Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Wii U $44.99 at Newegg

#1RemixDeluxePosted 10/24/2013 10:18:25 AM
Promo Code EMCWXVS42
---
It all starts with this, a jewel containing the ultimate power.
-Shadow the Hedgehog
#2The_HyphenatorPosted 10/24/2013 10:34:40 AM
Thanks for the tip!
#3STE573Posted 10/24/2013 11:04:23 AM
Am I the only person who refuses to pay the same amount for a 2D platformer as I do for a game like Skyrim?
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Playing- FFXIII-PS3, Killzone- PS3, Farcry 3- PS3, Golden Sun- GBA, Uncharted GA- Vita.
#421_21Posted 10/24/2013 11:08:38 AM
STE573 posted...
Am I the only person who refuses to pay the same amount for a 2D platformer as I do for a game like Skyrim?

Lol sucks to be you.
---
Currently playing: Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand, Pokemon Y, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#5The_HyphenatorPosted 10/24/2013 11:17:32 AM
STE573 posted...

Am I the only person who doesn't think that Skyrim is the gold standard for value in a video game?

Seriously, I like Bethesda's RPGs as much as the next guy, but I fully recognize that a lot of the runtime of those games boils down to repetitive dungeon crawls and fetch-quests, and management of character minutia (selling off loot after clearing a quest or dungeon, repairing/recharging gear, checking in with guilds I'm master of to get my periodic benefits, etc.). Sure, the game can last for hundreds of hours, but it's hundreds of hours of a lot of redundant stuff, with maybe 20 hours of really stand-out gameplay mixed in.

A Donkey Kong Country game, on the other hand, has a lot of meticulously-designed, challenging levels that rarely feel like you're doing the same thing over and over ad-nauseum. An average player might take 10 hours to play through once, or 20 hours or so to get 100% completion.

So yeah, objectively, Skyrim has a lot more content than a DKC title. But how much of that content is actually new and exciting, and how much of it is padding? How many nearly-identical dungeons can you explore and loot for the same gear before you decide you've had enough and just complete the main quest so you can call the game finished?
#6STE573Posted 10/24/2013 11:19:29 AM
21_21 posted...
STE573 posted...

Lol sucks to be you.

Strange thing is, I genuinely wouldn't pay full RRP for a 2D game. 15 years ago when most games were 2D it was fine but I have a mental block these days lol.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Playing- FFXIII-PS3, Killzone- PS3, Farcry 3- PS3, Golden Sun- GBA, Uncharted GA- Vita.
#7Skill4ReelPosted 10/24/2013 11:19:49 AM
STE573 posted...

I don't know but I haven't, and have never even thought about paying for an Elder Scrolls game. Although I would pay whatever the cost for a 2D side-scroller. I guess we all value different things.
#8RemixDeluxe(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:24:50 AM(edited)
STE573 posted...

wtf does this have to do with skyrim, you either like Donkey Kong enough to buy the game or you dont, simple as that.

P.S. Why do you (assuming you do) own a Wii U in the first place? Stick to PC where it will cater to all your needs and prices on steam.
---
It all starts with this, a jewel containing the ultimate power.
-Shadow the Hedgehog
#9harvestmoonmikePosted 10/24/2013 12:22:42 PM
Thing is, the game is discounted no matter what, well, I hope it still is at least. Back before the delay Nintendo announced that the game would have the retail price of 49.99, ten dollars cheaper than your average Wii U game.

But this is Donkey Kong Country, made by Retro Studios, it's going to be a triple-A game, worth every penny. I wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for it, I know they do great work, this isn't your average 2D platformer.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6t4FNRD.png
Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros.
#10STE573Posted 10/24/2013 1:03:03 PM
RemixDeluxe posted...
STE573 posted...

wtf does this have to do with skyrim, you either like Donkey Kong enough to buy the game or you dont, simple as that.

P.S. Why do you (assuming you do) own a Wii U in the first place? Stick to PC where it will cater to all your needs and prices on steam.

It's not really Skyrim tbh, I could have said any game with a expensive dev cycle, that was my main point. Although I don't think I got it actoss well.

I don't use my PC for gaming often, I prefer console/ handheld gaming by a mile. I own a Wii U because I like Monster Hunter, I want Bayonetta 2 and X.

The dev costs of Donkey Kong aren't going to be anywhere near the cost of GTA, Skyrkm, Cod, Battlefiels, TLOU etc so I just feel a bit shilled by the thought that they charge tge same unuform price and make more profit per unit.

It's not a conscious hate of 2D games, I just see a bit of greed there is all.
---
Im British!