how to kill an excuse: Why there is no online for SM3D world

#101jillwarrenPosted 10/27/2013 2:18:51 PM
Let's look at things critically though. Why should THIS GAME have online? I'll give you my reasons why THIS GAME does not really benefit from it.

1: This game's levels are not optimized for online experiences. The multiplayer here is basically a copy of the NSMB series take on multiplayer. It really doesn't know what it wants to be just yet. When playing with a jerky person, you wind up missing powerups, falling into gaps, and floating in a bubble. The mode can work really well, but it is far from perfected. Spending time in a bubble or as tiny Mario while others run around taking everything is not my idea of fun, especially not online. The main solution is good lobbies, but there is absolutely zero evidence that anyone at Nintendo knows how to make excellent lobbies.I'm not sure just how easily you can find any of that. Take Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: there are loads of people who have a difficult time finding what they want in those lobbies.

2: Platformers in general are not great at multiplayer, much less online. The two heavily praised platformers with online are the Little Big Planet games, which are terrible platformers. The draw of those games is the extras they bring, which are fantastic. Without the user created content, the Little Big Planet games would be largely forgotten. This is a 3D Mario game. It is not about user generated content.

3: Lag and framerate matter in games. You bring up fighting games; do you visit fighting game forums often? Heavily invested gamers HATE those online modes because they take away from the experience. Heck, Brawl can be horrible with lag. WWE games are darn near unplayable online. While these are issues that can be worked around, there is no indication that anyone at Nintendo knows how to do this.

Long story short: in the future, this would be a nice feature. For this game to come out with online, it is going to need a significant delay with Nintendo needing to learn how to do a mode online that is almost universally not done well online by any other company. I would rather that they take their time learning how to do these things right than delay every title they come out with until they do. I'm ready for 3D World right now.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#102omniryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 3:06:20 PM
jillwarren posted...
Let's look at things critically though. Why should THIS GAME have online? I'll give you my reasons why THIS GAME does not really benefit from it.

1: This game's levels are not optimized for online experiences. The multiplayer here is basically a copy of the NSMB series take on multiplayer. It really doesn't know what it wants to be just yet. When playing with a jerky person, you wind up missing powerups, falling into gaps, and floating in a bubble. The mode can work really well, but it is far from perfected. Spending time in a bubble or as tiny Mario while others run around taking everything is not my idea of fun, especially not online. The main solution is good lobbies, but there is absolutely zero evidence that anyone at Nintendo knows how to make excellent lobbies.I'm not sure just how easily you can find any of that. Take Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: there are loads of people who have a difficult time finding what they want in those lobbies.

2: Platformers in general are not great at multiplayer, much less online. The two heavily praised platformers with online are the Little Big Planet games, which are terrible platformers. The draw of those games is the extras they bring, which are fantastic. Without the user created content, the Little Big Planet games would be largely forgotten. This is a 3D Mario game. It is not about user generated content.

3: Lag and framerate matter in games. You bring up fighting games; do you visit fighting game forums often? Heavily invested gamers HATE those online modes because they take away from the experience. Heck, Brawl can be horrible with lag. WWE games are darn near unplayable online. While these are issues that can be worked around, there is no indication that anyone at Nintendo knows how to do this.

Long story short: in the future, this would be a nice feature. For this game to come out with online, it is going to need a significant delay with Nintendo needing to learn how to do a mode online that is almost universally not done well online by any other company. I would rather that they take their time learning how to do these things right than delay every title they come out with until they do. I'm ready for 3D World right now.

Again, resorting to straw man. You might find a stutter and think its is like that 100% of the time. And hey?! There are still people playing street fighter iv, regardless of a few complaints about lag. Again, what is stopping them from playing offline?

And (off topic) people do want user generated content. Have you not heard the full screen mario story?
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#103omniryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 3:08:47 PM
Do everybody here have a 56k modem? So you guys are constantly getting lags? And the one mythical chance you get a smooth session it is rampant by trolls?
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#104jillwarrenPosted 10/27/2013 6:24:11 PM
omniryu posted...
jillwarren posted...

Again, resorting to straw man. You might find a stutter and think its is like that 100% of the time. And hey?! There are still people playing street fighter iv, regardless of a few complaints about lag. Again, what is stopping them from playing offline?

And (off topic) people do want user generated content. Have you not heard the full screen mario story?

I thought you wanted a real discussion? I addeessed reasons why THIS GAME would not benefit from it. Strawmen argument is how you respond. I ask that you seriously discuss these points. I mean, is your entire point that an online mode would be worth delaying the game?
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I give God all glory. Just so you know, I am a guy; my wife picked this username.
#105pearl arowanaPosted 10/27/2013 11:57:29 PM
omniryu posted...
Do everybody here have a 56k modem? So you guys are constantly getting lags? And the one mythical chance you get a smooth session it is rampant by trolls?

rofl. exactly. i am worried about wii u. naw they started making ridiculous excuses.
---
OMG that the best cringed ever!!
ROFL
#106albertojz356Posted 10/28/2013 12:37:34 AM
Online co-op games are my favorite online multipayer experiences, I feel like this is a missed opportunity. I believe Nintendo's real reason for avoiding such thing is that either it's too costly in terms of time for them to implement it or they just don't know how to for a game like that. Their whole "couch" reason seems unfair to me because not everybody has the luxury of getting together at any time but online play adds a very nice shortcut bridge around it. It's not about having no friends or anything of the sort it's about said friends either being far away, too busy, or not interested in the same games so the local multiplayer while being more fun has many limitations that online play does not.
---
I support my favorite Nintendo Starlets: Pauline, Palutena, Anna, Captain Syrup, and also Bayonetta for Smash Bros Wii U/3ds.
#107ChipChippersonPosted 10/28/2013 1:41:17 AM
What did people do before online gaming, sit and twitch because they were forced to be alone for awhile?
---
We got no food, no jobs... our PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
#108pearl arowanaPosted 10/28/2013 1:58:54 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
What did people do before online gaming, sit and twitch because they were forced to be alone for awhile?

dude if you already plan with family member or friends.. then there will be not much a wait...

unless u want to play with random people... again if the game is popular.. there will be alot of people ready to play

and some games like Street fighter allow you to play offline mode before someone online jump into action and you kick their asses.
---
OMG that the best cringed ever!!
ROFL
#109Neo_HeartlessPosted 10/28/2013 2:21:57 AM
I just want to apologise because I'm not reading through 100+ posts of what will most likely be the same drivel we've seen in every other of these topics.

The reason the game doesn't have online is because Nintendo didn't add it. The end. We can complain and make excuses all we want but the only reason its not there is because Nintendo didn't want it. It sucks as it would have been a perfect game for online and I agree we should complain about it.

But to Nintendo. Not here.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#110AShockCipherPosted 10/28/2013 2:34:59 AM
The one and obvious reason is because they didn't feel like it, why is that so hard to understand? We don't need to speculate or theorize about anything.
---
"If you're gonna worry about Japanese ****, buy a Wii U."
- Michael Pachter