It looks like the WiiU will be the premium console for online gaming

#1NintendoXGamesPosted 10/24/2013 6:22:01 PM
it's the only console that will have free online gaming, with great features and a great eshop
#2NathanDrakeSwagPosted 10/24/2013 6:23:37 PM
Too bad no WiiU games have online multiplayer :(
#3NintendoXGames(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 6:26:00 PM
NathanDrakeSwag posted...

Splinter cell

call of duty
#4LaManoNeraIIPosted 10/24/2013 6:26:48 PM

Mario Kart and SmashBros are going to have massive online communities. It will be Nintendo heaven
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#5Fisto81Posted 10/24/2013 6:26:52 PM
Yeah it's pretty sad that M$ and Sony get away with charging for online gaming. Pathetic.
#6IzecPosted 10/24/2013 6:28:45 PM
Free? Fine.

But that's the only advantage. Wii U loses in the digital sales field because their DRM attaches purchases to console rather than account and their consoles are sold with extremely low internal storage relative to the competition. Wii U loses in the speed field because the player is stuck with WiFi unless they use an external peripheral.

Wii U also lacks an indepth online ID system and is just getting on its feet in that regard, while PS4/Xbone already have an established infrastructure. They seem to be investing more into dedicated severs and cloud services than Nintendo as well.
---
Throwback Mode 4 Lyfe
#7lp913Posted 10/24/2013 6:33:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8lp913Posted 10/24/2013 6:37:27 PM
lp913 posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...

Mario Kart and SmashBros are going to have massive online communities. It will be Nintendo heaven

^ Exactly this, its simply foolish to believe otherwise. Had TC used the word "free" in the actual topic title, it would have been spot-on, no further questions asked!

Izec posted...
Free? Fine.

But that's the only advantage. Wii U loses in the digital sales field because their DRM attaches purchases to console rather than account and their consoles are sold with extremely low internal storage relative to the competition. Wii U loses in the speed field because the player is stuck with WiFi unless they use an external peripheral.

Wii U also lacks an indepth online ID system and is just getting on its feet in that regard, while PS4/Xbone already have an established infrastructure. They seem to be investing more into dedicated severs and cloud services than Nintendo as well.

^ Which will mean very little to the PS3/360 userbase that can't even transfer the near totality of their gaming content to the PS4/X1. At least Nintendo DOES let you move old Wii content to the Wii U.....much better than Nintendo in digital practice they're simply NOT!
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#9Jinzo 111887Posted 10/24/2013 6:43:15 PM
Izec posted...
Free? Fine.

Okay you have some points, but the dedicated servers are questionable and cloud services are a form of DRM. Sony requires you to pay a fee to play online even if they aren't hosting the servers for it. Basically, they are charging to act as a middle man. I don't know much about how MS works, but I'm not interested in their consoles. As for the cloud, do you remember what happened with Sim City? What about the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy on VC? You have congestion and games/servers getting pulled down. Because of the fact cloud is a form of always on line DRM, you may have trouble playing certain games in those situations. That being said, it might be fine for renting games, but I prefer to buy them instead.

On another note, there is another system going to be entering the console arena with free on line multiplayer. Technically it is a PC at heart, but so are two of it's competitors. It's the Steam Machine.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyyTHwjNds
He is so cute and very brute, he wears no suit and loves pursuit.
#10ReachOutToTruthPosted 10/24/2013 6:44:47 PM
I haven't touched the Wii U's online yet, sadly (no games to test it with.)

Are all games tied to a single account? Can you use usernames to find and track friends as opposed to friend codes? How is communication? Can you easily send messages and friend requests to people you meet online? How prolific is voice chat for those that wish to use it? Does the system support game invites if one player isn't currently playing that game?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm legitimately curious. The Wii, DS, and the 3DS have left such a bad taste in my mouth with regards to online play that I find it hard to believe Nintendo pulled off an online system worth bragging about. Bad enough that "free" doesn't begin to make up for it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/94p3Mvv.gif http://i.imgur.com/5fMYoER.gif http://i.imgur.com/bc4z4dP.gif