailer will cut the price and eat their profit so they break even. When they don't sell a game, they return the game to the game publisher, therefore losing money. This is why retailers are upset at Nintendo and the Wii U: Lots of stuff sitting around, not making money.

And you do realize there are companies, such as Activision, who will spend $50 million to make CoD: Ghosts, then spend $200 million on advertizing. They have spent $250 million before selling a copy. However, they will see 15 million copies, sell DLC, sell pro packs, and end up not only covering their costs, but making a profit.....
---
#43aiyobro(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 10:08:08 PM
I can't read the second article but everyone is ragging on me

I clearly said in the opening paragraph 20-30 people making the game itself
#44vectorman5Posted 10/24/2013 10:12:03 PM
ZombiU didn't make a profit. Ubisoft said so themselves.
---
Five years ago we were sick of all the Mega Man games. Now we can't get one to finish development.
#45aiyobro(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 10:38:16 PM
vectorman5 posted...

Thank You

I'm trying to get people to observe how console exclusives and new IP's are limited on the install base right now since most people don't buy many games and well you know everyone buy's mario
#46TalentedMPosted 10/24/2013 10:40:13 PM
This just in! Games that sell a lot make money!
---
I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing
#47DBPanterAPosted 10/24/2013 11:01:06 PM
aiyobro posted...
I can't read the second article but everyone is ragging on me

I clearly said in the opening paragraph 20-30 people making the game itself

20-30? Are you referring to games made a decade ago?

Most games have teams of several hundred. Ubisoft has come out and stated Assassin's Creed 4 had a team of close to 1,000.

Most retail games today have massive teams working on them, which is one of many reason's why a game like Tomb Raider 5, which when it was announced it sold 3.5 million copies in the first month was deemed a failure by Square Enix

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/square-enix-reveals-sales-expectations-for-tomb-raider

Here is another article to give you an idea of how many people are making these games. Often in interviews (find them on youtube), the directors of games will say how many people worked on the game. I rarely hear numbers below 300. These are also seen during the games ending credits, and I don't even bother trying to count how many names appear on the screen.

http://www.destructoid.com/aaa-game-development-teams-are-too-damn-big-247366.phtml
---
#48zoogelioPosted 10/24/2013 11:18:36 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Rasputin77 posted...
"B-b-but $15 gazillion in the bank!"

What the hell is a jigowatt!?!

The unit of measurement for the satisfaction a grown man gets out of trolling even though he should have outgrown trolling a decade+ ago.
#49PedrotacopacoPosted 10/25/2013 2:39:55 AM
aiyobro posted...
AceMos posted...
and yet the wii U has still earned more money than the 360 earned for microsoft

It's still bad for industry though

the industry is in bad shape

look at your wii library and see how many times Games have changed publishers for a sequel or how developers are working with different studios now.

It's almost like it's not a big deal anymore, development and publisher changes for franchises happen with every sequel.

Atari is gone!
You realize this now?

Activision can't make anything besides billions of dollars on call of duty games
Only billions? Must be doomed

Star wars isn't coming back to Nintendo anytime soon

unless Disney forces ea to do so.

Megaman is a cyborg Buddhist now
Wat

Resident Evil went octopi on us
Wat

and F-zero just gave it's rights to mario and friends
?
How is any of this a good thing for us?
#50Neo_HeartlessPosted 10/25/2013 2:49:20 AM
aiyobro posted...
vectorman5 posted...

Thank You

I'm trying to get people to observe how console exclusives and new IP's are limited on the install base right now since most people don't buy many games and well you know everyone buy's mario

My WiiU library consists of the following:
NSMBU
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pikmin 3
W101
Rayman Legends
ZombiU

I intend to get Lego Marvel and Lego City. I might pick up Resident Evil from the eShop.

I'll not be judged by the likes of you.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]