Sonic Lost World- initial impressions.

#1STE573Posted 10/24/2013 10:51:32 AM
First of all I want to say that this is an initial impressions review, I've played about 6 hours and I'm a fair chunk into the game probably about 25- 30 levels.

I think a lot of people are band wagoning the negative reviews a bit much and they are doing it both ways, they are either jumping on the games back as being a bad game or are overcompensating for what is an average game. So here is my take on the game, it might not be what people want to hear, but it'll be the truth.

Having played and completed the best 3D Sonic game to date (colours) about a year ago, I felt like I was coming into this game familiar with what to expect and a fan of the colours series. There are sweeping similarities between the two games, everything from the humour to the presentation is where you would expect of it. It is a good looking game and it couldn't sound more like a Sonic title.

The gameplay, first off I'm not going to talk about speed, because this is something I am ill equipped to do so as I have only ever completed Sonic Heroes, Colours and nearly this one from the 3D universe (I have played all of them a decent amount though but still, it would be an easy thing to focus on). The game had multiple paths around the cylindrical rows you traverse along as well as it rewards familiarity with courses (you'll be able to go through a level twice as quick once you are familiar with enemy locations, power ups and speed tools). The things I didn't like were that in these things, the multiple paths and the familiarity of levels, it lost a bit of what makes it Sonic, the mindless tearing through a level that just flows, which would be forgivable if exploration or familiarity actually were rewarding like in a Mario game, but they aren't and ultimately makes the level design feel quite forced.

The controls are one thing I am again ill equipped to comment on. I found them precise at times and infuriating at times, I couldn't tell if it was my timing or the way that Sonic's inertia seemed to be less of a mechanic more of a cosmetic thing that was causing me to miss jumps and completely mistime my platforming. At times for mo apparent reason Sonic feels like he weighs a tonne and at times he feels to floaty to get a feel for. This is where the game falls short as a fun experience for me.

However, if you are a fan of Sonic (which I am admittedly not a huge one) there is lots to like, and you'd be forgiven for making excuses for the game without noticing you are doing so (seen it several times on here). But even if you are not there is something quintessentially forgivable about the game, it is fun, it is dumb at times and it is Sonic with his humour.

In conclusion, Sonic Lost Worlds is a 3D Sonic game, and the disappointment we have come to expect from such games is all to apparent. But this game doesn't have stupid forced mechanics, it isn't absolutely broken beyond recognition and it isn't boring to the point of tears. This game falls short in an entirely new way from previous games, the level design doesn't quite fit, Sonic doesn't feel consistent and the controls are more miss than hit. I'm going to play the game through to it's conclusion, and one thing to note is that it has never once felt like a chore and it has actually been good fun at times.

Verdict- 6.5/10

Add one point if you are a big fan of Sonic and minus one point if you have never played Sonic before.

Cheers.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Playing- FFXIII-PS3, Killzone- PS3, Farcry 3- PS3, Golden Sun- GBA, Uncharted GA- Vita.
#2philamikePosted 10/24/2013 11:03:36 AM
STE573 posted...
The gameplay, first off I'm not going to talk about speed, because this is something I am ill equipped to do so as I have only ever completed Sonic Heroes, Colours and nearly this one from the 3D universe (I have played all of them a decent amount though but still, it would be an easy thing to focus on). The game had multiple paths around the cylindrical rows you traverse along as well as it rewards familiarity with courses (you'll be able to go through a level twice as quick once you are familiar with enemy locations, power ups and speed tools). The things I didn't like were that in these things, the multiple paths and the familiarity of levels, it lost a bit of what makes it Sonic, the mindless tearing through a level that just flows, which would be forgivable if exploration or familiarity actually were rewarding like in a Mario game, but they aren't and ultimately makes the level design feel quite forced.

This sounds like the original sonic games. There were multiple paths you could take, usually something like high, middle, and low. You could not easily speed through a level until you were more familiar with it. Your description could easily apply to those games.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#3Bahamut_10thPosted 10/24/2013 11:07:36 AM
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...

This sounds like the original sonic games. There were multiple paths you could take, usually something like high, middle, and low. You could not easily speed through a level until you were more familiar with it. Your description could easily apply to those games.

Yeah, exactly.
Ever since the reviews started I had this feeling there were just a bunch of newbies bashing a series they didn't know until Dreamcast or something.
---
Learn to report topics and posts: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/?cat=18
And stop flooding.
#4STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:08:16 AM
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...

It could I agree, but not in the same context, I more meant it in a way that some levels in LW you couldn't mindlessly go through until you knew big parts of the level to a detail. The original Sonic games never felt like that for me, you could always get from A to B fairly easily without being forced to do a minute of precision platforming.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- X-STE-90-X Playing- FFXIII-PS3, Killzone- PS3, Farcry 3- PS3, Golden Sun- GBA, Uncharted GA- Vita.
#5STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:11:13 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...

Yeah, exactly.
Ever since the reviews started I had this feeling there were just a bunch of newbies bashing a series they didn't know until Dreamcast or something.

Look, calling me a newbie isn't going to magically make my opinion invalid, I've probably played more Sonic than you have and I've actually had hands on with the game. I will not defend my "review" simply because you think me ill qualified to do so. Fact it, it is a game that should be accessible to everyone newbie or not.
---
Im British!
#6philamikePosted 10/24/2013 11:14:32 AM
STE573 posted...
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...

It could I agree, but not in the same context, I more meant it in a way that some levels in LW you couldn't mindlessly go through until you knew big parts of the level to a detail. The original Sonic games never felt like that for me, you could always get from A to B fairly easily without being forced to do a minute of precision platforming.

What about Marble Zone from the first Sonic game? You have to do a lot of platforming to avoid the underground lava.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#7STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:27:35 AM
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...
philamike posted...
STE573 posted...

What about Marble Zone from the first Sonic game? You have to do a lot of platforming to avoid the underground lava.

Yeah, 30 seconds at a time once or twice in the full game, not every couple of levels for a minute or so. It wasn't even the presence of them so much that was the problem, it was the fact that the controls were unpredictable enough to make sure you took extra time to get it perfect.

Again it's hard to compare 3D to 2D because they work in different ways, comparing it to colours where precision platforming only really was big in one level IIRC (late in the game where sections of wall push you out for instant death) I could notice a difference in what the games were achieving in terms of level design, although Colours was much more linear.
---
Im British!
#843past5Posted 10/24/2013 11:28:27 AM
Generations was better than Colours.
#9nonexistingheroPosted 10/24/2013 11:35:55 AM
Multiple paths is very Sonic... doesn't get more Sonic than that. As for Colours best 3D Sonic ever? I just don't see what's so good about it. Beat it once and never played again... for most Sonic games I replay them a lot. Anyhow, I'd say this is the first Sonic game since Sonic Heroes that manages to bring the essence of the classics into 3D. It might not be perfect and could use some more polish, but if people don't like this I'd say they don't even like real Sonic games.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#10STE573(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 11:36:09 AM
43past5 posted...
Generations was better than Colours.

I've never actually played it, had it on 360 but then my 360 broke. I believe I also have it on Steam, can't recall though.
---
Im British!