It's not really funny, but kind of ironic in a way....

#1SS4_NamreppivPosted 11/1/2013 6:30:02 AM
People calling the Wii U GamePad a gimmick, and complaining about it, yet Microsoft and Sony both have their own gimmicks with their current and upcoming consoles. PS3 has the MOVE, and 360 has Kinect. X1 has an improved Kinect, and PS4 has the Move and a touchpad on the DualShock 4. While each 'gimmick' offers a different experience, are they really needed? Would you buy an X1 if it didn't have Kinect? Or a PS4 if the controller was the same as DS3?

I'm just curious to see how this will go over on this board, and how the trolls will twist my words.
---
"I tried one of your dishes once. I truly believed a part of my soul died."~Dunban
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 11/1/2013 6:34:04 AM
Gamepad is a gimmick that drives up the cost of the system and is underused.

Kinect is a gimmick that drives up the cost of the system and will be underused.

Dualshock 4 is a regular controller with a slight functionality added in that doesn't drive up the cost of the system and might be underused.

Two of those situations affect the price and are selling points of the system based on features that are either underused or haven't been used meaningfully in the past. The other situation neither affects price nor the traditional gaming experience, so no one's going to care if it's underused.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#3AdamLazarusoPosted 11/1/2013 6:38:49 AM
I find it not really funny but kind of ironic in a way how a lot of people on this board seem to think that just because other consoles share the same flaw it somehow negates a flaw on the Wii U.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#4AdamLazarusoPosted 11/1/2013 6:39:14 AM
DS3 isn't really gimmicky at all, btw.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#5philamikePosted 11/1/2013 7:11:31 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
I find it not really funny but kind of ironic in a way how a lot of people on this board seem to think that just because other consoles share the same flaw it somehow negates a flaw on the Wii U.

Ever play Boggle? If two or more lists contain the same word, it is removed from all lists.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#6abbyhitterPosted 11/1/2013 7:27:30 AM
NovaLevossida posted...

The GamePad is underused? Every Wii U game uses the touchscreen of the GamePad and offers off-TV play.

You make no sense.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#7slymshadyPosted 11/1/2013 7:30:05 AM
All 3 are gimmicky and probably won't be fully utilized by developers
#8AsellusPosted 11/1/2013 7:32:43 AM(edited)
I don't think anyone really denies they're gimmicky but the new systems at least have solid hardware backing them up in addition to said gimmicks. With the Wii U it seems like Nintendo pegged everything on tablet-style controls recreating the original motion-control boom.
#9evoxpiscesPosted 11/1/2013 7:50:02 AM
abbyhitter posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

The GamePad is underused? Every Wii U game uses the touchscreen of the GamePad and offers off-TV play.

You make no sense.

Was just about to say this
---
3DS FC: 4055-4011-0349
#10j_darrellPosted 11/1/2013 8:01:24 AM
Kinect was a gimmick, but it was an add-on and is less than 3 years old. So instead of complaining about Kinect and Move being "gimmicks," we're supposed to complain about them for "copying."