Two best "Final Fantasy" games this gen weren't even "Final Fantasy"

#1TalesRevenantPosted 10/26/2013 8:25:52 AM(edited)
http://kotaku.com/this-generations-best-final-fantasies-werent-named-f-1449859509

I've only played a bit of Lost Odyssey so I can't speak for it. The Last Story however was phenomenal. Alongside Ni No Kuni, best RPG I've played since the PS2 days.
---
Currently playing:
Pokemon X, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
#2chris1001 the sequelPosted 10/26/2013 8:28:52 AM
Lost Odyssey actually felt like a lost Final Fantasy game. This was looking like a fairly weak gen for JRPGs early on, but the last half of the gen was great. Not PS2 or SNES good, but very solid.
---
Sign my petition to ban petitions. 528 signatures. http://www.petitiononline.com/1337cl/petition.html
#3Fisto81Posted 10/26/2013 8:38:27 AM
I actually didn't like Lost Odyssey. The insane loading times for random battles, and sloooooooow ass battles, ruined it for me.

Last Story was pretty good though. Hope Mistwalker does something great for Wii U.
#4manmousePosted 10/26/2013 9:20:38 AM
yeah to me Mistwalker's games are the true FF successors. Hironobu Sakaguchi keeps the FF style alive and honestly his games just feel like they're truly the correct entries in the FF series in place of FF11-12-13series-14-15 etc.

FF13 felt like some glammed up J-pop anime kaleidoscope filled with make-up and salon styled hair and elaborate J-popstar costumes. to me, as a fan of FF1-10, only FF10 was anything like that. otherwise it was more about a mystical more simple fantasy style and nobody looked like a twilight vampire or popstar from Japan.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#5MilesTeg420Posted 10/26/2013 9:30:48 AM
We still haven't gotten the FF game we wanted since PS1 imo. Just give us traditional FF turn based gameplay, with a huge world map, air ships, chocobo's, a great villan, great graphics, no load times, incredible summon set pieces like the PS1 games, with a decent story and characters that aren't the very definition of cliche.
#6arvilinoPosted 10/26/2013 9:45:52 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
We still haven't gotten the FF game we wanted since PS1 imo. Just give us traditional FF turn based gameplay, with a huge world map, air ships, chocobo's, a great villan, great graphics, no load times, incredible summon set pieces like the PS1 games, with a decent story and characters that aren't the very definition of cliche.

I think you've poisoned the game already. Square just needs to make a good looking game, not a graphical spectacle.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#7ShinChuckPosted 10/26/2013 9:53:59 AM
arvilino posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

I think you've poisoned the game already. Square just needs to make a good looking game, not a graphical spectacle.

I think that's true. I would take an FF with all those things and only good looking graphics, rather than another XIII.

Of course, there's no reason we can't have both, but for Square Enix's increasingly shaky track record in recent years.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#8MilesTeg420Posted 10/26/2013 9:54:38 AM
arvilino posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

I didn't say a graphical spectacle. I said great graphics. That doesn't necessarily mean what you gathered from that.
#9BongbuddyPosted 10/26/2013 10:07:59 AM(edited)
I haven't played The Last Story or Xenoblade yet but I just finished Lost Odyssey yesterday. That is definitely the best console JRPG that I have played this gen. The ending was so emotional and the musical scores in the game really tug at your heart strings. The dream sequences are very sad and the music that accompanied them really provoked strong emotional responses. You also grow very attached to the characters by the end of the game (especially Jansen and Sed). Definitely a 10/10 game for me.
#10quickposterPosted 10/26/2013 10:09:20 AM
Final Fantasy is a brand now. I'm surprised people actually think XV will be good.