Curious. Would you switch Mario 3D World and New Mario Bros. U release dates?

#1CubeTVPosted 10/29/2013 7:32:48 AM
I noticed that both the Wii and 3DS did this: Main 3D Mario game came out first, then the 2D one. With the way the Wii U is (sales wise), it seems like it would have been better all around if Mario 3D World and New Mario Bros. U were swapped out.

Both games would play the exact same like they are in this time. No cut or removed features for either of them.
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#2stargazer64Posted 10/29/2013 7:48:23 AM
I don't think it would have mattered. Wii U at launch had many more problems than just Mario could fix.
---
"...so much wrong with this post it reached critical mass and became a black hole of ignorance from which no educated thought can escape." - GenocideH
#3Banjo2553Posted 10/29/2013 8:09:15 AM(edited)
According to Nintendo themselves, 2D Mario games sell much more than 3D Mario games. So I don't think it would've made that much of a difference, to be honest.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#4xbs2034Posted 10/29/2013 8:33:32 AM
Banjo2553 posted...
According to Nintendo themselves, 2D Mario games sell much more than 3D Mario games. So I don't think it would've made that much of a difference, to be honest.

Yup, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has sold more than Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, and 3D Land combined, and the DS original sold even more than that.

It is clear that the 2D Mario games are the biggest attractions, the one issue I do think Nintendo messed up on was releasing NSMB2 so close to U, I would have either released that game in 3D Land's spot or held it till after the Wii U's launch.
#5HermeticJusticePosted 10/29/2013 8:48:05 AM
Yes

with SM3DW people would have associated the Wii U with new

but with the 4th NSMB games in 9 years, being on every console, it associated the Wii U with rehash

Wind Waker HD didn't help that claim either
---
Currently Watching:
St. Elsewhere, Days of Our Lives, Full House
#6b1gt0nePosted 10/29/2013 8:52:31 AM
stargazer64 posted...
I don't think it would have mattered. Wii U at launch had many more problems than just Mario could fix.

lol

like what??
#7VyersPosted 10/29/2013 9:00:37 AM
If 3D World came out at launch, I think cancelling New SMB U - or perhaps simply down-porting it and replacing New SMB 2 with it - would be ideal. I don't think that the game as is could entice people with 3D World as its competition.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#8HermeticJusticePosted 10/29/2013 9:04:21 AM
Vyers posted...
If 3D World came out at launch, I think cancelling New SMB U - or perhaps simply down-porting it and replacing New SMB 2 with it - would be ideal. I don't think that the game as is could entice people with 3D World as its competition.

Seeing the sales of NSMB and NSMB Wii I could see why Nintendo would think that

though IIRC both those games where made after the systems had an established install base, something both the Wii U, and even the 3DS ATM, are lacking
---
Currently Watching:
St. Elsewhere, Days of Our Lives, Full House
#9stargazer64Posted 10/29/2013 9:10:36 AM
b1gt0ne posted...
stargazer64 posted...

lol

like what??

Like people not knowing what the system was, not caring what the system was, having a bunch of ports as launch titles, not giving XB360/PS3 owners a reason to care about it, not demonstrating a compelling need for the tablet controller, lack of a Wii Sports-type appealing piece of software (Nintendoland did not do this), OS issues, not lining up compelling software in the months after the launch, launching severely underpowered hardware as a 'next gen' console, pricing it too high with not enough storage....need I continue?
---
"...so much wrong with this post it reached critical mass and became a black hole of ignorance from which no educated thought can escape." - GenocideH
#10stargazer64Posted 10/29/2013 9:13:06 AM
Most people still don't know that the Wii U is a new system. They think it's some weird Wii accessory.
---