The 3DS should have been the Wii Us game pad.

#1kaiser ryuPosted 10/30/2013 8:18:56 AM
The standard controller should have been akin to the GC/CCP and it should have fully supported all Wii peripherals in and outside of emulation.

To compliment this scenario, they should have pushed to have a unified Nintendo account that allowed for streaming play as well as VC on all current Nintendo systems with a single purchase.

A more conventional console design would have ensured more third party developer confidence. And the massive 3DS install base would have ensured a high degree of flexibility for developers to try off screen play features in a nearly risk free environment.

Doing this a year before Sony would have been absolutely fantastic. It may have been playing things more safely than Nintendo has in years, but their console almost certainly would have been in a better place right now financially.

This is in no way fueled by my burning desire to play Super Metroid and Minish Cap on my 3DS. I promise.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06 : 3DS FC 0189-8575-3761
#2icarus231Posted 10/30/2013 8:27:36 AM
No, just no. The wii u implementation of the screen is perfect the way it is. If they did a 3ds/wii u connection you would have too much lag. The same issue you will see with the ps4/vita connection. If you don't like the screen and want something conventional then go run to sony and ms. Your loss.
---
NNID: Icarus231
PSN: Icarus_231
#3MilesTeg420Posted 10/30/2013 8:32:15 AM
Here is what I think Nintendo should do - release a third pillar. It will be a tablet. It can act as a Gamepad for Wii U, and also plays 3DS games. With this functionality, Nintendo won't even have to release software for it - 3DS and Wii U can support the device by themselves. Sell it at a profit.
#4kaiser ryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 8:32:53 AM
icarus231 posted...
No, just no. The wii u implementation of the screen is perfect the way it is. If they did a 3ds/wii u connection you would have too much lag. The same issue you will see with the ps4/vita connection.

People demoing the PS4/Vita say there's next to no noticeable latency while streaming.

If you don't like the screen and want something conventional then go run to sony and ms.

Stop that immature nonsense right now. I want something convenient and for Nintendo to provide it because I like Nintendo software. Right now they are skipping over a major feature they are fully capable of implementing (at the very least unified accounts and a universal digital distribution network) that there is finally demand for (when in past generations they've pushed for it while the tech wasn't fully there) and opting for what many see as a cheap tablet/handheld hybrid locked to a console instead.
---
#5kaiser ryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 8:35:31 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
Here is what I think Nintendo should do - release a third pillar. It will be a tablet. It can act as a Gamepad for Wii U, and also plays 3DS games. With this functionality, Nintendo won't even have to release software for it - 3DS and Wii U can support the device by themselves. Sell it at a profit.

Why do that when they could have simplified it all and just had the 3DS be this third pillar - without the need for a third pillar?

The Wii U could have been the realization of the handheld/console merger Nintendo has been pushing for since the SNES. Instead, they made another handheld device and locked it to the console and confused gamers everywhere. All the while offering one of the most limiting online experiences in modern gaming. Lack of unification between Nintendo products sucks.
---
#6halomonkey1_3_5Posted 10/30/2013 8:37:43 AM
the gamepad should have been the 3DS
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#7MilesTeg420Posted 10/30/2013 8:39:51 AM
kaiser ryu posted...
MilesTeg420 posted...

Why do that when they could have simplified it all and just had the 3DS be this third pillar - without the need for a third pillar?

The Wii U could have been the realization of the handheld/console merger Nintendo has been pushing for since the SNES. Instead, they made another handheld device and locked it to the console and confused gamers everywhere. All the while offering one of the most limiting online experiences in modern gaming. Lack of unification between Nintendo products sucks.

Yeah, looking back, if Nintendo had developed the Wii U and 3DS concurrently to work together as one platform, this could have worked well. 3DS as the handheld and controller, with the console being the console. Release them same day.

It's worth noting that Nintendo has since combined their handheld and home console teams. This should result in much more focused hardware in the future.
#8icarus231Posted 10/30/2013 8:48:37 AM
kaiser ryu posted...
icarus231 posted...
No, just no. The wii u implementation of the screen is perfect the way it is. If they did a 3ds/wii u connection you would have too much lag. The same issue you will see with the ps4/vita connection.

People demoing the PS4/Vita say there's next to no noticeable latency while streaming.

If you don't like the screen and want something conventional then go run to sony and ms.

Stop that immature nonsense right now. I want something convenient and for Nintendo to provide it because I like Nintendo software. Right now they are skipping over a major feature they are fully capable of implementing (at the very least unified accounts and a universal digital distribution network) that there is finally demand for (when in past generations they've pushed for it while the tech wasn't fully there) and opting for what many see as a cheap tablet/handheld hybrid locked to a console instead.

Well if you think sony and ms are the correct formula for a proper system then they will be a better fit for you. Its that simple, I was in no way being immature.

The are more than capable of giving you that feature however they don't have to. You are not entitled to it. They do not have ot let you buy a game for one system and use it on all of them.

If you like their software then deal with their hardware. Its like getting a Dodge and whining it isn't more like a ford.

Also until I see PS/vita running with next to no lag in the real world I wont believe it.
---
NNID: Icarus231
PSN: Icarus_231
#9FredSavage27Posted 10/30/2013 8:48:41 AM
If the 3DS was the GamePad, there would be more lag, the features would take longer to load, it wouldn't be used nearly as much, and off-screen play would be impossible.
#10kaiser ryu(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 8:49:00 AM
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
the gamepad should have been the 3DS

I honestly expect this to become the case in the future. It really feels like the future of handhelds in light of the emergent tablet market and the console push for becoming multimedia hubs with large degrees of multi-device connectivity is in tablet style proprietary handhelds with exclusive connectivity to their like-branded console cousins.

What rubs me the worst is Nintendo was so close to this concept this gen. Sony is now managing to be closer, but I feel the price of the Vita, its feature bloat (I fully imagine these handheld/tablet deals to be fairly simple in features), and its lack of stand alone offerings is slowing their progress to this end.
---