the wiiu doesnt require mandatory installs for the games...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. the wiiu doesnt require mandatory installs for the games...
2 years ago#21
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...
Vyers posted...
The Wii U doesn't require mandatory installations because the hard drive couldn't sustain it.

Wii U is fully compatible with external harddrives. Xbone and PS4 aren't

But both come with 500GB standard. Thats enough(even assuming every game has a 40-50GB download) for plenty of games at once(more than you can fit in the Wii U's internal storage, anyway(even assuming every XB1 game requires 40GB+ while every Wii U game is under 5GB(which isnt true)). Meanwhile the Wii U ships with a paltry 32GB of storage and requires you to shell out even more money for an external HDD. You're also Ignoring the fact that the XB1 has been confirmed to add support for external drives in a update and the PS4 will let users swap out their internal drive for any standard 2.5" drive(even SSDs).

In terms of price and choice of storage options:
PS4>>>Wii U>XB1

and after the XB1 gets the update to allow external drives, it'll be PS4>>>XB1>Wii U.

All three have options for storage that are much better than last gen, but only a fanboy would act like the Wii U has a great storage setup compared to the other consoles. It's a fine setup(and will work fine given the file size of Wii U games compared to XB1/PS4 games), but not having a internal HDD(or a moderately large amount of flash storage) puts the Wii U solidly behind the others IMO.

Wii U doesn't require game installs

: \
R.I.P LaManoNera
2 years ago#22
It has you know, game updates, but you don't have to install the whole game.. :/
:3 i play games lolololololol
2 years ago#23
Drumguy posted...
Zezrs posted...
wii u is for poor people

^Probably bought a PS3 at launch LMAO

^Actually bought a wii u LMAO
2 years ago#24
LaManoNeraII posted...

What looks to be interesting about the PS4 is it won't either. The system caches data instead of installing it, while you play. The area of the hard drive is flushed when you switch games and the process is started over for the new game that you're playing. So it looks like 50GB of the hard drive is used for the cache, and only a small size of permanent data is stored per game. That's a really cool way of solving a storage problem. I think EverQuest was the first game I knew about caching in, and I thought it was a cool concept back then too. Kind of full circle.

Granted, you're still going to get some ridiculous file sizes if you download games, but at least the ones on disc are taken care of. I'm not sure if the Xbox One is doing anything different from a straight install/
2 years ago#25
their biggest sku doesn't even have enough space to hold 1 next gen game...of course they don't require mandatory installs. o_O
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
2 years ago#26
Like many have said, Wii U doesn't have enough space to have mandatory installs. Unlike what many have said, it is worth noting that Wii U discs have much faster read speeds then Blu Ray so unlike other systems, Wii U doesn't NEED games to be installed to work.
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
2 years ago#27
Dash_Dash88 posted...
The wii u doesn't require it because the wii u don't have the memory to do it, when cross gen games stop it's going to be even more of a problem for the wii u to get multiplats due to the file size of the games.

data caching =/= mandatory installs

already been confirmed by Sony
"A laptop is a handheld console" - LOL_FAQ
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
2 years ago#28
LaManoNeraII posted...

As far as we know only the XB1 requires them

but I was talking about DLing games as well as installing, since all three consoles have made digital distribution a focus
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
2 years ago#29
It's true the WiiU Drive is small. If you're downloading more than just VC Games it'll not last long.

However at least it has the possibility of external hard drives. It would be worse if it didn't. I'm going to be finding out soon how well it works. I'm thinking of buying the digital version of Sonic Lost World, and I have several more days to decide if the extra features of Revelations is worth double dipping.
[Wubeth Intensifies]
2 years ago#30
Sailor Goon posted...
ps4 doesn't have mandatory installs

Kiddo you learn something new today.

Kiddo? Goon is 35 years old. lol
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. the wiiu doesnt require mandatory installs for the games...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived