how to kill an excuse: Why there is no online for SM3D world

#1omniryuPosted 10/26/2013 10:28:24 PM(edited)
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I will show you how to kill an excuse.... omniryu style. We are going to every excuse that has been popping up the last two generations of Nintendo console on why they don't focus on online gaming on some of their games.
Let's start with Super Mario 3D World

1. It should be a focus on the couch experience.
This is the most common and obvious reasons they like to pick. Well we all know the obvious counter is that family and friends can some time move away far away from us. But lets go deeper than that. Why not let us play with or against the online community? Hmm? If you're willing to communicate with other gamers about games you like online, why not let us play online? 100% of you guys who enjoy the "couch experience" talk about your experience (of gaming in general) online and you even get to know some of these peoples habits. I don't get it. You are able to share your experience and opinions here then it shouldn't be too hard creating them through online play.

Let's not forget the original couch experience were the original local multiplayer games. Smash bros, street fighter, golden eye, and Mario kart. If NSMBU and SM3DW should not have online. Neither should the aforementioned games have them.

2. Latency, Mario needs a smooth & precise online experience and we have not reach there.

I find this one hilarious, because games like street fighter 4 and other high precision games have this mythical game breaking latency where it is unplayable! But the truth is nobody cares for the small insignificant latency. Not even Nintendo! Yes, that's right. Because Wii Sports is coming with online multiplayer which I believe would have more of a latency problem than SM3DW because not only you will have 2-4 players online but you have a more physics and input data than SM3DW. You know, wii motion and the actual physics. So what is the problem? (Please tell me)

3. Nintendo should focus their resource on the single player not multiplayer. So it can be a great game.
If it was ANY other company, I'd agree with you. However, we're talking about Nintendo. Who have banked 3-4 billions with three games and the very Nintendo who delays games to get games playing right. Why should you guys bring up such silly statement is beyond me. Nintendo have way more than enough to implement online multiplayer and keep a fantastic single player.

4. I don't care about online gameplay
Well I don't care about a lot of stuff but I don't post stuff I don't care about.

5. Not everything needs online
And??? Not every game needs local multiplayer! But they still went and implement it.

6. (This is new) It makes Nintendo unique in a world full of online games.
No, what makes Nintendo unique is Nintendo games. Not the lack of online multiplayer. Since when that makes them unique and how does that make sense? In fact, Nintendo's unique games are why we want their games online.

7. Make new friends loser
Aww, so all of a sudden I have no new friends? Let me tell you who I'm surrounded by COD and Madden players. I can get a few people to play but not enough to enjoy the full couch experience. And I'd have a higher experience enjoying the multiplayer online than locally because I'd have a higher chanve of finding people to play. Any time I want. And, hello! I can't (well I can) just go to a local game store and ask random people who will buy the game to come over my house and play. I go to the playgrounds of local elementary schools for that ;)

Any other excuses for me to shoot down?
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#2Wii_TruthPosted 10/26/2013 10:03:34 PM
tldr
#3Mandrew257Posted 10/26/2013 10:05:06 PM
Sorry, too long for me. Not reading.
---
If you're strong, you can fly, you can reach the other siiide, of the rainboooow.
#4ThatKippPosted 10/26/2013 10:11:34 PM
Not too long, did read. You made some good points, TC. This topic gets thumbs up.
---
They call me Wonder-Handsome
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#5omniryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 10:22:23 PM
Mandrew257 posted...
Sorry, too long for me. Not reading.

TLDR: Bs excuses = shot down.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#6zerooo0Posted 10/26/2013 10:23:45 PM
Agreed TC, my thoughts exactly.

It seems that the people who arent bothered by the lack of online are thinking rather selfish about only them. Like Im in College and the friends that I play games with are too far away to go to each other houses, while the new friends I have at college dont play video games.(They do Cross Fit & Longboard)

So yea TC great topic, but the title kind of sounded a little arrogant. I dont know why, it just does. But I 100% agree with the topic.

Also lol at the people saying TLDR, its not a long read, and I read this on my 10.1" tablet.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#7NovaLevossidaPosted 10/26/2013 10:23:53 PM
http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-online-multiplayer-isnt-our-focus-1452295638

"Now that is to say the answer to this question might change in ten years time, if thereís a future game where for example we donít think itís important to be able to see the face of the person youíre playing with, then we might be able to focus more on some online function there. But for right now our focus is really on a comfortable play experience with people in the same room."

Couch argument, but this time with a twist of it being important to be looking at someone's face instead of the TV or gamepad.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#8Oni_TaedoPosted 10/26/2013 10:24:40 PM
Here's my excuse:

I don't give a damn.

How's that?

That's why we don't have online in SM3DW, because I don't give a damn.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#9CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 10/26/2013 10:26:07 PM
omniryu posted...

3. Nintendo should focus their resource on the single player not multiplayer. So it can be a great game.

If it was ANY other company, I'd agree with you. However, we're talking about Nintendo. Who have banked 3-4 billions with three games and the very Nintendo who delays games to get games playing right. Why should you guys bring up such silly statement is beyond me. Nintendo have way more than enough to implement online multiplayer and keep a fantastic single player.

You still have to demonstrate that its worth the extra resources, and that it will pay back for them.

Your reasoning, without more specifics, is just a blanket excuse that can be put over anything that you want in the game.

"they should have added more levels"

"Ridley should have been playable"

"Music should have been orchestrated"

Etc etc.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#10zerooo0Posted 10/26/2013 10:26:14 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-online-multiplayer-isnt-our-focus-1452295638

"Now that is to say the answer to this question might change in ten years time, if thereís a future game where for example we donít think itís important to be able to see the face of the person youíre playing with, then we might be able to focus more on some online function there. But for right now our focus is really on a comfortable play experience with people in the same room."

Couch argument, but this time with a twist of it being important to be looking at someone's face instead of the TV or gamepad.

More like a selfish excuse. Like my situation that isnt possible.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.